Clip freezes on Database Refresh

I just picked up a 2gb clip to replace my aging Sansa m230, and I seem to be having a problem with my new player.  My problem is that once I disconnect the player from my PC, it hangs on “Refresh Database”.  Out of the box, the player hung at 0% refreshed, and after the firmware upgrade to 01.01.17A, it now hangs at around 90%.

I use linux, which has never been a problem for mp3 players, so I don’t think it’s the OS.  It just doesn’t make it past the refresh.  If I reset it, and go back in, it shows 0 songs.  If I hook it up to the PC and browse it, I can see everything.

Anyone else having this problem?

Ok! Seems I solved my own problem.  I started copying the music folders one by one to the player.  Finally got to one that caused the freeze-up, so I must have a corrupt file or something.

Left that folder out, and the rest of it works.

Now I need to get some playlists made with EasyTag.

hey…i need some help…i got a sansa clip mp3, i downloaded the music but then when i unplugged it it just stayed on the display screen and it wont change from there…now i can even unfreeze it what should i do?

Try to hard reset the device by slide up the power button upward and hold it there for 10 seconds.  If you hold it long enough, the screen will turn off and then you can turn it back on to see that fixes the rpoblem.

After charging today and disconnecting from the computer my 2MB Clip now freezes on the Refresh Database screen, it get 3/4 of the way then stops. Holding the power button up for 10 seconds then turning back on does not help, I can’t get to the menu to reset either? Thanks

Golden;

You might be releasing the power button too soon. Hold it on until the Clip turns off. That may take as much as thirty seconds.

If that fails, try to connect and control it with your PC. Perhaps it will start working for you.

If that fails, force it to MSC mode by placing the Power/Hold swith in its locked position. Then hold down the Select (center) button while connecting the Clip to your PC. If it shows up in My Computer, right clip on the Sansa Clip drive icon and select Format. That will erase all your songs, but there is no way to save them if we had to resort to this mode anyhow.

Message Edited by Tweet on 06-10-2008 08:21 AM

Thanks tweet. It came right this morning after plugging it in. I had held the switch until shutdown. The only thing I could think of that I did differently was to disconnect from USB without first shutting down the device, something I usually do, but I don’t think that should normally be a problem.

I’m Having a problem with my sansa clip i tried to do a hard reset but it doesn’t work i can connect it to my computer because it stays stuck on refresh database

Can anyone help me :frowning:

Have you forcing the Clip into MSC mode?  Slide the power switch to the hold position and keep pressing the center button while you plug the Clip into your computer.

If you can get connected in MSC mode, reformat the Clip and load the latest firmware.

i renamed the MTABLE.SYS file on my clip to 000MTABLE.SYS. the refresh database freeze went away after that. then i reconnected to my computer and deleted the 000MTABLE.SYS file (a new MTABLE.SYS file had been created)

ewookie wrote:
i renamed the MTABLE.SYS file on my clip to 000MTABLE.SYS. the refresh database freeze went away after that. then i reconnected to my computer and deleted the 000MTABLE.SYS file (a new MTABLE.SYS file had been created)

The smae result could be obtained by just simply deleting the mtable.sys file. That’s the datbase file and a new one will be generated upon dis-connect from the computer.