Fuze crashes on playing OGG

Yesterday I was firing op my new Sansa Fuze with some mp3’s en ogg files. The mp3’s played just fine but when I wanted to play the ogg files the fuze crashed. Odd thing is that my ogg tags weren’t recognised either. The ogg files are created with cdex. Any idea what might cause this crash?

I must say I bought the fuze for its compatibilty with my ogg files.

@hydrodioxide wrote:

Yesterday I was firing op my new Sansa Fuze with some mp3’s en ogg files. The mp3’s played just fine but when I wanted to play the ogg files the fuze crashed. Odd thing is that my ogg tags weren’t recognised either. The ogg files are created with cdex. Any idea what might cause this crash?

I must say I bought the fuze for its compatibilty with my ogg files.

I am feeling generous tonight and won’t just point you to the FAQ and search function.

1. What OS are you using? I see cdex is only available for Winblows so it must be one of them.
  2. Which version of CDex are you using?
  3. What tag version do the files have? The fuze does not like IDv4, that’s coming (I think).
  4. Have you got MP3Tag? It’s free download and install it, it will tell you what tag version the files have.

Message Edited by hazza on 01-28-2009 08:23 PM

Thanks for the generousity … :neutral_face:

I must point out that I did use the search and faq options but both didn’t give me the information I was looking for. I might have overlooked it though.

About your questions:

1 = windows XP

2 = latest stable version that is 1.51

3 + 4 = dunno, mp3tag gives me ogg vorbis comment. I’ll look into it.

To conclude… you think it’s the tags that crashes my fuze and not an encoding problem?

@hydrodioxide wrote:

To conclude… you think it’s the tags that crashes my fuze and not an encoding problem?

I have never used cdex but I play ogg files and ONLY ogg files with no problems, ever. Others with a version 1 Fuze have reported (we are still trying to confirm the “bug” ) that the Fuze will lock when changing from a VBR ogg to a CBR mp3.

To conclude, yes it is probably the tags but I can download cdex and install it to my kids computer to confirm it is not cdex.

Message Edited by hazza on 01-28-2009 08:55 PM

@hazza wrote:

I have never used cdex but I play ogg files and ONLY ogg files with no problems, ever. Others with a version 1 Fuze have reported (we are still trying to confirm the “bug” ) that the Fuze will lock when changing from a VBR ogg to a CBR mp3.

To conclude, yes it is probably the tags but I can download cdex and install it to my kids computer to confirm it is not cdex.

Ok I lied, I have used cdex… way back before I became “enlightened” and started using Linux. As soon as I fired it up it felt familar. I noticed that cdex only has options of IDv1 and IDv2, so tags being in IDv4 is definitely NOT your issue.

The only change I made in the options of cdex was to rip in Ogg Vorbis format and added an e-mail address to make CDDB queries. I ripped a single song from CD and it played with no problems all the way though, recognised the tags and all.

What firmware are you runnig on the Fuze? Ogg support wasn’t added untill later. Check your firmware version by going “Settings -> System Settings -> Info”. If it does not say 1.0.22 or 2.0.17 then you need to upgrade it. Find and follow the firmware updating instructions in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Strange… I updated the firmware yesterday, so it must be the latest 22 version, right?

I will try some other ogg files tonight.

@hydrodioxide wrote:

Strange… I updated the firmware yesterday, so it must be the latest 22 version, right?

I will try some other ogg files tonight.

Depends, if you used the updater and it didn’t work then no, you won’t be at the latest version. The only way to confirm you are at the latest version is to check it on the Fuze.

I hope that SanDisk change the numbering scheme, skip some numbers on the v2 and have them so that both v1 and v2 fuzes are on the same number. That way we can say, check the last 2 digits, if it is at XX then you are on the latest.

I rewrote the tag using mp3tag (type is still vorbis comment). That fixed the tag problem but the fuze still crashes on trying to play the ogg files.

Message Edited by HydroDiOxide on 01-30-2009 10:42 AM