I'm wondering if this charger will fry my clip?

Mini USB Travel Home Wall Charger For HTC 2125 8125 MDA SDA XV6700

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Travel-Charger-HTC-XV6700/dp/B000I1XLG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237891748&sr=8-1

I just bought it and after I did I read some people complaining about shorting their clip with chargers. I can’t find the voltage output on this, so I’m wondering if it’s safe? Thank you :slight_smile:

It likely is, and people at Amazon say it works fine.  But I would want to know the voltage specification before using it, personally.  Do you already have it and isn’t the voltage listed on the unit?

Nope, I don’t have it yet. I just ordered it today so it won’t be here for a few days. Yeah, the reviews on are all positive but I want to be sure. I don’t want to take any chances on ruining my mp3 player. I need to know if I should cancel this.

Physically, that unit looks the same as mine; however I got mine from BargainCell, which specifically stated it was for a Clip.  Mine works great and has the following specs.

INPUT Voltage - 100-240VAC 200MA 47-63 Hz

OUTPUT V -      4.5-9.5V 800MA Max

My unit also has a integrated circuit to halt charging once the battery is at full charge.

Again, the unit I use works flawlessly.

@maliris wrote:
Nope, I don’t have it yet. I just ordered it today so it won’t be here for a few days. Yeah, the reviews on are all positive but I want to be sure. I don’t want to take any chances on ruining my mp3 player. I need to know if I should cancel this.

Personally, I would.  It may work, but it may not or worse yet, damage your clip.  That’s why I always deal with BargainCell.  They are a good company, test all their accessories themselves for compatibility, and stand behind what they sell.

I’m sure there are other reputable companies out there that sell compatible chargers; but I just have personal experience with BC.

Well, bargain cell is selling this but I bought it from the cheaper company. What kind of model do you have?

@maliris wrote:
Well, bargain cell is selling this but I bought it from the cheaper company. What kind of model do you have?

The model isn’t listed, and generally they never are.  BargainCell is protecting their interests, as they take the time and effort to make sure it is compatible with the device.  Other companies don’t do that.

Testing takes time and money; so BC may not be the cheapest on the block, but it will work.  

It’s your call…

I guess the real question is: “How many mA can the Clip take for charging?”  The above post listed a 800mA charger as OK.  I have a 1000mA charger for a Creative Micro.  That might not be safe.

@rlight wrote:
I guess the real question is: “How many mA can the Clip take for charging?”  The above post listed a 800mA charger as OK.   I have a 1000mA charger for a Creative Micro.  That might not be safe.

It’s not as simple as that.  The charging mechanisms in good chargers are non-linear; meaning that in my charger that is the maximum it will see, and reduce depending on battery state.  Some chargers use a constant value.

@rlight wrote:
I guess the real question is: “How many mA can the Clip take for charging?”  The above post listed a 800mA charger as OK.  I have a 1000mA charger for a Creative Micro.  That might not be safe.

I have 2 that both work…1 says output 5V 1000mA (when I bought it it said"for Creative Zen micro and sansa Clip") and another that is a Motorola cellphone charger 5V, 550mA.

Buy whatever charger you want.  If it has a USB port on it, it’s been designed to work with USB devices.

The current rating is not an issue, as long as it’s high enough.  The only concern is the voltage output of the charger, or more accurately, the voltage tolerance of the device under charge.

The charger could have a current rating of 1.21GigaAmps, and the charging circuit in the Clip will only use as much as it needs.

The USB specs say the voltage supplied should be between 4.75 and 5.25V, and the maximum current draw for a single device will be 500mA.

Now that doesn’t tell us if a higher voltage from a charger will be a problem, it only tells us what a USB host port should supply.  I suspect a lot of chargers have considerably higher voltage, like 8-10V, and cause no problems, as the device under charge can deal with the higher voltage.  The only real concern is if it supplies at least 500mA.

The charger does not need to be “smart” for our purposes.  Since Sansa is using Li-Po or Li-Ion batteries, they will have a circuit to control charging.  Actually, using a “smart” charger may cause you to not charge the battery completely, as the charger may shut down before the circuit internal to the device is done.

@tenzip wrote:

Buy whatever charger you want.  If it has a USB port on it, it’s been designed to work with USB devices.

The current rating is not an issue, as long as it’s high enough.  The only concern is the voltage output of the charger, or more accurately, the voltage tolerance of the device under charge.

The charger could have a current rating of 1.21GigaAmps, and the charging circuit in the Clip will only use as much as it needs.

