Cheap wall charger for clip

Hi all,

I purchased one of these chargers, it works beautiful and it is dirt cheap!! If anyone is interested, here is the website.

http://www.eforcity.com/dcreazentc05.html

I just purchased this combo – wall wart, car charger, and silicone skin – for $3.24 + $4.99 S&H. All 3 pieces work well. And shipping was very fast. (Note: The silcone skin collects dust very easily. But without it, the Clip seems to multiply fingerprints. So it’s a bit of a tradeoff. I have two Clips – one has the skin, and one doesn’t. I guess it’s a matter of preference.)

OK…it might be nice if I gave the link: (It’s late) :smiley:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKJF7W?ie=UTF8&seller=AOF13U638D38P&sn=kdscity

Message Edited by skay09 on 04-14-2009 03:29 AM

Good deal!  Thanks for the recommendation–

Don’t use the one from amazon–makes the clip hot and ruins it!

@tbov wrote:

Huh?

@tbov wrote:

There are about 5 or 6 available from amazon. Would you like to pinpoint which one?

I got mine from an Amazon partner and use it all of the time without any issues at all…:smiley:

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! Charger fried my sansa clip. , April 9, 2009

By  M. Dowdell “MRD” (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews

I would not recommend this product for the wall charger. The first time I used it it fried my Sansa Clip. Your Sansa Clip will get very hot within minutes and is done after that. Stay with the USB charger or if you can find something made by Sansa.

As listed by Amazon–Durable Flexible Black Silicone Skin Case + Car + Home Travel Charger for Sandisk Sansa Clip Mp3 Player

This is exactly what happened to my clip–If you read an earlier post–by Milkerman-lets you know exactly what you need.

There are many posts on this–you may want to do a search using the search box above left.

Basically, a charger with a mini-B USB plug to fit the Clip should be fine.  It should have a 5V power output (more will fry the Clip); amperage should not be an issue as the Clip will take what it needs (amperage at or a bit below 500 mAmp. would be enough; higher is fine).  Macally and DLO, among others, make chargers that will work; Wal-Mart also sells a variety of chargers that are fine, as reported in posts here.  There also are scads of no-name chargers out there which should work (available on eBay, at Amazon.com, etc.), although there may be greater quality control issues with no-names. 

Many car cellphone and GPS chargers work just fine as well.

I got mine over Amazon–the wall charger output is 4.5-9.5V max 600mA and the car output is 4.8V-10V max 800mA.  So these would too high?  Let me know if I’m understanding you correctly. 

Accepted Solution
Accepted Solution

It sounds to me like the charger has variable voltage output.  Is there a switch there to set voltage, and can it be set to 5V?  The amperage is just fine.-by Milkerman 

I don’t think the spec’s tell you everything.  My clip charger works great; without warming the unit at all and has 4.5-9.5VMax and 800mA rating.

I also noted that the stated rating in the description page didn’t match either the specs on the unit or on the box.  My guess is these  chargers are coming from a variety of vendors and suppliers…and unfortunately…some work and some don’t.

Personally I find the USB - to - A/C adapters that plug into your existing factory USB cable to be a bit less problematic.  All the ones of this design I’ve seen are rated 5V @ 600mA.  I’ve seen this type of charger at all the popular megamarts.  I’ve got one of these as well and it works great.

@tbov wrote:

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! Charger fried my sansa clip. , April 9, 2009

By  M. Dowdell “MRD” (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews

I would not recommend this product for the wall charger. The first time I used it it fried my Sansa Clip. Your Sansa Clip will get very hot within minutes and is done after that. Stay with the USB charger or if you can find something made by Sansa.

As listed by Amazon–Durable Flexible Black Silicone Skin Case + Car + Home Travel Charger for Sandisk Sansa Clip Mp3 Player

This is exactly what happened to my clip–If you read an earlier post–by Milkerman-lets you know exactly what you need.

There are many posts on this–you may want to do a search using the search box above left.

Basically, a charger with a mini-B USB plug to fit the Clip should be fine.  It should have a 5V power output (more will fry the Clip); amperage should not be an issue as the Clip will take what it needs (amperage at or a bit below 500 mAmp. would be enough; higher is fine).  Macally and DLO, among others, make chargers that will work; Wal-Mart also sells a variety of chargers that are fine, as reported in posts here.  There also are scads of no-name chargers out there which should work (available on eBay, at Amazon.com, etc.), although there may be greater quality control issues with no-names. 

Many car cellphone and GPS chargers work just fine as well.

I got mine over Amazon–the wall charger output is 4.5-9.5V max 600mA and the car output is 4.8V-10V max 800mA.  So these would too high?  Let me know if I’m understanding you correctly. 

Accepted Solution
Accepted Solution

It sounds to me like the charger has variable voltage output.  Is there a switch there to set voltage, and can it be set to 5V?  The amperage is just fine.-by Milkerman 

The wall charger I got from Amazon, as noted above, is listed as 5v DC 700 MA and works fine. So does the car charger.

@styxblue wrote:

Hi all,

I purchased one of these chargers, it works beautiful and it is dirt cheap!! If anyone is interested, here is the website.

http://www.eforcity.com/dcreazentc05.html

Thanks, for the info, styxblue.  I bought the car and wall charger from eforcity and they work fine with my Sansa Clips.  Thanks for the info on the Amazon one, everybody.  I decided not to risk it.

Hi puddleglum,

I am glad you tried it, glad I could help. Enjoy!!

This one might be of interest, it’s made for the SlotRadio Player:

SlotRadio Accessories

Message Edited by microsansa on 05-03-2009 12:46 AM

It’s a nice USB charger (like the logo on it), but the USB cable is made for the SlotRadio player.  Even so, the charger is very nice, and definitely at a good price.  In addition, you can be pretty sure it won’t nuke your Clip!

µsansa