Intermittent "Transferring" Message

I just purchased the SanDisk Clip Sport 4GB MP3 Player and am experiencing an intermittent “Transferring” message when it is plugged into my computer by the USB cable it came with.

The first time it was plugged in, the screen alternated between “Charging” and “Transferring.” The message stopped after about an hour and a half and went to “Charged” and “Transferring.” 

I took it out, turned it off and powered it back on. 

I then plugged it into the computer again and it went back to alternating between “Charging” and “Transferring.” It did this for about 10-15 minutes before changing to “Charged” and “Transferring.” 

The “transferring” message confuses me as I have never tried to transfer any files or updates to it. All I have done so far is plug it in and let the driver download to my computer. 

I am on a Windows Vista PC. 

What can I do to fix this? Thank you for any help. 

Mine does exactly the same. I think it’s just showing that it’s both charging and acknowledging the fact that it’s connected to a computer. If you plug it into a wall charger it just charges and doesn’t show the same screen.

2 Likes

Thank you, MacUser. It sounds like it is not a problem. 

I read in an online manual for this MP3 player that it cannot be unplugged “while it is transferring” so the flashing “Transferring” message made me nervous. 

Just in case, I have been unplugging it when the “Charged” screen is showing. 

It is working okay otherwise. (I’ve added a few audiobook/podcasts without any problems.) 

This is the first MP3 player I have ever used besides a tiny iPod shuffle with no screen so it’s a change! I bought it for my dad for Christmas to play his audiobooks and I’m testing it out, hopefully it works well. 

this is the normal operation of the device. If you want to make sure there is no transfer going on either use safely remove hardware or eject the player before disconnecting. otherwise just ensure you are not transferring data and unplug it. 

2 Likes

@drlucky wrote:

this is the normal operation of the device. If you want to make sure there is no transfer going on either use safely remove hardware or eject the player before disconnecting. otherwise just ensure you are not transferring data and unplug it. 

Thank you for providing that info. If it would be necessary to use safely remove hardware or eject, what would the procedures be? I am not sure this is necessary as I am not actually doing updates or transferring files when it does this, but this may be good to know for future reference.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/safely-remove-devices-from-your-computer

hope it helps

I think the “Transferring” message may indicate either a Windows program like Explorer, or a virus scanner, accessing the device.  It causes no problem that I’ve seen.

1 Like