After overnight recharge, Sansa Fuze + endlessly LOOPS through "loading" graphics

I plug it in at bedtime, and, in the morning, I observe the “electric bolt” icon on the green battery logo, indicating a full charge. I disconnect the device, and, as you know, it goes to the sansa four-leaf-colored clover icon, exploding into the pixelated “Sansa” startup welcome–as usual.

But… it… just… keeps repeating! Endlessly.

I called tech support. A manual firmware update enabled a normal start. Great!

BUT, it happened again today after an overnight recharge.

I had to re-do the firmware update to get it to start normally.

And here’s the clencher: THE BATTERY ISN’T EVEN FULLY CHARGED though it spent all night plugged in. It indicates only a half charge.

SanDisk, please help.

Call Tech Support again. Sounds like you may have a defective unit.

I’ve had this problem before.  Remove any flac files you have from the internal memory.  Strangely, this problem did not occur with the same files on a µSD card.

Called tech support; they did not cede that unit was defective.

As to the half-battery life, they claimed it was due to overcharging-- that the unit should only be charged three hours and that the battery actually discharges after reaching full charge. If this is true, this means that the battery discharged from full to half within 3-4 hours, beoing plugged in, not being used. This claim is suspect.

As to the cycling of the sansa flower logo, there was no real solution. It was implied that overcharging it causes both problems. I am still skeptical.

@ianbt7 wrote:

Called tech support; they did not cede that unit was defective.

As to the half-battery life, they claimed it was due to overcharging-- that the unit should only be charged three hours and that the battery actually discharges after reaching full charge. If this is true, this means that the battery discharged from full to half within 3-4 hours, beoing plugged in, not being used. This claim is suspect.

As to the cycling of the sansa flower logo, there was no real solution. It was implied that overcharging it causes both problems. I am still skeptical.

Me too.

ianbt7,

I have reviewed your incident and I agree with you. The correct troubleshooting steps were not taken. I have arranged to ahve a level 2  Support Technion contact you.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

@kremnari wrote:

I’ve had this problem before.  Remove any flac files you have from the internal memory.  Strangely, this problem did not occur with the same files on a µSD card.

I use flac and have never had this issue. can you post one of your flac files that cause the issue so we can take a look at it?

@drlucky wrote:
I use flac and have never had this issue. can you post one of your flac files that cause the issue so we can take a look at it?

Isn’t that piracy? :robottongue:

I remeber when I had that same problem with my old Sansa m230. I had to take the thing apart to get it fixed!

I would classify piracy as posting a file for multiple users to access, as in a filesharing or P2P network.

Transferring a file for troubleshooting purposes is an entirely different case.  The intent is completely different.  You can upload a file on one of several available sites, for access by password or link only, the file is not publicly available.

As a precaution, once the file has been transferred, you can then delete it from the server.

I agree, if you enjoy the music, the rights holder has earned his money, he’s entitled to it.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob: Let me see if I can narrow down the exact song and then upload it for you.  I only narrowed it down to the album.

Dear Sansa,

I have rarely seen or experienced such spectacular customer support/service.

A Sansa representative called me last week. I’m now holding in my hand a NEW (replacement) Fuze+ because the Sansa support team had the initiative, know-how, and people-sensitive customer service skills that makes companies memorable.

I did not recognize the number on my cell phone, but after answering it, the representative identified himself, indicated that I was given misinformation (that battery overcharge causes repeating Sansa flower icon) and that they have made arrangements for me to return the defective and receive a new one. The Rep even pulled some strings so as to push my case righ up front so as to bypass the normal 24 hour waiting-for-approval period.

I must say, these guys (Sansa) really know how to deal with their customers. They pulled through, and it looks like this is the beginning of a positive business relationship.

All I gotta say is this: keep it up!

The device I received as a replacement, after one week of moderate use, is now acting up in different ways.

1. after an overnight charge, the battery indicator all of the sudden showed critically low.

2. Screen shutoff while music plays

3. volume and navigation buttons unresponsive

This is not all. Is “firmware” supposed to fix such seemingly deep-reaching flaws?

@ianbt7 wrote:

This is not all. Is “firmware” supposed to fix such seemingly deep-reaching flaws?

Firmware cannot fix hardware.

Sadly, it sounds as though your replacement is defective too.

Also, I tried a Firmware update (I’m an expert at this stuff byu now, so there’s no question of error on my part) and the device won’t even take it; where you usually should see an “updating” dialogue, there’s nothing but “loading”…

Could you arrange for another replacement please via return label?

@ianbt7 wrote:

Also, I tried a Firmware update (I’m an expert at this stuff byu now, so there’s no question of error on my part) and the device won’t even take it; where you usually should see an “updating” dialogue, there’s nothing but “loading”…

This is a User’s Forum. You’ll have to contact SanDisk directly:

http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us

@ianbt7 wrote:

This is a User’s Forum. You’ll have to contact SanDisk directly:

http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us

having 2 defective pieces of hardware in a row is pretty unlikely. I am more leaning towards something you are doing or the files you have on it causing the issues. 

AS for the overnight charge, how exactly are you doing this? is your computer entering sleep or hibernate? both will cut power to the USB ports. 

the screen does shut off while playing music this is normal and is to save battery power.

volume and navigation unresponsive. are you sure the device was not frozen? did you try resetting it?

