Loading tunes on my Clip

Tried to download some tunes from my computer to my new Clip last night and got nowhere.  My Dell does not have a 2.0 USB port and that seemed to bother the Clip (got several pop ups).  Could this be causing the problem?  Any suggestions on how to overcome this?  (Besides ponying up for a new computer)  Thanks

Yes, the manual that comes with the Clip states that it requires a USB 2.0 port.

You could get a USB 2.0 PCI card adapter (for desktops) or a USB 2.0 PC card (for laptops). 

I have only USB 1.1 ports on my main comp (BX board) and zero problems with my 8G Clip in MSC mode (save for things being kinda slow, obviously - but with LAME -V 4 -q 0 MP3s one doesn’t need that much patience either). There may be some warning messages about a high-speed USB device being connected to a low-speed hub but I think one can disable those if desired.

OK.

jimbob1018, how are you trying to copy songs onto your Clip, and what happens when you do (besides the USB 2.0-related popups)?

Had this with an earlier computer and I just ignored the pop-up message–the tunes transferred fine at the slower USB speed (I was using USB MSC mode).

@miikerman wrote:
Had this with an earlier computer and I just ignored the pop-up message–the tunes transferred fine at the slower USB speed (I was using USB MSC mode).

I get that message once in a while, but not most of the time.  It just goes a little slower , like you said.

I’ve had the pop-up message come up before on other remote hardware, but was able to continue the download.  With the clip, I get nothing when trying to download from MP3Rocket (music source).  I will try tonight and download directly from a CD.  If I get it, I’ll know it’s the source and not the Clip.  (FYI - My Nano recognizes and downloads from MP3Rocket without any problem.)  Thanks again.  Great responses.

@jimbob1018 wrote:
I’ve had the pop-up message come up before on other remote hardware, but was able to continue the download.  With the clip, I get nothing when trying to download from MP3Rocket (music source).  I will try tonight and download directly from a CD.  If I get it, I’ll know it’s the source and not the Clip.  (FYI - My Nano recognizes and downloads from MP3Rocket without any problem.)  Thanks again.  Great responses.

I’d be careful with that MP3Rocket…the RIAA might track you down.:wink:

I agree.  I did my research when the download didn’t work and it made me a bit hinky so I uninstalled it and deleted the songs.  A friend had told me about it when I got the Clip and I had dreams of the old Napster days.  Too much worry over whether it’s legal or not, so I dumped it.