Fuse and Podcasts

I have read where WMA audiobooks work best on the Fuse when played as podcasts. In my Windows Media Player11 Sansa Fuse section I am not able to change the genre to podcast as it does not appear as an option. Podcasts do show up on the player itself, but I can’t find any way on the player to change the genre to podcast. Any suggestions on this.

Should there be a Fuse file on my computer other than on the Windows Media Player. Some of the posts say something about a Fuse directory on one’s computer and I cannot locate one. In the software on the small cd data disc that came with the unit all I saw was stuff relating to Rhapsody which I am not interested in.

There are two USB modes on the Fuze under Settings. MTP connects to Windows Media Player. MSC makes the Fuze work like a flash drive (two of them–one for the unit’s memory and one for the microSD card slot). 

Your computer can only see one mode at a time. The Fuze will index all the content you have put on it.

So if you want to switch to MSC mode and drag over the podcasts–not through Windows Media Player, just drag-and-drop–you can do that. But in MSC, your computer won’t be able to see the stuff you have already sent over in MTP. 

Podcasts are not always tagged correctly–they don’t have consistent information for the Fuze to find what they are. You can fix them with mp3tag.

Under Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg set it to Write tags as ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Fuze likes those. 

Highlight the file and put Podcast as Genre, then Save (under File). 

@nwdixieboy wrote:
I have read where WMA audiobooks work best on the Fuse when played as podcasts.

Can you elaborate the advantages?  I’m very curious as to what they might be, as the Fuze’s behavior in handling podcasts and audiobooks seems identical in my usage scenarios.

I just got mine. Can you have a WMA audiobook file begin again from where it stops? I can’t put the file in the Audiobook genre as only Audible.com files go in there. Just learning the ropes.

@black_rectangle wrote:

So if you want to switch to MSC mode and drag over the podcasts–not through Windows Media Player, just drag-and-drop–you can do that.

And just to be clear, though you may have said or implied that:  If you do choose to just drag-and-drop, you can choose to leave the tags the way they are, and just drag to the Fuze’s folder “Podcasts” (or however it’s spelled in your Fuze if you used MSC–maybe “PODCASTS”?).  This post from sansafix says you can either tag as Genre=“Podcast” or drag-and-drop to the “Podcasts” folder to get them to show up on the Fuze as Podcasts.  Other sansafix posts state the same either-or behavior for audiobooks.

@nwdixieboy wrote:
Can you have a WMA audiobook file begin again from where it stops? I can’t put the file in the Audiobook genre as only Audible.com files go in there.

That’s a misconception: the Fuze’s Audiobooks menu item is not just for Audible files.  Just drag-and-drop your WMA files to the “Audiobooks” folder on the Fuze, or tag each as genre = “Audiobook” if you’re loading via a program like WMP (I think–I’ve never done this, always just dragged and dropped).

If they are protected WMA, like local library OverDrive Media audiobooks or NetLibrary audiobooks, then you have to use the OverDrive Console app or WMP, respectively.

And yes, the great thing about the Fuze and Clip menu items “Audiobooks” and “Podcasts” is the great resume (“begin again from where it stops” ) of all those files.

Message Edited by jj2me on 06-06-2009 06:40 PM

Problem solved. My WMA file audiobook begins again from where I shut it off so my problem is solved.:slight_smile: