Fuze radio won't play

Gentlemen.

I just bought a refurbished 2 gig Sansa Fuze about a week ago. Everything worked just fine… until I lost the radio. It just stopped working one day.

I checked the pause/play function, still didn’t work. Then I checked the settings for the radio, restored the factory default settings, and I’ve even reformatted the player. NOTHING. Even searching the Interbutts brings me no hope. I’m currently trying to charge the thing, hoping that somehow does something, but I presume it won’t. What is going ON?! How can I fix this without spending money to replace it?

Sincerily,

Dippy

Download the firmware and install it on the player. If this doesn’t work, then return the player for replacement.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=38046

I made sure to install the firmware the moment I got it, so I THINK I’m all up to date. Also, I just spent 30 smackeroos on this one so I kina dun wanna buy anudder wun. :C

“I made sure to install the firmware the moment I got it, so I THINK I’m all up to date.”

It’s not a matter of having the latest firmware. If the firmware in the player becomes corrupted, the player might not function properly.

How do I remove the existing firmware and install the new version?

Dippy wrote:
How do I remove the existing firmware and install the new version?

I’m not sure if it will help your problem, but just re-install (manually) the latest firmwware. And make sure to set your FM options to the correct geograhical area for proper frequency recognition.

Dippy, you don’t need to remove the old firmware, the new one will overwrite it. Just download the new firmware, extract it from the archive and drag&drop it on Fuze icon in My Computer. Detach your Fuze and wait till it updates itself.

Message Edited by Etoja on 03-22-2010 08:39 AM

That worked! Thank you!

Except it didn’t. It worked for a day, and now I have no radio again.

I hear a very faint hissing noise with the volume turned all the way up, but no actual audio.

Message Edited by Dippy on 03-23-2010 05:20 PM

Dippy wrote:

Except it didn’t. It worked for a day, and now I have no radio again.

Well, time then to see just what kind of warranty came with that re-furbed player.

Same thing happened to mine.  I purchased it new, 4 GB model. Has the newest firmware on it.  Turned on radio, had bad reception but I could hear the station. Couldnt find any stations nearby, which is impossible in New York City! Tried to run the auto-preset function, it didnt find any stations!  Now, even with re-applying firmware, turning off, turning on, I do not hear anything from the radio.  Other music is fine.  Anything to else to try?

Of course I am 6 months past the 1 year warranty…

Thanks. 

Is the region on the player set to North America or to World? Have you tried using the player with a headphone with a shorter cord? In NYC your player may be suffering from signal overload from being too close to some very strong stations. Using a headphone with a shorter cord, or folding up part of the cord may help to reduce the signal coming to the player. Some radios have a “local” switch to reduce the incoming signal, but the Fuze doesn’t have it.

If you can’t get the radio on the player to work, I suggest that you get a Sony SRF-59 AM/FM radio. It is just $15 and has great sound quality(throw away the inluded headphone). It will play 100 hours(140 hours on AM) on just one AA alkaline battery(you could also use a AA nimh rechargeable).

Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried 2 different earphones, same result.  I tried mono vs Stereo, no luck. I had it set to North America, but I did try World to try finer frequencies, and same–not even static. Something has to be faulty with the radio itself.  I will check out that Sony one.  I’d love to have AM for the occasional sports game on radio. Thanks.