I bought a Clip Zip yesterday, updated the firmware, and now it won’t power on.
- charged it until the battery was over 50% (per the firmware update support page)
- played around with it for a bit, hit the Settings page and others. Unit seemed perfectly normal.
- set the usb mode to MSC
- downloaded the update (01.01.20), extracted clpza.bin
- connected the unit to my mac (os 10.6.8)
- copied clpza.bin to the root of the clip zip file system
- player showed a firmware progress bar
- player turned itself off (manual says it will do this after update is done)
- player won’t turn on. Screen is blank. Connecting to mac, player does not power on, charge, or establish any connection.
I searched this forum and the web, and tried:
- player unconnected to mac: tried to reset by pressing down the power button for 20+ seconds
- player unconnected to mac: tired to resest by pressing down power button for 20+ seconds, release, press again once
- pressed ‘select’ button (middle one) while connecting usb cable to computer (this supposedly can re-establish the connection to computer)
- left the player connected to pc overnight to see if it would charge. Disconnected and tried steps 1 thru 3.
None of those steps worked. Player is still dead.
Any advice on this is much appreciated. I bought this unit to evaluate it for purchase by my students in the language class I teach, so they could each have their own player and listen to their listening comprehension assignments. I’m not impressed so far.