Freezing, song stops and another song take over

I have an old 1G Sansa Clip that has been working fine. Now it will freeze and I have to turn it off and back on the get it to start again.

Also, a song will cut off in the middle and a previous one will start in the middle of the new song.

The firmware is 01.01.35a. Is there any hope or should I just replace it?

Thanks

Have you added any songs or changed anythng since it operated correctly and now?

Yes, I Ioaded new songs by connecting it to my pc and doing the drag and drop method. I’ll reformat it and try again.

I did load a couple of .wma format songs. Could this have caused the issues?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

@kordster wrote:

Yes, I Ioaded new songs by connecting it to my pc and doing the drag and drop method. I’ll reformat it and try again.

_ I did load a couple of .wma format songs. Could this have caused the issues? _

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Could be. WMA format can be “copy protected”, meaning they’re limited to only play on an authorized device. Are these songs you ripped from CD’s via Windows Media Player? WMP by default rips in .wma “protected” format. You have to go into the Rip Settings and either un-tick the ‘Add Copy Protection’ box or change the format to .mp3. Then re-rip those songs (deleting the DRM-encrypted ones first of course)

Also, formware can become corrupted over time.  You might try, if the above steps don’t help, manually reapplying the latest firmware to your player (see the Firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum).

Just wanted to let you know, I believe it is working correctly now. I formatted it, then added only mp3 files. Listened to the entire list and it worked correctly.

Thanks for all the help.

Great to hear!   :)   Formatting seems to be a universal fix for the clips–along with a reset by holding the power button on for 20-30 seconds (or even more). 

Switching to .mp3 may also have been the fix.