AC USB Charger Amperage Question

Hello all,

I’ll probably have my Clip+ tomorrow, ordered it a few days ago.

Today I bought an AC to USB charger. It’s Philips SCM2280. Although I knew Clip+ doesn’t need a smart charger, I wanted to go with a quality brand product just in case.

However, I just found out from this list that it provides only 350mA (and it also states 5.6V, wtf?). I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t fry anything, but I’d like to know if Clip+ actually draws more than 350mA? I wouldn’t mind if it’s only a bit slower, but if it does make a big difference in the charging speed I’ll surely return it. (didn’t open the package yet)

Thanks in advance!

Message Edited by WTFX on 08-02-2010 08:08 PM

WTFX wrote:

Hello all,

I’ll probably have my Clip+ tomorrow, ordered it a few days ago.

Today I bought an AC to USB charger. It’s Philips SCM2280. Although I knew Clip+ doesn’t need a smart charger, I wanted to go with a quality brand product just in case.

However, I just found out from this list that it provides only 350mA (and it also states 5.6V, wtf?). I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t fry anything, but I’d like to know if Clip+ actually draws more than 350mA? I wouldn’t mind if it’s only a bit slower, but if it does make a big difference in the charging speed I’ll surely return it. (didn’t open the package yet)

Thanks in advance!

Message Edited by WTFX on 08-02-2010 08:08 PM

That 5.6V is a fail…5V is the max for a Sansa.

I was actually stunned by that. i mean it’s not written anywhere on the package and the package states “Works with all your portable devices, that can be charged via USB”.

Anyhow, any comment on the amperage anyway? Or how many mA’s Clip+ draws?

I’m very interested on that point.

I don’t get how a charger shown off like this can be so off from the usual USB specs?!

I woulda rather bought Belkin or similar, but didn’t find any available.

(thx for the fast reply anyway, ur name has gotten quite familiar to me as i’ve been reading these forums, rockbox’s and ABI’s quite a lot recently :D)

WTFX wrote:

I was actually stunned by that. i mean it’s not written anywhere on the package and the package states “Works with all your portable devices, that can be charged via USB”.

Anyhow, any comment on the amperage anyway? Or how many mA’s Clip+ draws?

I’m very interested on that point.

I don’t get how a charger shown off like this can be so off from the usual USB specs?!

I woulda rather bought Belkin or similar, but didn’t find any available.

(thx for the fast reply anyway, ur name has gotten quite familiar to me as i’ve been reading these forums, rockbox’s and ABI’s quite a lot recently :D)

I do think it would charge very slow with that amperage. I have 2 chargers I use…one outputs 550mA, and the other 1000mA. :wink:

Thx for ur answers. I really regret buying this thing but at least I can return it. And I thought getting a branded product would give me quality.

I’ll try to grab a Griffin charger if I can or otherwise some random charger with some more info about its rating.

I recall seeing a thread somewhere on the net (which I can’t find now) that Clip would draw less than 500 mA and that’s exactly why I was interested on how much it draws.

Thx for your input Marvin. :slight_smile:

I don’t know what the USB standard is, but I do have the specs on 2 USB devices, both of which charge my Clip+ just fine: 

1)  “Music Power Duet” wall charger, bought it at Walmart 3 or 4 years ago.  2 USB ports, and the label says “5v, 500mA.”

2)  Staples 7-port powered USB hub (just bought it today, that’s why I have the specs at hand) – “5v, 3.6A max (powered), 500mA (unpowered).”

Philips is usually an excellent brand; I doubt that the extra .6 volt would make any difference; but if it were my player, I don’t know if I’d take the chance, either. 

When I bought the hub this morning, I noticed that Staples has a 2-port USB wall charger for $19.99.  I have no idea what the specs are.  

You can get a Motorola Razor charger(made by Motorola) very inexpensively. They put out 5V 550 ma and have a minu USB connector. Some places even sell them for under $5.

Well I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t output more than 5 V for usb devices, seems it has some chip inside to ensure it (looking at the manual of a similar model [scm4480]).

However the issue is now in whether the 350 mA would be ok. I wouldn’t like it to be too slow and if the Clip is gonna draw more than that, the charger itself might get fried from what I’ve read.

Also someone mentioned somewhere that the Clip wouldn’t even power up on some lower than 500 mA charger.

So weird Philips can’t design a proper charger. :neutral_face:

@jk98 wrote:
You can get a Motorola Razor charger(made by Motorola) very inexpensively. They put out 5V 550 ma and have a minu USB connector. Some places even sell them for under $5.

That’s actually a very good idea, I was looking for the one we were supposed to have around our house but seems someone forgot it somewhere.

Thanks for reminding me tho, might grab one if I don’t come across something else.

