What has happened to my device?

I bought my sansa clip (2gb version .upgraded firmware to .30) 10 days before.It was working Ok and the battery lasted for about 6 hrs after each full charge.i decided to buy a AC USB adaptor to charge my device directly from the plug instead of using Computer USB so that i can charge it every where.I ordered online and got a china made adaptor with specifications

Input 220v 

Output 5v ,300-330ma

The device was not getting charged and after some time i found the device was heated up and i remember having read some where in the net that  the device needs atleast 500 ma output .so i went to the shop and asked for a 500 ma out put  USB adaptor and the Shop keeper gave me an adaptor which can be directly connected to the Device.To check the device ,he connected the device to the adaptor and turned on the plug.The Clip was in off state and it didnt begin to charge.i took out the Clip and tried to turn it ON…It wouldnt turn on.I connect it to the computer and it wouldnt detect.I know i have done something terribly wrong.What i have to do now?Is my device gone?Will the warranty cover my mistake or atleast can they repair it at my cost

Can we use AC-usb adaptor for sansa clip to charge directly from the Ac supply?or is it a wrong practice? If so ,what is the specifications to look for…I know its quite long query but hope people would answer my questions

You need to reset your Clip:

Slide the power switch up to the ON position, and hold it there for 15 seconds.  Release, and try restarting as usual.

This is the soft reset function.  It comes in quite handy in case of a frozen Clip.

Bob 

I have done it several times…The clip doesnt even On.Its like what ever u do,it wont on…I connect it to the computer usb and it doesnt detect it.I guess it may the circuit may have burnt due to over voltage…what are the output  sp[ecifications for USB-AC charger?I used a 300-330 ma first and then 500 ma

What strikes me as odd is that each full charge lasted only 6 hours. That seems really short to me, at least compared to what I’m used to with my new Clip. I accidentally kept it running over night one time when it was about 3/4 full and I could still listen to music the whole next day.

Maybe your Clip’s battery was broken all along. I’ve used a wall charger several times (as have other people) and nothing’s happened so far. I’d try to get a new one under warranty.

Some of the older Clips had battery issues. One of them was bad soldering on the battery connections. Maybe you’ve gotten one from old stock. If you can take (or send) it back to wherever you bought it from, that would be the quickest solution. SanDisk will replace it (I’m sure), but it would take time (sometimes weeks).

thx guys.i got it to the dealer here and he has said he will take care of getting me  a replacment.Will post you if i get it

Got back the clip but this time with a faulty USB cable that just charges and doesnt get detected to the computer .The inner two data pins in the usb cable for data transfer are missing

Wow, now that would be frustrating. Do you have any other USB cables that you can try? E.g. from cell phones, cameras, etc. - those should work.

I also bought an AC charger for my clip.  Plugged it in-left it in overnight and next morning it hadn’t charged.  I tried this several times with the same result.

By accident I left the FM radio on one time and it charged like it was supposed to.  Those of you not having any luck charging with an AC adapter might try this.  It works on my clip.

The Sansa will NOT charge if it is powered OFF.  This is because the processor of the machine also manages the battery charging process. 

The Clip must be ON to charge.  If music is playing, simply press the pause button, lest your device continue playing on its own.  The latest firmware versions have power recognition- the device should power up when it sees juice on the power pins.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

One question while we’re at it: Is it normal that after a while the screen turns off when the Clip is plugged in? It takes really long but mine does that. Just wondering.  

What really annoys me is that when you unplug it, it keeps running :smiley: I’ve done that twice now when trying to charge it, just to find out the next morning that I left my Clip running all night. Grr.

@pyrazol wrote:

One question while we’re at it: Is it normal that after a while the screen turns off when the Clip is plugged in? It takes really long but mine does that. Just wondering.  

What really annoys me is that when you unplug it, it keeps running :smiley: I’ve done that twice now when trying to charge it, just to find out the next morning that I left my Clip running all night. Grr.

It does eventually turn off, I believe after an hour’s time:smiley:

Ah, ok. Thanks :slight_smile: That’s about what I thought.

@pyrazol wrote:
Ah, ok. Thanks :slight_smile: That’s about what I thought.

I actually wish it would do it sooner. Supposedly the screen has a finite lifespan, which is one of the reasons for my 15 sec. backlight setting…I would do 10sec. but it doesn’t give you time to read the scrolling stuff. :neutral_face:

Yes, it would be nice is the screen turned off faster while charging. I’m also worried about the OLED’s lifespan, especially since I got a silver Clip and the screen is overdriven to counter the reduced brightness.

Instead of the screen flashing, the ring should just stay on. It uses LEDs which are more durable than OLEDs and it wouldn’t matter if they burned out anyway.

Guys,regarding to my initial query i am just now scared to use an Ac Adaptor (especially those china made ones).I am thinking of buying an usb cable used for Motorola mobile phones which resemble our clip usb cable.No one has come up with a definite answer regarding the out put current ratings of the Ac adaptor which can be used for clip.Will be grateful,if some one clarifies me regarding this.Waiting on you guys suggestion before buying one.

I found this answer from sansafix (a SanDisk employee), saying that anything above 200 mA will be fine for the Clip.

However, I’d go for at least a 500 mA rating, which is the USB standard minimum. This way the charger could be used for any USB device.

Got my new replaced sansa clip…As i mentioned before about a faulty usb cable,the fact was that the problme was not with the cable and with the player itself and send it again for replacement and gopt one…Now this is my 3rd player in 2 months since i bought it.Hope this one lasts the distance.Am sick of running to the store