Cannot copy to Clip+..."path too deep"

Sorry if this has been mentioned anywhere before… I searched but didn’t find anything.

I can’t copy  to my clip+. Even trying to copy 1 file from the desktop to the root folder

results in a “Cannot copy xxxx path too deep” message.

Since this started up I deleted the 500MB of files off the Clip and reformatted so it’s empty.

Totally baffled… I am running Windows XP SP3.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You also might try manually reapplying the latest firmware to the player–that might help. (See the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum–it’s easy to do.) Also: what is the Clip’s USB mode set to, under its System settings? You might try MSC mode, if not set to that–it tends to be the most trouble-free.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have no way at present of updating the firmware. For obvious reasons I can’t

download the zip file with the clppa.bin and copy it to the root folder…

because I can’t copy anything to the Clip!

Plus, trying to use the Sansa Updater will not work. I run the file and nothing happens. I’m

connected to the Internet and my Clip is connected to the PC, but it doesn’t run…doesn’t do anything.

I’m already on MSC mode.

I have to think this is a Windows thing…constant security updates and other sundry rubbish it keeps

advising me to update. I was having no trouble a week ago then the Security Centre in XP came up

with about 30 updates and it’s gone doolally from about 2 days ago.

It does sound like a marvelous Windows glitch.   :frowning:

One other thing to try:  under the Windows Device manager, uninstall the Clip driver (with the Clip attached to the computer), detach the Clip, and then reattach it–this should cause Windows to re-install a driver for the Clip and this could repair matters. 

Thanks once more for your input, I appreciate you taking the time.

OK… I uninstalled the Clip driver. Detached the clip, re-attached it. Windows did indeed

generate a new driver and after a couple of seconds the Clip showed up in the “My Computer”

window and the root folder opened up…followed by a Windows message window.

I wasn’t sure if it was acceptable to post a link to an image, so here’s what it said…

The window title( the blue bar at the top) says “Windows - No Disk”

The main body of the message…to the right of a **bleep** big red x…was

“Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7c”

Under that, the usual three buttons… Cancel-Try Again-Continue

I clicked Try Again and Continue 4 or 5 times to no avail…then I had to click Cancel about

a dozen times to get rid of that message window. Whatever the hell that meant, XP didn’t

seem to like it much!

Soooo… I’m back to square one. I think maybe it’s time to do a clean install of XP, I really

can’t think of anything else to do…

I have read techies out there say that to keep their PCs running in prime order, they reinstall Windows every year. Sigh.

@miikerman wrote:
I have read techies out there say that to keep their PCs running in prime order, they reinstall Windows every year. Sigh.

I think those people have way too much time on their hands. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would reformat the Clip+ from the player’s menu (perhaps there’s something wonky with the current file structure that’s tripping up Windows) and delete the driver again before going to the thermonuclear option of reinstalling Windows.

Tapeworm, I readily understand why someone would reformat a Windows machine every year and reinstall Windows and programs–in my experience, Windows just really can get bogged and clogged down over time, especially if one often is adding programs to it, even “innocent” programs that are just fine in and of themselves.

Hmm, so you suspect XP has gone wobbly, hold off from a full reinstall for now and try the following… worked for me

Download this fully validated, anti-trojan freeware http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button and also the file/program remover Revo Uninstaller Pro http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.htm (30 day free trial - no credit card needed).

I use these pieces of software often (bought revo upgrade last mth), both are spam-free, trojan-free & reliable pieces of kit that do exactly what they says on the tin! 

Install both and start malwarebytes to scan for any nasties, if any are flagged up after clicking ‘Show Results’, then hold off deleting them in Malwarebytes and use Revo Uninstaller to remove them instead - it  has the option to deep clean your registry of any crap you may have inadvertently picked up and does a much better job imo. ie use Malwarebytes 4 detection 

Depending on whether you choose quick scan or full scan in malwarebytes, the entire process from installer download  to end of scan in revo uninstaller should take around 30 mins. 

the Clip+ can be very tempermental sometimes when trying to copy files, so if you manage to get into the root folder, delete the existing clppa.bin folder and replace it with version clipplus01.02.16 http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/300 or if you fancy doing a manual install follow  http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS#Installation  click first wiki link only, then follow instructions given by Sansa forum poster.

