Broken Screen?

Hello, My 8-gig Fuze is having a major problem. I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem, before, and If it can be either fixed, or replaced (since it is just barely over a month old). If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

First off, I have tried “resetting” my Fuze, and that did nothing :cry:, so please don’t ask. I do not believe this is a software problem.

Now, to explain the problem, itself. My screen shows distortion all the time, now. Especially in the upper left-hand corner. I believe that it may be cracked. I don’t know how to explain it, so if anyone could tell me how to post pictures on this forum, I would much appreciate it.

PS: - sorry if this has been asked before, but I am having internet problems right now, and am unable to stay connected long enough to use the search function. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Try to reinstall the firmware.

If this doesn’t work, try calling Sandisk, since it’s barely over a month old.  All have a 1 year warranty.

PS - To get pictures on here, you have to have it on the internet somewhere.  Click the picture button, and copy the URL into it. 

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate being able to turn to this forum in my time of need. But…

First, I said that this does not look like a software problem. I did try “re-firmware-ing” my device, but, as I suspected, that did nothing.

Second, I do have a photo availibe, thanks to Facebook.

HELP!!!!

Notice how the cracks seem to merge at that big, black/red spot. That is not normal.

Although this Fuze is only a month old, I do have another (long story short, it doesn’t work), which I have been in posession of for some time. So, I know that this likley isn’t some small, common, easy-to-fix issue. If I can’t find help here after a couple of days, I guess I will have no choice, but to bug Sandisk. Still, I hope I can save this thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Message Edited by halonachos117 on 05-13-2010 07:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate being able to turn to this forum in my time of need. But…

First, I said that this does not look like a software problem. I did try “re-firmware-ing” my device, but, as I suspected, that did nothing.

Second, I do have a photo availibe, thanks to Facebook.

HELP!!!!

Notice how the cracks seem to merge at that big, black/red spot. That is not normal.

Although this Fuze is only a month old, I do have another (long story short, it doesn’t work), which I have been in posession of for more than a year. So, I know this likley isn’t some small, common, easy-to-fix issue. If I can’t find help here after a couple of days, I guess I will have no choice, but to bug Sandisk. Still, I hope I can save this thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Message Edited by halonachos117 on 05-13-2010 07:52 PM

halonachos117 wrote:

That is a cracked LCD screen, pure & simple. Caused by sitting on it, dropping it, dropping something on it, smacking your kid brother up against the side of the head with it, or whatever. Irregardless, it’s classified by ‘customer abuse’ and as such wouldn’t be covered under SanDisk’s warranty.

halonachos117 wrote:

That is a cracked LCD screen, pure & simple. Caused by sitting on it, dropping it, dropping something on it, smacking your kid brother up against the side of the head with it, or whatever. Irregardless, it's classified by 'customer abuse' and as such wouldn't be covered under SanDisk's warranty.

Your only option is to buy a new one and responsibly dispose of/recycle this one.

I was afraid you would say that.:womansad: IDK how the screen cracked… I went into class with the MP3 player in almost mint condition. I came out of class, and… :dizzy_face:

Another question, If I continue using the player, will the screen get worse (assuming it *isn’t* dropped, used to smack people with, ect)? Although I did enjoy the video function, I guess I could do without it, but I won’t even bother using this player if I know that the screen will go completely black or something. Mostly I am afraid that I will no longer be able to know what I am doing to this poor little device.

I had the same issue with my Sansa Fuze: I was never sitting on the device nor damaging it in any kind. One interesting thing was, that the protection plastic from the devices housing was not broken, so I asked SanDisk support: they’ve done it via RMA and I got a new device :)!

Edit: I also must write here that there was not even a scratch on the device housing.

Message Edited by cruxy on 05-20-2010 12:00 PM

You basically just told my story. I originally did not wantmy Fuze’s screen to be scratched up (like the screen from my last Fuze), so I bought one of those “action jackets” to protect my Fuze (I did not think I would need it, but I would rather scatch it than the Fuze). The outter screen is still unharmed, it is just my inner screen that is damaged.

But… where do you go to get a replacement? I electronically asked Sandisk tech support, and they haven’t responded back yet. I believe that the page said that they generally respond to questions via e-mail in one business day… but its been over a week, now. If you could help me, that would be much appreciated.

I asked a question at the SanDisk’s support page (after registering an account there). If you’ve an account there check if there is an answer from SanDisk or not (maybe the e-mail you got is in SPAM folder?). Support from SanDisk is rather fast compared to others ;), but it could take some days to get an answer there.