Brand New, Nothing Works

Brand new 8 gb Fuze. I put music on it and still have about 350 mb of free space left. Problem is that it does not respond to any commands except “Play All”. It will not go to any sub menu’s such as Artist or Album or Song. I’ve tried the soft re-boot, turning it off and holding the power switch off for 15 seconds, then turning it back on.

Nothing.

I downloaded the firmware updater but since the unit has to be in MSC mode, I can’t update anything since I can’t access the MSC mode.

Suggestions? 

Contact Sandisk and send it back? 

Throw it out the window?

Very disappointing. I have a 2gb Sansa Clip that works beautifully.

try using the manual firmware update. instructions are stickied at the top of this board. you can do it in MTP or MSC.,

Thanks, but sadly it did not help.

The unit DID jump to language selection and pick French for it’s default language, though.

Now I can’t read anything. 

Guess I’ll have to buy Rosetta Stone and learn to speak French. 

Message Edited by monkbiker on 12-02-2008 08:00 PM

Message Edited by monkbiker on 12-02-2008 08:00 PM

Take it back to Costco and hope they still have some to exchange for you. You shouldn’t have problems like this right out of the box. You did your best with user-initiated fixes, but sometimes you just get a lemon.

And with the season not exactly condusive for lemonade, I suggest taking it back and getting a cherry. :smiley:

I sent a request for support in to Sandisk and they responded already!!:smileyvery-happy:

Whoever it was sent me about a half-dozen links with images of the unit, which button does what and so on.

I’ve got to say, I am very impressed with the quick response of tech support, as well as those of you that have already responded in this forum!

I checked out my receipt from Costco and it says they’ll accept returns on these sorts of items for up to 90 days. I make a habit of keeping my receipts, and I still had the original packaging (in my circular file, but it’s clean!)  so it looks like a return will be happening tomorrow.

There’s another thread in this forum where a few people said that Costco only had about 40 or 50 of these items on hand. I had a coupon for $40 off; if worse comes to worst maybe they’ll give me a rain check (knock wood).

Thanks again for your quick replies guys.

mb

If you can exchange it at Costco, that’s definitely the way to go. SanDisk will replace it (1 year warranty), but it takes a while (sometimes weeks). If there’s more than one Costco in your area, and the one where you bought it has run out, ask them to call another store to try and find one for you. Even if you have to drive a few more miles, you can get another one same day. Better than playing the ‘waiting game’ sending it back to SanDisk. :wink:

Thanks TW. I’m thinking that I’d prefer a replacement if that’s possible. I had a coupon for this and managed to get it on sale for about $50 which is a terrific price. Just getting my money back would be OK, but if I had my “druthers”, I’d druther have a replacement for the same price.

I’ll let you know how the story ends. 

@tapeworm wrote:

Take it back to Costco and hope they still have some to exchange for you. You shouldn’t have problems like this right out of the box. You did your best with user-initiated fixes, but sometimes you just get a lemon.

And with the season not exactly condusive for lemonade, I suggest taking it back and getting a cherry. :smiley:

My experience with CostCo is that they do not do exchanges.  Returns, yes, exchanges, no.

@jfencl wrote:

My experience with CostCo is that they do not do exchanges.  Returns, yes, exchanges, no.

It’s just a matter of wording. An exchange is nothing but a return and a new sale, conveniently placed in 1 transaction, rather than 2. The way Costco is set up; yes, you’d have to return it to the Customer Service desk, but you would first want to go to the display & see if they’ve got any more. Grab one (or one of the cards) & take it with you and explain you want another one for the same price as you got it the other day with the coupon. They may send you to a different place (like Customer Pick-Up) but they should be able to do it for you if (and this is the big IF) they have any more after the weekend!

@tapeworm wrote:

@jfencl wrote:

It’s just a matter of wording. An exchange is nothing but a return and a new sale, conveniently placed in 1 transaction, rather than 2.

If and only if you can get the exact same deal.  It is not just a matter of wording.  There is a world of difference.

@jfencl wrote:

If and only if you can get the exact same deal.  It is not just a matter of wording.  There is a world of difference.

Granted Costco does things their own way sometimes, but I have to respectfully disagree. After working more than 30 years in the retail business for a few different places a merchandise exchange is exactly what I said, a return and a new sale, just in the same transaction (or at the same time). All the places I’ve ever worked ALWAYS gave the customer the benefit of whatever price was better; the price at the time of original purchase, or the price at the time of ‘return’ even if it meant giving the customer money back to boot.

To do any differently or take advantage of some ‘coupon or limited time offer’ loop-hole would not only p!ss off an already upset customer, but likely alienate them (and anybody they might influence) for life. Not good business practice!

If you re-read my post, I suggested taking another unit with him ( if available) to the CS desk and explaining that he wanted another one at the same price as he bought it for a few days earlier. This is not an un-reasonable request, nor would I see it that way if I were behind the counter.

But like I first said, Costco makes their own rules sometimes, so never assume that standard business practices always apply. You should always as a customer, ask & verify what you want prior to committing to a transaction. That’s just common sense. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@jfencl wrote:

Granted Costco does things their own way sometimes, but I have to respectfully disagree. After working more than 30 years in the retail business for a few different places a merchandise exchange is exactly what I said, a return and a new sale, just in the same transaction (or at the same time). All the places I’ve ever worked ALWAYS gave the customer the benefit of whatever price was better; the price at the time of original purchase, or the price at the time of ‘return’ even if it meant giving the customer money back to boot.

To do any differently or take advantage of some ‘coupon or limited time offer’ loop-hole would not only p!ss off an already upset customer, but likely alienate them (and anybody they might influence) for life. Not good business practice!