Message Edited by WTFX on 08-03-2010 12:15 AM

Message Edited by WTFX on 08-03-2010 12:15 AM

Perhaps it might not power up with 350 ma, or perhaps even if it does it might not do a good job charging the player’s battery,and it might charge very slowly, or not completely. I suggest you not try the Philips charger, and just return it. If you don’t see any cheap Razr or Blackberry chargers, you can get a decent charger with a USB port cheap enough. I suggest you get one that puts out at least 700 ma. The Tekkeon mp1650 puts out one amp and is $13 on Amazon.

You got me curious, so I looked up USB on Wikipedia.  In the section on power, it states that “The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines.”  So, the Philips is outside the standard.  Very odd. What does the label on the actual charger say? 

However, 325 mA is well within the standard:  " A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0"  I’m guessing that the 3.5A in my Staples hub is divided among the seven ports.  Don’t know, but it charged the Clip with no issues. 

Man, it goes beyond me also how on earth could they produce such a charger…!

And the worst of all is that the package states it should charge any device that can be charged via usb and the package doesn’t even mention the rating (neither voltage nor amperage)!

I haven’t opened the package as I mentioned (so can’t see the label) as I’ll pretty surely be returning it and it’ll be easier to just hand it to them unopened.

But here’s link to the datasheet I posted earlier: Click

It’s the SCM2280. Weirdly enough you can also see there all their chargers are reported to have these weird ratings. Just don’t get it.

I was thinking maybe they chose this amperage on purpose to be sure no-one would harm their devices, but then, how many usb devices don’t have protection/control or have an amperage less than 500 mA?

Man, no more Philips for me ever again. Ha!

Edit: btw, would a charger over 500 mA possibly charge faster than just 500 mA charger? Is the Clip able to draw more than 500 mA?

Message Edited by WTFX on 08-03-2010 02:07 AM

From my recollection, 350mA is getting towards the tail end of what the Clips need, but still within the range of being ok.  It may be ok, but personally, I would feel better with 500mA or up.  The listed voltage also bothers me.  As stated above, it likely is fine, but I wouldn’t trust it with my prized possession.  I’d exchange it.  (And note that you even can get a Sansa-branded adapter at the Sansa store.) 

And I’m not certain on this, but I don’t think that the Clip will draw more from a greater-than 500mA charger. 

Yup, just gonna exchange it.

My Clip+ is also very dear to me already altho I’ll only get to lay my hands on it tomorrow (well, today, it’s after midnight). :smileyvery-happy:

Didn’t find the adapter on the Sansa store… Only found out one comes with Sansa connect?

However, it’s quite unlikely I can get it as I’m currently staying in Europe but leaving in only few days outside EU and the delivery might not make it.

@miikerman wrote:
And I’m not certain on this, but I don’t think that the Clip will draw more from a greater-than 500mA charger. 

Thanks for the info, even if not definite.

Message Edited by WTFX on 08-03-2010 02:25 AM

Here’s the SanDisk adapter.

http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/CategoryID.11449200/productID.180603900

But yep, it likely wouldn’t get to you in a few days.  However, you should be able to pick up an adapter at a local electronics store, relatively inexpensively.

Miikerman wrote:

Here’s the SanDisk adapter.

http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/CategoryID.11449200/productID.180603900

I’ve noticed before the ‘specs’ aren’t listed on this charger. It would be interesting to see what exactly they are before ordering it.

Per the Sansa Store chat people (why can chat be so painful to use at times?!?):

5V and 500 mA.

What it should be, although higher amperage always is welcome–1000 mA would have been nice, here, for use with higher-drawing devices. 

Per the Sansa Store chat people (why can chat be so painful to use at times?!?):

5V and 500 mA.

What it should be, although higher amperage always is welcome--1000 mA would have been nice, here, for use with higher-drawing devices.

And, suggestion to the SanDisk folks that the specs be added to the product page? 

Well I finally got a charger yesterday. Didn’t come across official Moto or BB chargers, so I got a Tomtom USB Home Charger rated 5V, 1A Max. Charges very well. It’s a bit bulky, but feels high quality.

[unrelated]Do the bundled headphones you have sound completely terrible as well? I read some comments that they’d sound better than iPod cans so I was unpleasantly surprised when I finally tried them to hear their sound completely lacking bass, having very distorted and low sound. I’m almost sure they’re faulty as they sound just like when you have a bad ground wire or otherwise faulty plug on your headphones not completely connected. I just don’t feel going through the trouble of getting them replaced since I’m gonna anyway use PortaPros and IEMs.[/unrelated]

The Portapro is not a great choice for use with the Clip+. A better choice would be the Sennheiser PX100.