Will these chargers fry my Sansa Clip+?

Hello, after doing a lot of research into USB wall and car chargers I am finding many stories of fried Sansa Clips all over the place. I have read and understood 5 volts is the limit for this device, but I cannot find the specs listed anywhere and I am very confused as to what a safe charger set would be. There’s a ton of them in Amazon but they do not necessarily list their specs and most of them are not even affiliated with SanDisk. I live in the US and I do not own a cellphone so I am ignorant in complimenting USB chargers. I’d appreciate some of your input.

http://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Premium-Accessories-Combo-Sandisk/dp/B002W9GN12/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262634408&sr=1-5

Both chargers show a mini-B connector, so I’d say you’re going to be OK.  There’s even a new Clip+ in the group photo.  I’ll take the fishbone key fob.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

The USB connection that the Clip+ uses is a standard, offering you some security.  Just make sure that the charger is 5V (the USB port standard); amperage can be of a higher level as the Clip+ will take what it needs (around 500mA or a bit lower is fine on the low end). 

In my mind, it’s the quality of the charger that’s equally important.  Apart from the generic chargers, you can buy a “name brand” such as Macally, Belkin, DLO, FiiO, etc.

I just recently learned what fishbone keychains are for…

It does show a sansa clip+, but so were some other sets with reviews claiming that the charger had fried their sansa clips. I am not finding any reviews on this product tho. They don’t really give any information about what the volt output is. 

• High Quality Generic (Non-OEM) custom made to fit your Sandisk Sansa Clip Plus Series
  • USB data cable: Sync your data and charge the battery at the same time
  • Car Charger input: (12~24V DC),
  • Travel Charger input: (100~240V- U.S. & World Standard) Short circuit protection. LED charging indica
  • Compatible with Sandisk Sansa Clip Plus Series

24v DC for the car charger? Isn’t that too much? 100~240V for the wall one?!!!

I think I am misreading something, it can’t be that ALL chargers Ive seen are ridiculously powerful for the device they are meant to support. It does say input, but can’t the output be equated thru the amperage?

Message Edited by LittleWolf on 01-05-2010 08:48 AM

Caveat Emptor on any of these gadgets.  Specs alone don’t tell the whole story.  Vendors that stock this stuff are notorious for substituting products by no-name manufacturers.  Just because the specs say they are within tolerances, doesn’t mean the actual product will.

This is one time I would spend an extra buck or two and get something locally by a trusted merchant.

@littlewolf wrote:

24v DC for the car charger? Isn’t that too much? 100~240V for the wall one?!!!

I think I am misreading something, it can’t be that ALL chargers Ive seen are ridiculously powerful for the device they are meant to support. It does say input, but can’t the output be equated thru the amperage?

Message Edited by LittleWolf on 01-05-2010 08:48 AM

Products like that are “universal”. They’re designed to detect which voltage is being input and automatically change which internal circuit is used to drop the output voltage to the correct level. It should have the same output in any case.

Trusted merchant? Like Office Depot or Best Buy? =(

I bought a laptop AC adaptor with them when my old one stopped conecting properly; I went at great lenght finding a floor assistant that was familiar with the product and it still fried the laptop. Best Buy refused to take responsability because they said I hadn’t given the correct specs even tho I took my laptop and the previous adapter. It took about 3 months for us to reach common ground because they kept delaying the issue. 

That’s why I decided to do more of my own research so I could increase my chances of prevention, but so far I havent been able to find a wall and car charger. =/

@littlewolf wrote:

Trusted merchant? Like Office Depot or Best Buy? =(

I bought a laptop AC adaptor with them when my old one stopped conecting properly; I went at great lenght finding a floor assistant that was familiar with the product and it still fried the laptop. Best Buy refused to take responsability because they said I hadn’t given the correct specs even tho I took my laptop and the previous adapter. It took about 3 months for us to reach common ground because they kept delaying the issue. 

