Can't write .mov file to Cruzer USB 2.0 32 GB flash drive

I have the Cruzer USB 2.0 32 GB flash drive. I am having trouble writing to it.  I have tried writing a .doc file - no problem. A folder that has over 4,000 jpeg files - no problem. I want to write one .mov file (H.264) that is about 10 GB in size to the 32 GB flash drive. Problem. When I try to do this, I get an error message: “Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred. (Error code 0).” I can’t find anything that lists what Error code 0 is. I don’t know if this is a problem with the file itself or with the flash drive. Are there some things I can try to narrow down the issue?

Your Cruzer drive is most likely formatted to FAT32. This format will not accept any individual files over 4GB.

Is there a way to reformat the drive to accept larger files?

You could try re-formatting to NTFS, but I don’t know whether it will work or not. You might ‘brick’ the drive.

Apologies - help - I’m a novice. What does “brick” the drive mean? (and I’m on a Mac, if that helps with an explanation)

Brick = Turn into a brick. As in break, ruin, destroy, make in-operable.

Also if you’re going to try re-formatting it, you’ll want to do it on a Windows machine, not a Mac.

Can you split the large movie file into smaller files?

Ah - brick…the literal definition. :>)  I can’t split the file, but I’ll try reformatting the flash drive on a PC. I have access to a Win 7 machine at home. Thanks! I’ll give it a try and let you know how it went.

you can reformat as NTFS or exfat if you have a win 7 computer. the issue here is, is the host device going to compatible with these formats. if you are transfering to a TV of DVD player the answer is not likely. If you are transfering between a PC and a MAC the MAC will need to be at least OS 10.6 and you will need to use exfat. here is a knowledge base article for how to format in NTFS. EXFAT is easier in Win 7 just format as usual and select EXFAT as the file system.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/289/kw/4GB%20file%20will%20not%20transfer 

The reformatting worked just fine and we were able to load the files.  Thanks for all the help! 

Thanks for the update.  It’s nice to hear a happy ending every once in a while.

As long as Error Code 0 is concerned it appears due to Mac’s failure in transferring large files to another location. The main reason is Mac has its own file system. In your case, you’re not using the native file system in Mac; rather you’re using FAT32, UFS or any other file system. Format the concerning drive (volume) with HFS Plus (+) file system as instructed in this article: http://www.optimum-systems.com/2013/07/mac-error-code-0.html