Keeps cycling: Writing...Connected...Disconnected

I recently acquired a 1GB Sansa Clip.  When I attach the USB cable to one of three different computers running Windows XP SP2,

the display on the clip lights up, cycling through the messages “Writing…Connected…Disconnected”, with the Windows USB “badonk”

sounds.  The device will briefly show up in My Computer when it connects, but disappears each time it disconnects.

On the device, I have done the “Reset All” and “Format”.  I have tried all USB modes; Auto Detect, MTP and MSC. 

The firmware version is V01.01.18A.

The USB cable is probably not the original, but I have used it with a different MP4 player with success.

Is the Sansa USB cable special?  (I’ve encountered that with my cell phone before.)

As I understand it, there are no special USB drivers to install for this device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Does it react the same when you attempt to connect it to the other 2 computers?

Yeah, that’s the thing; it does this on my desktop, my laptop and my wife’s laptop computer.

I’m wondering if it’s just a bad device.

If it’s doing the exact same thing on 3 different computers, I would be inclined to agree.

I also would try a different USB cable, if you have one handy.

Yep, found another cable and that fixed it!  Everything seems to be working, I was able to load some mp3s and play them just fine.

@artiej wrote:
Yep, found another cable and that fixed it!  Everything seems to be working, I was able to load some mp3s and play them just fine.

Great! But you might want to change the ‘Accepted Solution’ then and give Miikerman the credit. He is the one who suggested trying a different cable.

Thanks–I’m just glad it worked–congratulations!  Sometimes I even can remember the simple solutions, which sometimes even work!

:slight_smile:

Thanks Miikerman.  Credit given where credit due!