That’s why I decided to do more of my own research so I could increase my chances of prevention, but so far I havent been able to find a wall and car charger. =/

Did I mention those 2 bottom feeders?  If you can’t find a trusted merchant in your area that is better than the likes of those 2, my condolences go out to you.

Trusted is circumstancial.

I don’t think there’s many local merchants left, just uncaring super-giant retailers with no soul. =(

@littlewolf wrote:

Trusted is circumstancial.

I don’t think there’s many local merchants left, just uncaring super-giant retailers with no soul. =(

The only advantantage that a trusted merchant will give you is that they will (generally) stand behind the merchandise they sell.  The bottom line is that all of this garbage comes from the far-east somewhere; and their manufactering practices (for the most part) are suspect.

Sometimes these devices are great, sometimes they don’t work, and sometimes they will fry your device.  The only thing you can really do is make sure the product you are purchasing is within spec, and check the merchandise carefully to make sure it matches the description before plugging it into the device.

I’ve purchased some of these charging devices, and most of them work OK.  If you can’t find a reputable merchant in your area, I would suggest going with a place like BargainCell, instead of a place like Amazon.  BargainCell and others specialize in hand-held devices and usually know what they sell pretty well…and since they are smaller concerns, they rarely will carry anything that will do damage to your device.  If they did, they wouldn’t be in business very long…

I just checked on BargainCell.com but they do not carry accesories for the sansa clip +

Are the chargers for the sansa clip compatible?

@littlewolf wrote:

I just checked on BargainCell.com but they do not carry accesories for the sansa clip +

Are the chargers for the sansa clip compatible?

I use the same charger for both my Clip and Clip+, and it works fine. 

Alright, thank you kindly for your assistance and addressing my questions.

I appreciate it. :3

@littlewolf wrote:

Alright, thank you kindly for your assistance and addressing my questions.

I appreciate it. :3

Great.  The only reason I mentioned bargaincell is because I’ve done business with them for over 5 years and have never had any issue with any of their products.  The same cannot be said with Amazon.

I have the universal USB adapter that is found at the bargaincell website and it works great with my Clips (+), Fuzes, Archos, Zune, and Cowons with no issues whatsoever.

Universal USB charging adapter

I too am cautious wnen it comes to accessory chargers.  I like the Macally USB, and the wee Sansa one made for the SlotRadio player.  For this one, you use the wall device only, with the Clip’s USB / Mini-B cable.

It’s about ten dollars, and has cool Sansa logos on it too.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I have checked various places, I like the kit with all the nifty stuff, but I am wary that it will fry my sansa =(

I emailed them to ask about the volt output, but so far I have no answer.

I have a similar but slightly different question regarding chargers… I just got a “Ryobi Tek4”, 4 volt “kit”, that has a 4 volt recharbable battery to supply various tools, and one of the items in the kit is a USB charger.  The specs say that it is a 5v-500ma USB charger.  You put the 4 volt battery in the charger, and the connect the usb cable to it.  It comes with a miriad of USB conector including the mini that is used by the Clip +, so I am wondering if it is safe to use with the Clip +.

Thanks,

Eric

I have two USB adaptors - one that has a sticker that reads Output: 5V ± 0.5v DC 400 ma = This one doesnt charge the Clip+ player. The other one I have has a sticker that reads Output: 5V 1000ma = This one charges the Clip+ fine. Not sure if the first one has too much of a lower current, or if its the voltage deviation of ±0.5v.

I’m curious, would a cell phone charger with an output of 5v & 1A work for the clip+? I figure it should be high quality as I’ve had the cell phone for 3 years & haven’t fried it yet…

lhancock28 wrote:
I’m curious, would a cell phone charger with an output of 5v & 1A work for the clip+? I figure it should be high quality as I’ve had the cell phone for 3 years & haven’t fried it yet…

I have one with those same specs, that I will be using with my Clip+ when it arrives.