Weird wall charger

I have a 4GB sansa clip.

in addition I have an old and crappy mp4 player that came with this charger http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/tidus1x/100_0377.jpg

the charger has a normal USB plug. The weird thing is that this charger came with a weird cable that has a normal USB on one end (which goes into PC/charger) and a weird unknown plug (which goes into the mp4). Here is the weird end compared to the cable that came with the sansa clip http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/tidus1x/100_0373.jpg (on left mp4 cable, on right sansa clip cable).

my question is: is it safe to use this charger (please look at the first picture for voltage, I don’t know if it is OK)  with the cable that came with the sansa clip without causing damage to the sansa?

thanks

Message Edited by cactaur on 02-04-2009 12:05 PM

@cactaur wrote:

my question is: is it safe to use this charger (please look at the first picture for voltage, I don’t know if it is OK)  with the cable that came with the sansa clip without causing damage to the sansa?

thanks

Message Edited by cactaur on 02-04-2009 12:05 PM

The Answer is YES it will work,  but you assume responsibility if it doesn’t ^_^ 

@Your Adapter is 5v DC.     Your other cable looks like a USB connectorized cable.  I have a blackberry mobile phone charger whose output is 5v @ .75 amps.    This charges my Clip with no problem.     I think you will be safe.  If it were mine i would try it :slight_smile:

The USB specification provides a 5V supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines

i’m not sure if that will work… the power rating is only 200-300mA.  i’m using a 1000mA charger (same output as the sansa connect charger).

if that did worked, it will take a long time for the player to charge…

LOL,   It’s not as if the Clip is a power hungry device.    I bet it charges fine off this.   When you charge off a wall outlet, be sure to leave the Sansa Clip turned on.   You can pause the music playback if you wish.

marqck wrote-"i’m not sure if that will work… the power rating is only 200-300mA.  i’m using a 1000mA charger (same output as the sansa connect charger).

if that did worked, it will take a long time for the player to charge…"

@niko_sama wrote:

LOL,   It’s not as if the Clip is a power hungry device.    I bet it charges fine off this.   When you charge off a wall outlet, be sure to leave the Sansa Clip turned on.   You can pause the music playback if you wish.

I think marqck is right, that it would take a while to charge. Isn’t a USB port 500mA? 

And with my wallcharger, there’s no choice but to have the Clip on…you plug it in and the Clip powers up…the beauty of it is that seconds later the screen goes dark again, unlike when it’s hooked to the computer.:smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

marqck wrote-"i’m not sure if that will work… the power rating is only 200-300mA.  i’m using a 1000mA charger (same output as the sansa connect charger).

if that did worked, it will take a long time for the player to charge…"

@niko_sama wrote:

I think marqck is right, that it would take a while to charge. Isn’t a USB port 500mA? 

And with my wallcharger, there’s no choice but to have the Clip on…you plug it in and the Clip powers up…the beauty of it is that seconds later the screen goes dark again, unlike when it’s hooked to the computer.:smiley:

LOL,  think but you will ,  sigh.      You can turn the unit off once hooked to the AC adapter, if you do it will stop charging,      So keep the Clip turned on, while charging, (Don’t turn it off cause it will go off and stop charging).  

The current from his charger should be fine.    If your high powered AC adapters delivered 1 full amp at 5 volts the whole process or charging your clip, it would be very very hot  ><      you don’t use a full Amp during charge.    Also have you never heard of a trickle charge?       Charging with his charger will be sufficient to charge it.     

I hope the OP tries it and posts back, and shares his first hand knowledge versus all those who know so much without knowing.    LOL  - this makes me laugh.  

@niko_sama wrote:

LOL,  think but you will ,  sigh.      You can turn the unit off once hooked to the AC adapter, if you do it will stop charging,      So keep the Clip turned on, while charging, (Don’t turn it off cause it will go off and stop charging).  

The current from his charger should be fine.    If your high powered AC adapters delivered 1 full amp at 5 volts the whole process or charging your clip, it would be very very hot  ><      you don’t use a full Amp during charge.    Also have you never heard of a trickle charge?       Charging with his charger will be sufficient to charge it.     

I hope the OP tries it and posts back, and shares his first hand knowledge versus all those who know so much without knowing.    LOL  - this makes me laugh.  

The actual phrase is “think what you will” :stuck_out_tongue: I never said the OP’s charger wouldn’t work, just that it might not be blazing fast.

So I went back, and sure enough my Clip will allow you to turn it off while charging, but I hadn’t ever tried to do it because-A. my Fuze will not shut off when charging…only goes into “stand-by” mode, and B. it didn’t make any sense to try turning it off.

Also… my Clip charger says, output 5V—1A, but neither the charger nor Clip gets “very hot”.  So perhaps I am not the only one that “knows so much without knowing” :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 02-05-2009 06:25 AM

@marvin_martian wrote:

Also… my Clip charger says, output 5V—1A, but neither the charger nor Clip gets “very hot”.  So perhaps I am not the only one that “knows so much without knowing” :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 02-05-2009 06:25 AM

Of course it doesn’t get hot,  because it doesn’t draw the full Amp of current.  LOL  If there is anything I know, it’s Electronics :slight_smile: Thanks *Smiles politely*

It should be fine; the earlier cable simply uses a specific plug end for a specific type of device.

well, i connected the charger to the wall and to the sansa. the sansa clip turned on and the charger light as well. HOWEVER, the charger made a really scary squeaky noise when it charged the sansa, so i quickly removed it from the wall plug. this sound is just not right, and i guess ill have to buy a new one.

and thanks for trying to help! :slight_smile:

@cactaur wrote:

well, i connected the charger to the wall and to the sansa. the sansa clip turned on and the charger light as well. HOWEVER, the charger made a really scary squeaky noise when it charged the sansa, so i quickly removed it from the wall plug. this sound is just not right, and i guess ill have to buy a new one.

and thanks for trying to help! :slight_smile:

AC adapters shouldn’t squeek ^_^   I’d have done the same exact thing.   It was worth a try :)    Cheers :slight_smile:

@cactaur

i’d be scared too if i hear a squeak during charging… throw that away :smiley:

I purchased a name-brand (second tier) charger awhile back and it elicited a steady hum.  It went back to the store the next day, and I purchased a first-tier charger (Macally)–worth the extra cost to me.