Audio book track order

I have a new Sansa Clip. I loaded an audio book onto it, but the tracks are not playing in the proper order.  Here is the order I’m getting.  These are the track names:

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 01- Track 01

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 02- Track 01

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 03- Track 01

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 11- Track 01

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 01- Track 02

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 02- Track 02

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 03- Track 02

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 11- Track 02

etc.

In other words, it plays all the track 1’s, then all the track 2’s, etc.

It should sort like this:

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 01- Track 03

etc.

I have no idea how to fix this.

@mikerain wrote:

I have a new Sansa Clip. I loaded an audio book onto it, but the tracks are not playing in the proper order.  Here is the order I’m getting.  These are the track names:

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 02- Track 01

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 03- Track 01

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 11- Track 01

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 02- Track 02

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 03- Track 02

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 11- Track 02

etc.

In other words, it plays all the track 1’s, then all the track 2’s, etc.

It should sort like this:

A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 01- Track 03

etc.

I have no idea how to fix this.

Downlaod mp3tag and edit the tag for each part. so CD 01 would be displayed as track 1,2,3 and then CD 2 would be 4,5,6.

So you wont have multiple files with the ditinction Track 01, 02 and so on.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 02-12-2009 02:16 AM

Conversionbox is right there and in my few days of reading this forum his/her posts have been very useful indeed.

Just wanted to clarify a little more on how I would attempt this though…

First though, if you have the room it might be worth doing a copy of this audiobook in case things go wrong and all tags get lost for any reason!!!

If you have each of the Splendid Suns CDs in a different folder try this way…

1)Get Mp3tag and install.

2)Click the folder icon that has the green circle and a tick - this will open the directory of CD 01

3)Click the foler icon that has a grey cross in it then add the folder for CD02 - keep doing this for all the CDs, it is done this way to keep the CDs in order.

4)Select everything in the list and select TOOL > AUTO NUMBER WIZARD - make sure reset counter for each directory is UNTICKED

5)When numbering is complete, keep all highlighted then click the save icon.

You should now have each file numbered and they should play in order.

If you dont have them in seperate folders then I would seperate them first then do the instruction above.  When all taging is done each file should have a ‘track number’ which the player should automaticly pick as a preferance field and threfore play in correct order.  Because the tags are done you can put everything back in 1 folder again - it wont affect the tags!

note: I have never actually had to do this myself as dont use audio books - but that is certainly the way I would attempt it unless anyone else thinks that is wrong?

Good luck!

pinkfloydian

Thanks a lot for both replies.  I want to make sure I understand.  Which tag am I editing?  The track NAME?  Or the track NUMBER?

This is confusing because in this case, the track number is part of each track’s NAME, e.g. the track NAME is:

“A Thousand Splendid Suns CD 02- Track 01”.

Mike,

Well I think you should be editing the track number as that is what the player should be looking for when playing back.

I dont think you need to do anything with the track names - and in fact … should not need to do anything with the track numbers either as the auto-numbering will number them all sequentialy according to how they are showing on the list within Mp3Tag.

The thing to get right is to get them in the list in the right order first so that the auto numbering sees them properly - that is why I recommended adding them one folder at a time and in order.

So lets say you opened folder CD01, then you used the grey corss and added folder CD03, then you added folder CD02, then you used autonumber - I think it would number them correctly and as it sees them therefore numbering CD03 after CD01 which would play in the wrong order.

I think the skill here is to open CD1, then add CD02, then add CD03, then CD04 (etc) and when they are all in the list correctly in order of CD and order of track title in those CDs, you can auto number the whole lot which will put the numbers into the Track Number box.

Anyway, thats how I would do it and am confident it would work!

Let us know how you get on please?

pinkfloydian

All right, I think I’ve got it.  I have to change the track NUMBERs.  That tells me the Sansa Clip sorts by Album, and within Album it sorts by Track Number.  Track Name makes no difference.

Before I saw these replies, I tried something else which also seemed to work.  I changed the Album names.  All the tracks had the same Album tag, which was the audio book’s title.  I changed the Album names to include the CD number, i.e. “Splendid Suns 01”, “Splendid Suns 02” etc.  That put each disk in a separate album.

The only drawback is that when listening, it won’t automatically jump from the last track of disk 1 to the first track of disk 2.  I’ll have to manually tell it to start playing disk (album) 2.  For that reason, I like your solution better.

Thanks a lot!

Mike,
Do me a flavour tho mate, COPY IT ALL before you try my method in case the tags get completely messed up - and come back and let me know if it worked please mate as it may help others.

Ta.

pinkfloydian

Will do.

It took me a few weeks but I finally got around to doing this.  I installed Mp3tag and used the Auto-numbering wizard to create a single sequence of track numbers.  It worked!

The only thing I would add that wasn’t stated explicitly above is to make all the tracks for the same audio book have the same Album name.  I.e. all tracks should be in album “Splendid Suns” rather than “Splendid Suns Disk 1”, “Splendid Suns Disk 2”, etc, which is how they were originally ripped by default.  This ensures that they’re all together on the Sansa.

Thanks Conversionbox and Pinkfloydian for the advice!

• Mike

As a follow up question, does the Clip support 3 digit track numbers?

Thanks,

Wes

There is also a Disk number tag available, specifically for multi-disk albums, which you could use instead of renumbering all the tracks.  I’m not sure if Clip reads it though.  If I had to do it just in the track tag, I’d put the disk number in the hundreds digit, so you’d have: 0101, 0102, 0103, 0201, 0202, 0203, 0301, …

Message Edited by donp on 03-26-2009 09:14 AM