Just bought it Not working Media wont convert PC recognizes but doesnt show up any info

OK So i bought this for my husband for christmas. I was going to upload a bunch of music and photos and stuff before i shipped it off to him. Well i am very disapointed. When i plugged it in the first time it my computer detected it and when i clicked to open it and view the files everything was there… Well I tried to add some pictures and things and found out nothing was going to be compatible so i dissconnected it downloaded the Media Converter and plugged it back in. Well this time my computer said that there was some sort of error on the hardware and it may not be working properly well now when i open the Sandisk Sansa Fuze from my computer the folder is complelty blank.

OK well i decided to just overlook that and try converting some media well I am following the steps and all but it will not let me click convert it is not clickable… I am trying to add and convert a JPEG photo taken with my digital camera.

I really thought i had stumbled on a great product after reading reviews but not I am not so sure.

I wanted to let you know that I am running Windows XP 

Does anyone know how to fix these problems Please Help. 

can you try running it in msc mode when connecting?

Ok so i am totally new to this thing and don’t know what you are talking about can you talk to me like i am computer stupid

turn on your fuze, go to settings, system settings, usb mode and media convert itself is quite buggy… I cna’t even get my fuze detected by it.

Message Edited by eaglle1337 on 12-04-2008 01:59 PM

You have to go to settings>system settings>USB Mode on the Fuze.

Ok well that got my folders to show up but it is saying there is nothing in them even though there is music on my player!

But that still doesnt solve my Not being able to convert media issue does anyone know what is going wrong?

Actually to correct myself that actually did solve my converter issue but still doesnt explain why my music is not showing up in the folders on my pc

Files (music) put on your player in one USB mode (let’s say MTP) will not be viewable by you on your computer while the player is connected in the other mode (MSC). And vice-versa.

So because of this it’s best to pick 1 USB mode and stick with it to avoid confusion. MSC works the best and easiest, unless you really have some pressing need for MTP, like DRM -encrypted files (Rahapsody, Napster) or ‘borrowed’ audio books from you library (Overdirve, etc.).

It could be one other thing . . . do you see a MUSIC folder? This is usually ‘hidden’ by default. You have to connect it to your computer, then open Windows Explorer and go to TOOLS, Folder Options… and click the VIEW tab. Scroll down and check the box next to ‘Show hidden files and folders’.

Ah the memories of Windoze…I remember getting confused a lot because I could never remember how to permanently make it show hidden folders. In my Linux computer, I just click a menu and choose ‘Show Hidden Folders’, and it permanently shows them until I uncheck it off the same menu.

Anyways, my MUSIC folder isn’t hidden on my Fuze. So why would it be hidden on someone else’s Fuze? 

Because as you just said, you’ve already set your Linux machine to show hidden files? The MUSIC folders have a ‘hidden’ attribute by default and Windows, again by default does not show hidden files unless you tell it to; which is what i was suggesting as a possible scenario to MrsJ.

Her problem is probably the MTP vs. MSC issue though. The sample songs that comes on the Fuze are put on in MTP mode, which would explain why now, while her player is in MSC she cannot see them but they are still on the player.

Because as you just said, you’ve already set your Linux machine to show hidden files? The MUSIC folders have a ‘hidden’ attribute by default and Windows, again by default does not show hidden files unless you tell it to; which is what I was suggesting as a possible scenario to MrsJ.

Her problem is probably the MTP vs. MSC issue though. The sample songs that comes on the Fuze are put on in MTP mode, which would explain why now, while her player is in MSC she cannot see them but they are still on the player.

I am not sure what the issues was but it all seems to be working ok now… I think maybe it was where it told my my hardware may not be working properly because the next time i plugged it in the ICON of the Fuze was even different and now everything seems ot be working ok with viewing the files on it as well as Converting my pictures and such thank you all for the Info! Hopefull I dont have any more issues with it.

I do not keep it set to show hidden files on a normal basis, and yet these supposedly hidden directories on the Fuze are still showing up without the show hidden files option set. Also, I do not see a . in front of the MUSIC directory, and Linux always puts a . in front of them, e.g. .MUSIC instead of just MUSIC .