If you re-read my post, I suggested taking another unit with him ( if available) to the CS desk and explaining that he wanted another one at the same price as he bought it for a few days earlier. This is not an un-reasonable request, nor would I see it that way if I were behind the counter.

But like I first said, Costco makes their own rules sometimes, so never assume that standard business practices always apply. You should always as a customer, ask & verify what you want prior to committing to a transaction. That’s just common sense. :wink:

Not to belabor the point but this is how I’ve had to do “exchanges” with Costco.  You take the original item to the Customer Service desk.  They give you a refund.  Then, you must get another item and purchase it at a cash register; just like any other purchase.  Now, I’ve only done these within a day or two of the original purchase but there was not any kind of “connect” between the Customer Service person and the cash register person.  I’ve even asked if I can exchange and they always said, “No.  Refunds only.”

YMMV.

@jfencl wrote:

Not to belabor the point but this is how I’ve had to do “exchanges” with Costco.  You take the original item to the Customer Service desk.  They give you a refund.  Then, you must get another item and purchase it at a cash register; just like any other purchase.  Now, I’ve only done these within a day or two of the original purchase but there was not any kind of “connect” between the Customer Service person and the cash register person.  I’ve even asked if I can exchange and they always said, “No.  Refunds only.”

OK, like I said, Costco does it’s own thing sometimes. And it’s certainly not worth arguing over whether Funk & Wagnall’s definition of the word “exchange” is more correct than Webster’s. I think you’re trying to make a point regarding customer service as it applies to Costco and their policies.

I’d chalk this procedure up in the list of reasons NOT to shop at Costco, but on the other hand I’ve also received a gift card in the mail from Costco for a price reduction on something I bought from them about 3 weeks earlier. The difference was the value on the gift card. I didn’t (or wouldn’t have) known about it, had I not received the card. That, in my mind goes at the top of the list of reasons TO shop at Costco.

Besides, it never hurts to politely ask, “May I speak to a manager please?” if you feel you are being un-fairly treated. That’s what they’re there for. Sometimes you have to remind them of that fact. :wink:

Seems to me as if they should simply exchange the item. If they don’t have another one in stock it seems reasonable to assume that they will order one and hold it for me. I was there on time for the sale, purchased the item with the coupon they provided during the sale’s time frame and will return the item in its original packaging with the original receipt.

Now I know there are no guarantees, but as someone just said, speaking to a manager might help. Bottom line is that if I even just get a full refund I’ll be more or less satisfied. Yes, I will miss out on the sale price but I would have broken even - less gasoline and time and irritation.

Still, I’m over there every week making purchases for my company - we spend $500 to $1,000 a week over there, 35 or 40 weeks a year. All the cashiers and most of the managers know me by sight and by company name, so they know I’m not trying to pull a fast one.

I’ll find out tomorrow, and let ya’all know how the story ends.

Keep yer fingers crossed.

I’m not trying to be funny, but you haven’t mentioned whether you’ve tried spinning the thumbwheel. If you used a Sansa Clip then you might be expecting to use the controls like a 4-way pad. Someone else didn’t realise you had to spin the wheel in a different thread. http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=7926

@monkbiker wrote:

Seems to me as if they should simply exchange the item. If they don’t have another one in stock it seems reasonable to assume that they will order one and hold it for me. I was there on time for the sale, purchased the item with the coupon they provided during the sale’s time frame and will return the item in its original packaging with the original receipt.

Yes, that does sound like the simplest solution, but as Costco does things ‘in bulk’ and is adapt at working with the ‘maddening hoardes’ they must think they’ve got the best system in place for dealing with the most amount of people in the most efficient manner. Efficiency & speed sometimes over-rides customer service.

To give its customer’s great deals like you got, Costco also buys in bulk. So many times when an item is gone, it’s gone. They are not set up to simply order another one and hold it for you. They’re not part of their regular assortment (at least not any more). I haven’t seen any Sansas at any of the Costcos near me in over a year (and there are 5 of them within 20 miles). None were even running the Black Friday special on the Fuze. No coupon, no Fuzes, no nothing around here. So it sounds like this was a regional promotion, not national. I got a coupon book prior to this, but there was no mention of a ‘Fuze Friday’ or any coupon for one.

But I certainly wish you the best of luck, and will keep my fingers crossed for you! :wink:

@pelago wrote:
I’m not trying to be funny, but you haven’t mentioned whether you’ve tried spinning the thumbwheel. If you used a Sansa Clip then you might be expecting to use the controls like a 4-way pad. Someone else didn’t realise you had to spin the wheel in a different thread. http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=7926

No, I didn’t try spinning the thumbwheel. I was indeed expecting to use the controls like a 4-way pad.

*sigh* (looking for forehead-smacking emoticon)

Had the instruction booklet indicated that there was a “spinning” control input I might have saved myself a whole lot of trouble.

I took it back today and they refunded the purchase price onto my credit card. Now it looks like there was nothing wrong with it. Maybe I should drive back over there. It’s probably still sitting on the cart in Merchandise Returns. 

Don’t worry, you’re not the only person to have been caught out by this. Maybe Sansa need to make their instructions clearer, or have a little sticker (that can be removed before using) on the control with arrows indicating rotation.

@monkbiker wrote:

No, I didn’t try spinning the thumbwheel. I was indeed expecting to use the controls like a 4-way pad.

*sigh* (looking for forehead-smacking emoticon)

SLAPPP!!!

I think monkbiker just had a

moment. :smileyvery-happy:

Wow, that’s the 2nd one this week! Maybe we should have this info added to the FAQ.

Oh, that’s right, the Fuze board doesn’t have one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Rather than adding it to the FAQ, perhaps Sansa / SanDisk could see their way clear to adding it to their little instructional booklet in the Fuze package.