I understand why you want to cast doubt upon the fact that the 2nd Fuze+ is defective, regarding both your position as a Sansa product promoter (by association) and the statistical improbability of me receiveing two defective devices.

But let me remind you of a few things, first dismissing any notion that I am using the product incorrectly. I only use mp3s and my charging is not at all accompanied by varying computer power statuses.

First, this forum is filled with hundreds if not (tacitly) thousands of problems and potential problems accociated with this Fuze+. Many would agree with me what the original Fuze was better (both ergonomically and aesthetically) and that the Fuze+ is beleagured with an overwhelmng number of hardware, software, (and for some, even aesthetic) problems. In a forum post, I addressed the issue of the recorded voice files missing milliseconds of content here and there. Even this has not been addressed and is still a lingering problem.

Secondly, I would normally agree with you that it is unlikely that this (2nd) Fuze + is defective too if and only if the problem were the exact same. That scenario would be highly unprobable. But, when you consider the fact that my (2nd) Fuze+ has different bugs, quirks, problems than the first Fuze±-which I cannot fix (not to mention that a firmware update, a common remedy, did not even work-- then you, truly, must be the one to make concessions. It is statistically probable that a second Fuze+ could have differnt problems; it would be less probable for it to have itentical issues.

Bottom line: The device is defective.

Now, earlier in this same thread, “Slotmonsta” initiated a level 2 technical support operation. I wish as a customer the same steps be taken now. Here’s a copy of the message:

ianbt7,

I have reviewed your incident and I agree with you. The correct troubleshooting steps were not taken. I have arranged to ahve a level 2  Support Technion contact you.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

Please do not cast doubt on this situation so that it is not exacerbated. Please just take the necessary steps to rectify this. I lost not only money, but also time. My loyalty to Sansa Fuze has been the only cohesive factor pulling me back to this forum and keeping me on the phone with tech support, so as to maintain a bond with a company I believe in.

Ian

Your title mentions looping through the loading graphic.  Let’s look at the problem insead of getting upset with each other.

I think drlucky might suspect something going on with the most recent transfer, on the new device.

All we have to do is rule this out, right?  Are you loading the exact same mp3 files as before?  Did they play OK on the first device?

I’d better take a moment to elaborate, in the interest of avoiding any confusion or misunderstanding.  The audio codec used can be any one of a variety of bit rates, fixed or variable, with any one of several ID3 tag formats, image sizes and resolution / color depth formats, or as we’ve seen, even an unsupported codec on occasion, like the multitude of WMA variants out there that can accidentally be selected when ripping.

By simply trying a proper file, it’s possible that your player may indeed work fine, saving you plenty of inconvenience and time.  Let’s look at your description:

The device I received as a replacement, after one week of moderate use, is now acting up in different ways.

1) after an overnight charge, the battery indicator all of the sudden showed critically low.

2) Screen shutoff while music plays

3) volume and navigation buttons unresponsive

I have experienced this “critically low” error.  Cycle the power on the Fuze+ and see if a normal indication is restored.  The screen shutoff is next- can you describe what’s happening?  The screen is supposed to time out after a selected interval, I have mine at the shortest (15 seconds), as it narrows the window when the touchpad is active too.

I’m more concerned with (3) in your list, in particular the volume buttons, as they’re a “hard input” rather than the touchpad.  What is the player doing when this occurs, is the music playing, with the screen blanked?  The very first touch of the volume is interpreted as a “wake up” signal, then the buttons should control volume. 

The latest firmware is 1.32.00.  If this is the installed version, it’s a little different; the firmware cannot be rolled back from this version currently.  If you have an earlier version on your device, go ahead and update your firmware to this version.  It’s quite stable on my end.

Murphy’s Law is one of the guiding principles im my daily life, so I understand all too well that it’s possible to have a different issue plague you on the second go-around.  It’s just important to look at the issue and rule out some variables just in case.  SanDisk is very good in the support arena, so I wouldn’t worry about that.  Let me know a little more detail if you have a moment.  When contacting support, you can let them know of the steps you’ve tried with the above issues.  This way, if it is indeed another device that’s needed, you can discern this much easier.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for the response and waiting for me to get back to you:

I have experienced this “critically low” error.  Cycle the power on the Fuze+ and see if a normal indication is restored. 

That’s just what I did. The device did not respond. I actually had to charge it again, as if it were completely empty. It hadn’t even started out empty before the overnight charge.

The screen shutoff is next- can you describe what’s happening?  The screen is supposed to time out after a selected interval, I have mine at the shortest (15 seconds), as it narrows the window when the touchpad is active too.

Yes. This happened the day after I received the device. I was listening to a file, when the screen shut off (not as it does when the normal, timed shutoff kicks it, but more suddenly). Then, none of the buttons were responsive, even the volume button, which was striking-- no amount of pressing or tapping could get the thing to respond, though the music was still playing. This was not the “hold” function either. I held the power button for 20 seconds to reset it.

Murphy’s Law is one of the guiding principles im my daily life, so I understand all too well that it’s possible to have a different issue plague you on the second go-around.  It’s just important to look at the issue and rule out some variables just in case.  SanDisk is very good in the support arena, so I wouldn’t worry about that. 

I agree with both of these statements, especially that Sansa is good in the support arena. That’s sort of why I’m hoping to return the device for one that works.