Converting jpegs for my Sansa Fuze player

I have had this player for months [using it for audible books].

I am away from home with a small netbook. I do not have the software that came with the device.

I tried to load some photos [in jpg format] from my hard drive onto the Sansa. I get an error message saying that the files are not compatible with the player. I tried compressing them and some of the pictures became viewable on the device, but most did not.

Any suggestions on how to concert the pictures so that they are viewable?

I can down load a utility from the web, but do not have the media converter that came with the player?

Should I rotate portrait images so that they take up more of the screen [leaning sideways]?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Make copies of your photos that are .JPG and smaller than 1024x768 using any photo editing software.

Sure, you can get all those image-editing goodies. But even  boring old Microsoft Paint will resize a .jpg.

@spacepatroller wrote:
Here’s one of the best image editing software packages in the world: I have several

http://www.irfanview.com/ 
be sure to get the full set of plugins. This thing can create slideshows and screensavers convert filetypes, resize/resample and do things that enhance images the list of which is too long to get into here but I’ve used it to salvage badly miscolored images. The RGB color enhance, brightness, contrast, gamma and saturation are all on one console If you can have only one image editor, this is the one to have

Seconded.  It will even do batch conversions, so you can have Irfanview do most of the hard work automatically, including sending the results (processed copies, leaving the originals) direct to your Fuze (asuming it is in MSC mode)… leaving you to hand process the odd one that needs improving