Clip won't register being plugged into computer

I recently got a new windows 8 hp computer and plugged in my Sansa clip+ ready to upload some music and… nothing. No error message no nothing. It charges but it won’t seem to register. Then I tried to download the updater install thing and it won’t even open. It will download the install into the folder and won’t open to actually install the program I guess. 

Why won’t it register being plugged into the computer?? I’ve tried the front USB ports and the back ones and got nothing.

It should work regardless, but if you set the player’s USB mode under System settings to MSC, will it connect now?

Hi silentmelody, did changing it to USB mode made a difference for you? Just to make sure, all your USB ports are enabled right? Because sometimes, manfucaturers ship USB ports disabled by default.

@jimmyghd wrote:
Because sometimes, manfucaturers ship USB ports disabled by default.

Now, _ that _ seems a silly thing to do.   :frowning:

I am having the exact same issue… my clip will charge, but the computer does not recognize it at all… have tried switching the USB setting.

@ldesim wrote:

I am having the exact same issue… my clip will charge, but the computer does not recognize it at all… have tried switching the USB setting.

Did you try different USB ports?

Sometimrs with a connection issue, it can work to connect the player to the computer (whether a connection results or not), go to Windows’ Device Manager, de-authorize the Clip drive, diconnect the Clip from the computer, and then re-attach it–this forces Windows to try to create a connection anew, which then can work.