The USB specs say the voltage supplied should be between 4.75 and 5.25V, and the maximum current draw for a single device will be 500mA.

Now that doesn’t tell us if a higher voltage from a charger will be a problem, it only tells us what a USB host port should supply.  I suspect a lot of chargers have considerably higher voltage, like 8-10V, and cause no problems, as the device under charge can deal with the higher voltage.  The only real concern is if it supplies at least 500mA.

The charger does not need to be “smart” for our purposes.  Since Sansa is using Li-Po or Li-Ion batteries, they will have a circuit to control charging.  Actually, using a “smart” charger may cause you to not charge the battery completely, as the charger may shut down before the circuit internal to the device is done.

Hmmmm. Interesting.  So, if all USB chargers are the same, why are some consumers complaining that their devices are being damaged by said chargers? (not only Sansa products)

I used to be involved with electronic purchasing and there is a ton of junk out there, chargers included. There is good and bad in any product, and I tend to err on the side of caution.

But, I totally agree with your first statement.  The OP can purchase anything they so choose, it really makes very little difference to me.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Hmmmm. Interesting.  So, if all USB chargers are the same, why are some consumers complaining that their devices are being damaged by said chargers? (not only Sansa products)

I used to be involved with electronic purchasing and there is a ton of junk out there, chargers included. There is good and bad in any product, and I tend to err on the side of caution.

But, I totally agree with your first statement.  The OP can purchase anything they so choose, it really makes very little difference to me.

I didn’t say they were all the same, and there may be some that provide entirely too much voltage for the components under charge to handle.  The specification says what voltage they should provide. Doesn’t mean they do, unless they have the official ‘USB’ logo on them.  The chargers that are damaging products may well be faulty, too.

I tend to pay a little more for stuff too, and not try to squeeze the last drop of blood from the stone.  Really not worth it in the long run, as you generally get what you pay for.

@tenzip wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I didn’t say they were all the same, and there may be some that provide entirely too much voltage for the components under charge to handle.  The specification says what voltage they should provide. Doesn’t mean they do, unless they have the official ‘USB’ logo on them.  The chargers that are damaging products may well be faulty, too.

I tend to pay a little more for stuff too, and not try to squeeze the last drop of blood from the stone.  Really not worth it in the long run, as you generally get what you pay for.

OK, we’re on the same page.  Funny, I’ve never seen an official USB logo on any charger designed to work with the clip.  They are all probably suspect to some degree!!!

Thank you for the great replys. It seems they sent me an email and this is the actual charger they’re sending me:

http://sewelldirect.com/USB-Wall-Adapter-5V-with-Cable.asp (this is the site I got it from through amazon as well)

I couldn’t cancel because the order was already processed. Had I known that bargaincell has the chargers made specifically for the clip, I would’ve gotten those instead.

@maliris wrote:

Thank you for the great replys. It seems they sent me an email and this is the actual charger they’re sending me:

http://sewelldirect.com/USB-Wall-Adapter-5V-with-Cable.asp (this is the site I got it from through amazon as well)

I couldn’t cancel because the order was already processed. Had I known that bargaincell has the chargers made specifically for the clip, I would’ve gotten those instead.

I think you will be OK.  In truth, the one that BC sells looks very, very similar to the one in your link.  They (BC)probably get them “en masse” and just verify that they will operate properly with a given device.  They are all probably made in the same manufacturing facility in China* 

* or other country of choice…

Okay, great! Yeah, I don’t think there will be a problem. The charger is 5v and that seems to be a big concern. I sent them an email through amazon asking for any comformation about using it with the clip but I’m unsure if they’ll know the product or even test it out. Also, it says it has 1A output, do you know if that’ll affect anything?

@maliris wrote:
Okay, great! Yeah, I don’t think there will be a problem. The charger is 5v and that seems to be a big concern. I sent them an email through amazon asking for any comformation about using it with the clip but I’m unsure if they’ll know the product or even test it out. Also, it says it has 1A output, do you know if that’ll affect anything?

I have a charger that is 5v and puts out 1A and it’s fine :smiley:

Awesome, thank you guys for the great and fast responses! You’ve all been a big help :slight_smile:

@maliris wrote:

I would wait unit you get it.  The grey (at least in my unit) sticker on the charger body, will state all of the specifications.  It’s funny the box mine was sent in, had the wrong specs… I’m sure they just used a generic box for all chargers of that type.

And I’m guessing that all of those charger’s specifications will vary a bit, from case lot to case lot.

Look at the sticker on the charger as soon as you get it, and that will tell the story…