Can firmware fix this?

I’ve got my 8gig Fuze pretty much full. A bunch of music and a little over 100 podcasts, I only say this because the speed of the “Refreshing your music” seems to relate to the number of files on the device. I just timed mine and it clocked in at 3:32. This isnt great but I uderstand that it has to look though the tags now so that I can look though them quickly later.

My problem is that it takes the same amount of time to delete a file, thats not cool. It knows what file I want gone, why not make a specific edit to whatever list it uses to cache the tags?

And this is only with the 8gigs already on the player, I’ve got another 8gig card coming. Am I going to be looking at 7min or more to Refresh?

My Fuze is a 4gb, with an 8gb card…when it’s full, the refresh time is about 4.5 minutes…of course, your mileage may vary :smiley:

I’ve got an 8GB e280v2 player and an 8GB card, both jamm-packed (2300 files). It takes 5 minutes start to finish for a database refresh. My Fuze is only a 2GB model, so I can’t compare them directly but I’ve heard the Fuze is faster at refreshing. I am looking forward to getting a 16GB card for the extra room, but I’m NOT looking forward to the inevitable longer refresh time. :cry:

As far as the time it takes to delete a song, there is a known problem/issue with the Fuze’s on-board DELETE function. It can hang or freeze requiring a re-start. This bug is supposed to be fixed in the next firmware release (if I recall correctly) that due out very soon. Until then, I’d suggest avoiding the problem by only deleting files via your computer connection. :wink:

I’ve got an 8GB e280v2 player and an 8GB card, both jamm-packed (2300 files). It takes 5 minutes start to finish for a database refresh. My Fuze is only a 2GB model, so I can’t compare them directly but I’ve heard the Fuze is faster at refreshing. I am looking forward to getting a 16GB card for the extra room, but I’m NOT looking forward to the inevitable longer refresh time. :angry:

As far as the time it takes to delete a song, there is a known problem/issue with the Fuze’s on-board DELETE function. It can hang or freeze requiring a re-start. This bug is supposed to be fixed in the next firmware release (if I recall correctly) that’s due out very soon. Until then, I’d suggest avoiding the problem by only deleting files via your computer connection. :wink:

I’d love to delete the files by computer but the tags dont always match the file names for the podcasts and after I do a random fill of my player I dont want to carry a notepad to list all of the songs I want to delete.

I was hoping there was a setting I could change to suspend the refresh or something.

What you could do is clear your go-list, and then use that.  Find a song you want to delete, hold the center button to add it to the go-list, then right before you hook up your computer, look at what’s in your go-list and delete those songs.

But yeah, I’d love it if there were a way to speed up the database refresh through FW.  Not sure if there is, but I mean, alot of other flash players seem to work fine without doing that (I know Ipod’s don’t refresh all the time, anyway).  Still, it could be a HW thing, but I’m hoping there’s something that can be done…