Clip+ not recognizing music on SDHC card

My Clip+ recognizes music I’ve put directly on it.

My computer recognizes music I’ve put on the SDHC card, whether the card is in an adapter or in the Clip+.

My Clip+ does not recognize music on the SDHC card when the SDHC card is in the Clip+.

Help?  Thank you.

Are the songs you’ve put on the card in a recognized format (.mp3, .wma, .flac, .ogg)?

Are you looking for the songs in the Artist, Album, etc. lists? If they’re not there, look to see if you have an “Unknown” listiing in your Artists list. Are they there? If so, that means the ID3 tags cannot be read by the player. You’ll have to edit or change the format of the tags.

Are you inserting the card into the Clip+ when it is off, so that when you turn it on it will refresh the database, adding these songs to the listings on the player?

Are you sure the card is fully seated into the slot on the player? You will hear 2 faint clicks as you push it in; one when the mechanism grabs the card, and the 2nd when it is locked.

Are the songs you’ve put on the card in a recognized format (.mp3, .wma, .flac, .ogg)?

Are you looking for the songs in the Artist, Album, etc. lists? If they’re not there, look to see if you have an “Unknown” listiing in your Artists list. Are they there? If so, that means the ID3 tags cannot be read by the player. You’ll have to edit or change the format of the tags.

Are you inserting the card into the Clip+ when it is off, so that when you turn it on it will refresh the database, adding these songs to the listings on the player?

Are you sure the card is fully seated into the slot on the player? You will hear 2 faint clicks as you push it in; one when the mechanism grabs the card, and the 2nd when it is locked.

Is it a new memory card? What size? Where did you get it? I ask because we’ve heard about a lot of counterfeit 16 & 32Gb cards being sold online (mostly through eBay) out of China.

Tapeworm wrote:

Yes, .wma format.

Yes, I looked in everything including “Folders,” which tells me the External uSD Card is empty.

Yes.

Yes.

Is it a new memory card? What size? Where did you get it? I ask because we’ve heard about a lot of counterfeit 16 & 32Gb cards being sold online (mostly through eBay) out of China.

Its a Veho brand 4gb Micro SDHC , bought it through Amazon from BlueProton.com.  It works fine in the adapter, the Clip+ itself just isn’t recognizing any music I put on it.

hi ! After freezes problem with my 16Gb card on my clip+, i’ve tried with a 2Gb card but the freeze still. I was obliged to format the Clip+ with no card inserted and then the 2Gb card worked… Maybe you should try to format the clip+

jonedeuf64 wrote:
hi ! After freezes problem with my 16Gb card on my clip+, i’ve tried with a 2Gb card but the freeze still. I was obliged to format the Clip+ with no card inserted and then the 2Gb card worked… Maybe you should try to format the clip+

Just gave that a shot, made sure both the Clip+ & the Card were formatted alike (FAT).  Still have the same problem…the Clip+ knows there’s a Card in it, just doesn’t see any music.  I’m able to put music on both the Clip+ & the Card via usb connection, but only the Clip+ is seeing any music when I disconnect from the computer.

Thanks for trying.

@chaunceyk wrote:

Just gave that a shot, made sure both the Clip+ & the Card were formatted alike (FAT).  Still have the same problem…the Clip+ knows there’s a Card in it, just doesn’t see any music.  I’m able to put music on both the Clip+ & the Card via usb connection, but only the Clip+ is seeing any music when I disconnect from the computer.

Anything above 2GB should be formatted as FAT32.

@tapeworm wrote:

When I use the Clip+ option to Format the player, it does so as FAT.  Should I use my computer to format it to FAT32?  And should I use my computer to format the Card as FAT32 as well?

@chaunceyk wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

When I use the Clip+ option to Format the player, it does so as FAT.  Should I use my computer to format it to FAT32?  And should I use my computer to format the Card as FAT32 as well?

FAT would be correct since your player has 2GB memory. But you should uyse Windows to format your card (4GB) to FAT32. it should offer this format up as the default when it recognizes the size of the card.

You also could use the SD Association’s SD Formatter, which it recommends over Windows’.  (Personally, I’d try it–perhaps it could help.)

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

@tapeworm wrote:

FAT would be correct since your player has 2GB memory. But you should uyse Windows to format your card (4GB) to FAT32. it should offer this format up as the default when it recognizes the size of the card.

Ok, did that & I’ve got still got the same results when I put music on the card.  Should the USB mode under Settings>System Settings> be set to anything particular?

MSC mode would be my preference.

@chaunceyk wrote:

Ok, did that & I’ve got still got the same results when I put music on the card.  Should the USB mode under Settings>System Settings> be set to anything particular?

@miikerman wrote:

You also could use the SD Association’s SD Formatter, which it recommends over Windows’.  (Personally, I’d try it–perhaps it could help.)

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

After using this program, the card is readable when in the adapter but appears unformated when in the Clip+…and the Clip+ still doesn’t see the music, despite seeing the card.

@tapeworm wrote:

That’s what I’m using. :-  I just can’t understand why the card is perfectly readable when in the adapter, but not in the Clip+.

After the card has been formatted and the clip+ refreshes the database, do you see the Music folder that’s created when you connect the player to the computer in windows explorer (before you transfer anything to the card)?

Have you tried transfering a few MP3 songs just by drag-and-drop in MSC mode to the card to see if the clip+ recognizes that?

Perhaps reinstalling the firmware may fix matters.

I had the same problem…Find out if the sdhc card is password protected …if so, remove the password protection. This  worked for me

@mags1230 wrote:

After the card has been formatted and the clip+ refreshes the database, do you see the Music folder that’s created when you connect the player to the computer in windows explorer (before you transfer anything to the card)?

_ No, there is no Music folder on the card as there is on the Clip+.  Just created it & moved my songs into it, still not being recognized by Clip+. _ :cry:

Have you tried transfering a few MP3 songs just by drag-and-drop in MSC mode to the card to see if the clip+ recognizes that?

That’s how I’ve been doing it, drag-n-drop.  I bought the Clip+ specifically because (among other qualifications) it doesn’t need any proprietary software to manage my music.  The Clip+ is fine with drag-n-drop, and the card by itself is too, but the Clip+ only sees that there’s a card in it & not that there’s anything on it.

Perhaps reinstalling the firmware may fix matters.

_ Tried that too.  No luck. _

@dmax wrote:

I had the same problem…Find out if the sdhc card is password protected …if so, remove the password protection. This  worked for me

I’m able to write to it, so I wouldn’t think its password protected, but I’m willing to try anything  .How would I check for that?

@chaunceyk wrote:

@mags1230 wrote:

_ No, there is no Music folder on the card as there is on the Clip+.  Just created it & moved my songs into it, still not being recognized by Clip+. _ :cry:

Hmmm…it seems to me that the clip+ is not 100% recognizing the card.  The clip+ will automatically create a Music Folder with an Audiobooks folder and a Podcasts folder inside that Music folder on the card.    It’s programmed to do that even if these folders are deleted.  I know, I tried a couple of times to delete the Audiobooks and Podcasts folder and they kept reappearing after the clip+ refreshes the database.

So, unless there is a password protection that’s blocking the clip+ somehow, it’s my opinion that the card is defective. 

Can you get another card and try it out to see if that will work in the player?