Audiobooks - FF and Reverse

I’ve purchased the Clip to use mainly for Media Overdrive audiobooks that I can download for free from my local library system. I was successful in downloading the books, but have some questions about the upcoming firmware that is to address some issues associated with using the Clip with audiobooks:

Right now, if I miss some of the book due to noise or some other distraction, when I press the reverse button, it starts that section of the book from the beginning. I would like to be able to reverse just a minute or two. I’ve had to listen to the first half hour of a book three times because I can’t backup just a little bit. Will the upcoming firmware solve this? Or, can I do this now and simply haven’t figured out how to do it?

I did read that the problem with the book sections not downloading in order will be addressed with the new firmware update, would you please confirm this?

Thank you.  

Ouch!  You don’t have to play back all that audio…but you have proven your patience!  Apply that patience during the first 100 milliseconds (1/10 sec), and DON’T LET GO of the rewind button.  It will rewind slowly, than it will progress to warp speed, provided that you have the latest firmware.

The earliest firmware of the clip had a snail paced, linear REW / FF, which was improved to the new version.

Please note, that if your finger bounces slightly on the FF/REW buttons, it will zap to the beginning or end, so it takes a wee bit of practice.  A short press (above) tells the clip to run to the end.

The trick is to start the scan, then let go after a moment, if it starts to swep too fast.  The current swep rate is perfect for those who load long audiobooks without chapter breaks.

Check your firmware version by going to Settings > Info.    The current build is 1.01.20.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks, Bob.  I’ll give it another try during lunch today. If I can’t get my trigger-finger trained properly, I’ll be able to recite the first section of the book in my sleep…

Got the Clip on Sunday and do have the most recent firmware update.   

Hi,

The next release of the Clip firmware will fix this issue.  Audiobook mode will not skip back to the beginning if you release the button too soon.  You can do that by using the Resume / Restart prompt. 

With reading this question and replies, I discovered that my local public library offers downloadable books and how to update my firmware.  Thanks for the info!

Is there a way to hear while ff or rew?  On my Creative Muvo the function is called cue/review.

Nope–not part of the feautre set, altho I think it’s a great and helpful feature that should be the norm in players nowadays.

Nope–not part of the feature set, although I think it’s a great and helpful feature that should be the norm in players nowadays.  

Different question. ive downloaded two audiobooks from audible. Isnt there supposed to be a function which allows me to browse through chapters? i can only ff an reverse. I would like to jump like 5 minutes forward :slight_smile:

While Playing an audible,  press the down arrow, bringin up the Audiobook Options.

Select Chapter Mode “On”

Press the menu key to back out.

If you press and release the FF and REW buttons it will skip from one Chapter to the next. 

is purchasing from Audible the only way to get an mp3 file files under “audiobooks”?

I’m not sure if this helps, but I have other audiobooks (non-Audible) and I simply store them on the Clip in a folder I’ve entitled Audiobook (or something like that).  I also use that name for the Genre field for them and so can access them through that on the Clip.

Next release will have this covered.  All content you place under Audiobooks or tag as Audiobook will appear in the UI under Audiobooks and will have resume feature.

Audible books are in .aa format. The sansa Clip supports this format, and stores these books in the Audiobook folder. There are several functions available unique to Audible books on the sansa: chapter mode, variable playback speed, and a special bookmark (single) that returns you to the stop point regardless of where you navigate to (as in listening to a different book, FM, or music.)

In the future, the Clip will have a podcast / book folder separated by genre (ID3 tag). That’s coming in a future firmware release.

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

Hi sansafix!  We posted over eachother there.  :stuck_out_tongue: 

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 04-15-2008 05:37 PM

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one with problems fast forwarding. If I turn off my Clip, it invariably returns to the start of that disc. Forwarding back to where you were is impossible. I’ve also noticed that when I download from Audible, it goes into the audiobooks file. If I download from the library, it goes into the music file. Is this the problem and is it correctable? Also, when can we expect updated software?

I found that I could fast forward or rewind (archaic term - what are we winding now?) only by first hitting “play” on top then holding the “next” or “previous” button down. This works for Overdrive books from the library as well as audible.com downloads. If you’re not in “play” to start with you can only skip to the next or previous track, regardless of how long you hold down the button. BTW the progress through the track will gradually accelerate so pay attention. Hope this helps.

@pfilloon wrote:
I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one with problems fast forwarding. If I turn off my Clip, it invariably returns to the start of that disc. Forwarding back to where you were is impossible. I’ve also noticed that when I download from Audible, it goes into the audiobooks file. If I download from the library, it goes into the music file. Is this the problem and is it correctable? Also, when can we expect updated software?

Install the Audible Manager client, rather than synchronizing your Audible books with WiMP. You’ll be pleasantly suprised how much better the Audible Manager stand-alone version is! Note (verified with Audible tech support- there is a bit of confusion) that you can’t effectively use both versions (Manager solo version versus WiMP version) for your Audible downloads. Choose one or the other.

The two versions of the manager are available at Audible.com

Note that Windows Media Player 11 has a habit of freaking out with the 64kBPS files (books), and I’ve found that the transfers aren’t always playable when I used the WiMP interface.

I strongly recommend using format 3 for happy playing of Audible books with the Clip.

You’ll really like the Audible Manager’s built-in book player too. Lots of bells and whistles.

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

p.s.  Yes, WiMP has chosen to stuff your Audible books into the wrong folder.  Delete them, and retransfer with the new Manager. 

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 04-16-2008 06:13 PM

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 04-16-2008 06:14 PM

I don’t use Audible, but download books for free from my local libaries using Media Overdrive. I been able to FF and rewind by not lifting the button so quickly, as Bob suggested. Try pushing the hold button and then turn off the Clip to keep your place. Or, I just push the hold button and let the player turn itself off.