Clip broken/coming apart on my Clip Zip

I have never dropped my Clip Zip, but apparently the plastic on the clip is very, very fragile.

A few weeks ago, I noticed what seemed like tiny hairline fractures/cracks on the clip (again, it’s worth emphasizing that I never dropped it). 

Fast forward a few weeks - the fractures/cracks have deepened and spread all over the clip, and now the clip is pretty much useless. I tried patching it with duct tape, but it’s no use - the cracks are all over the piece of plastic that *used* to be the clip!

Is there anything I can do about this? I really like having the clip around, it’s very helpful when I am out walking or jogging.

Paul

You could try contacting SanDsik Tech Support about a possilbe RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) and a warranty replacement. Don’t know if they’ll give you one, but it’s worth a shot.

Can’t say as we’ve heard of many others with this issue. Mine seems to be pretty well built. It could be your casing just had a bad casting in the plastic.

Okay, so what’s the best way of getting in touch with them about my issue?

By phone.

In the US, call:

1-866-SANDISK (726-3475)

8a.m - 7p.m Pacific Standard Time
11a.m - 10p.m Eastern Standard Time
CLOSED Saturdays and Sundays

If not is the US, you can find contact information for your geograhical location here.

This is my second Sansa Clip. On the first one, the clip broke after six months. I use it for walking , so I broke down and bought another one. Now, I have a Sansa Clip Zip and the clip broke again today. I love the clip zip, but  I am very frustrated.  These things aren’t cheap when I have to buy one every year.  I’m trying to get in touch with someone to see if they have a replacement clip.  I don’t know what to do at this point. Someone please help. Give me some ideas.

Carolyn

The Zip doesn’t have replacement clips–they’re part of the player.  But if you’re still within the warranty period (1 year U.S., 2 years EU), simply telephone SanDisk for a replacement–voila!

Sounds like you might want to re-examine your usage of it and how/where you clip it. These things are generally pretty sturdy but they aren’t bullet-proof.

Ah, I always fear a stress crack when using the Clip’s clip–it just feels like an issue ready to happen, given the stresses caused by opening the clip/putting significant pressure on it to use it. 

There are a few threads over on ABI Forums where people have modded their Clips (Pluses & Zips included) when their clips have broken off. Most grind the remaining plastic off with a file or Dremel tool and then glue a different clip onto them. You might want to check them out. There are pictures showing the finished results and some are quite nice looking and fully functional. Beats throwing away a perfectly good (in every other way) mp3 player. :wink: