Like many others on this forum, I’m disappointed that the Clip doesn’t ship with an AC wall charger (and think that as a cost-cutting measure it would be much better to omit crappy earbuds -which many people will replace anyway - than to omit an AC charger from the package). But as things stand, I’m looking for an AC charger for my 4gb clip, and I think it’s worth having a general thread about technical spec requirements for an AC charger for use with the Clip.
I have found Sansa’s customer support entirely unhelpful on this count - they either know nothing of general requirements or won’t say, which may be due to liability reasons, as they don’t want to be responsible for players that die from charging the wrong way, and don’t want to have to police or test all available chargers.
Some baseline info, some of which I know from experience, some that I’m assuming and other that I’ve learned from various threads on this fourm:
- The memory capacity of the Clip has nothing to do with its charging - requirements are the same for 1g, 2g and 4g models of the Clip
- When charging with a “smart” USB cord attached to a computer, the Clip is in “communication” mode with the computer and cannot be used to play music
- When charging with a dedicated AC charger (“dumb” USB with no capacity for data transfer) the Clip functions normally - this means that:
- the Clip can play music while charging with an AC charger
- despite charging, the Clip will shut off automatically after 1 or 5 minutes of non-use (or whatever it’s set for) - so to charge using an AC charger, the Clip must be set to NOT power down automatically - this is true in some people’s experience and not in others - check this thread
- AC chargers may vary in output voltage, but the player determines how much voltage it draws from the charger, or at least such was stated in this thread
On my end, I have a Motorola AC charger that came with my cellphone (which has a standard USB interface, same as the clip) with an output of 5V and 550mA. I haven’t yet used it with my Sansa Clip - while I assume that it will safely work, I want to play it safe and learn more about the general requirements of AC chargers for use with the Clip. I also have a car-charger (plugs into cigarette lighter) for use with my phone, but can’t find technical specs on it.