Do you have Rockbox installed? if no, then consider the following…

I installed the latest version of Rockbox (reformats the OS of the Clip+ and you end up with an ocean full of oomph - in the same way as having your ecu chipped) and it connects right through my entire (complex) folder structure every time. Standard Sansa firmware/menu options do not come anywhere near the functionality of Rockbox

Hope you find this useful

Glad you got the player up and running!  And this is a reason why I value my Norton Internet Security program.

But even then:  today I upgraded to the latest version a well-respected media player on my computer.  And without ANY warning or option otherwise, the media player, automatically and without any notice (but I noted what was happening as files were being installed) installed a 3rd-party search engine into each of my browsers and swiched my default search engine under each browser to that.  Needless-to-say, I was ticked (although it was easy enough to uninstall and reverse the default).   

@miikerman wrote:

Glad you got the player up and running!  And this is a reason why I value my Norton Internet Security program.

Ady_P_UK is not the OP with the problem. I believe he was offering a suggestion and/or potential solution to HumptyNumpty’s path issue.

@miikerman wrote:

But even then:  today I upgraded to the latest version a well-respected media player on my computer.  And without ANY warning or option otherwise, the media player, automatically and without any notice (but I noted what was happening as files were being installed) installed a 3rd-party search engine into each of my browsers and swiched my default search engine under each browser to that.  Needless-to-say, I was ticked (although it was easy enough to uninstall and reverse the default).   

Bet I can guess what POS (piece of [ahem] “software”) THAT was . . .  :laughing:

@tapeworm wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Ady_P_UK is not the OP with the problem. I believe he was offering a suggestion and/or potential solution to HumptyNumpty’s path issue.

@miikerman wrote:

Bet I can guess what POS (piece of [ahem] “software”) THAT was . . .  :laughing:

Not iTunes, if that’s what you’re thinking:stuck_out_tongue:…when the update notices come for that, you can clearly select what you want installed and what not to install.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Not iTunes, if that’s what you’re thinking:stuck_out_tongue:…when the update notices come for that, you can clearly select what you want installed and what not to install.

Nope, that’s not what I was thinking. :wink:

Hi,

for that error message “path too deep”, I would suggest to use the Long Path Tool… I used it when I encountered the same error message.

Hope this helps…

Hello again and apologies to those who have given their time and effort on this and had no

response till now!. I got sent away on a training course and had no internet access.

Sooo… now I’m back and…long story told short, I attached my clip to the PC basically thinking

“one more attempt before I investigate all the options these guys have suggested”… and yep,

I was able to copy to the Clip straight off! DOHHH!  I have no idea what’s gotten the situation

back to normal. Maybe my PC just needed a rest! For the moment I’m going with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links. I’ll be keeping them handy just in case it all goes wonky

again. Actually I now have a problem with a MicroSD card I installed…but that needs a new topic.

Anyways, thanks again…y’all are heroes!

I definitely am a subscriber to the “maybe the electronics just needs a rest theory.” Just last evening, my TV tuner box wouldn’t respond to the remote, not with new batteries, nothing, I finally gave up and decided to get to sleep, thinking maybe that some sleep would help the TV box as well. And, yep: it was fine in the morning. :wink:

Long Path Tool helped me in this situation. http://PathTooDeep.com

Long Path Tool helped me in this situation.
http://PathTooDeep.com

@gabrielnar wrote:

Long Path Tool helped me in this situation.
<spam removed>

We’ve already had 2 recommendations for this software in this thread. The fact that _ nobody _ mentioned that this “tool” is available on a free trial basis, and then you have to pay for it simply amounts to spamming, something not appreciated nor allowed here. :angry:

Even if unintentional, 3 links to somethng in the same thread is 2 too many.