Clip+ 8GB + 16GB card + Media Player sync confusion

Player is on original firmware V01.01.05F.

Seems reasonable copying files using media player sync to internal memory. Problems with external card 16GB (PNY 16Gb)

Copying to external memory ‘seems’ to go ok but like someone else, but when I come back to an album, there may be missing tracks!

To the external card only it doesn’t copy over the time and the year.

All albums are listed as 0 secs long + Tracks state they are 00.00.00 long and year is unknown.

Genre information is sometimes lost also and are listed as ‘unknown’ genre.

Windows confirms this loss of information in explorer. But the tracks play!

Any ideas?

First, I’d update to the latest firmware, and see if that helps–there have been bugfixes (and enhancements).  See the sticky thread at the top of the forum for the firmware and how-to.

Second, does everything work well with the internal card?

Third, by any chance do you have another external card to try out?  There have been some reports about some external card incompatibilities (yes, I know, they all should be interchangable and work–I don’t understand this, but that’s electronics …).

Thanks,

So far everything has gone well with internal memory.

I think I’ll try drag and drop + ditch Media Player sync function for a while.

Seem to remember there are a couple of different USB modes you can pick from…?

Mine is set to auto.

Different matter

Also have to say the low volume issue is bonkers.

An EU limit is unworkable (Do you know the EU directive number?). The required volume level is dependent on:

Type of music: Classical NEEDS a higher volume level

Sensitivity of your hearing : Some hearing impaired people MUST HAVE a higher volume level, indeed the lack of available volume actually descriminates against them.

Environment: User needs to be able to drown out background noise on an aircraft for instance.

Mood : occasionally people may want a ‘blast’ of loud music…All the Clip+ offers is a wimper of music

As Headphone sensititity varies hugely how can a dB limit ever work anyway it’s techically impossible without sticking a microphone in your ear canal + feeding that back to the player gain control !!

The choice over volume must be with the consumer.

The Clip+ is the lowest volume player I’ve ever come across. I’ve an old Bush MP3 player that only uses a single AAA cell, and it can go hugely louder than the Clip+, I’ve never used the Bush at maximum.

Note my Clip+ is set to HIGH volume. At Normal setting I’d say it’s so quiet that it’s actually not fit for purpose. It would be drowned out by normal street noise only useable in a library!!

A brand new Yoo Digital 1802 MP3 player also can go louder than I would ever need, isn’t this also subject to the EU directive?

Have Sansa gone beyond the EU directive + got it wrong??

This is all yet another reason to hate those idiots in Brussels.

You may want to set the USB mode to MSC–it tends to be less problematic than MTP mode (and Auto, which will switch between the 2 modes, depending on a computer’s capabilities; and which may, as a result, make only part of your music viewable on an attached computer at a given time–argghh!).

To get around the EU volume limitation, either reapply the firmware or reset the Clip’s settings to default, and then choose N. America or Worldwide for the region–that will get you a hi-lo volume setting.

JerryUK wrote:

Seems reasonable copying files using media player sync to internal memory. Problems with external card 16GB (PNY 16Gb)

Copying to external memory ‘seems’ to go ok but like someone else, but when I come back to an album, there may be missing tracks!

To the external card only it doesn’t copy over the time and the year.

All albums are listed as 0 secs long + Tracks state they are 00.00.00 long and year is unknown.

Genre information is sometimes lost also and are listed as ‘unknown’ genre.

Any ideas?

Could a counterfeit or defective card.

JerryUK wrote:

Copying to external memory 'seems' to go ok but like someone else, but when I come back to an album, there may be missing tracks!

To the external card only it doesn't copy over the time and the year.

All albums are listed as 0 secs long + Tracks state they are 00.00.00 long and year is unknown.

Genre information is sometimes lost also and are listed as 'unknown' genre.

Any ideas?

Could be a counterfeit or defective card.