Fuze FAQ's (Please read before posting)

There are several common issues that users face when using the Fuze. In an effort to reduce the number of threads posting the same questions over and over again the following is a list of common problems and their fixes.

1. The computer won’t recognise the Fuze

The Fuze can connect to the computer in 2 different modes these are:

1. MSC: In this mode the computer will recognise the Fuze as a mass storage device, just like a flash or external drive. It should appear in Windows Explorer as the next available drive. When you have an microSD card in the Fuze it will appear as a second seperate drive.

2. MTP: In this mode Windows will recognise the Fuze as a “portable device”. Mac users cannot use MTP mode. MTP mode is required for DRM protected content and subscription services such as Napster and Rhapsody.

3. Auto : When the Fuze is set to this mode it will try and connect using MTP mode, if that fails it switches to MSC mode.

If you can’t see the Fuze try changing the mode of the Fuze, “Settings -> System Settings -> USB Mode”. The Auto mode can be a source of frustration, try setting the Fuze to one of the other modes.

2. I changed USB mode and it still doesn’t recognise the Fuze

There are two possible causes, your computer or your Fuze. Try connecting the Fuze to a different computer to narrow it down. If the Fuze works when connected to the other computer then it is more than likely your computer with the problem. If it doesn’t then you may have a faulty Fuze.

3. The Fuze has “locked up” (or is acting weird

You can give the Fuze a soft reset by holding the slider (on/off/hold switch) in the On position for 10-15 seconds.

4. When I connect the Fuze to the computer I can’t see all of my files

Files transfered to the internal memory of the Fuze in one USB mode cannot be seen when you have the Fuze connect in the other mode. To see those files change modes.

Files transfered to the microSD card can be seen no matter what mode they were transfered in and no matter what mode the Fuze is in when you connect it.

After you disconnect the Fuze it can see all files no matter what mode you used to transfer them.

5. The Fuze won’t charge when it is plugged into my USB port

If the USB port cannot provide enough power the Fuze will not be able to charge. This problem is most common for ports on the front of the PC. The USB ports at the back of the computer are usually directly on the motherboard and can supply more power. An alternative is to try a wall or car charger.

6. The Sansa updater won’t upgrade the firmware on my Fuze

You will have to update the firmware on your Fuze manually. There are several simple easy to follow steps:

1. There are 2 hardware revisions of the Fuze, to check your Fuze (Settings -> System Settings -> Info)
  2. While you are in settings, change the USB mode of the Fuze to MSC
  3. Connect the Fuze to your computer. It should how up as the next drive letter
  4. There is a sticky at the top of this forum titled “Sansa Fuze Firmware Update”
  5. While you are there read the manual update instructions.
  6. In that thread is links for 2 ZIP files “All regions”, download the one for your revision of Fuze to your computer
  7. Extract the BIN file to the root folder of the Fuze. The root folder is directly on the drive, not in any of the subfolders (like MUSIC, PODCASTS etc).
  8. Follow the rest of the firmware upgrade instructions.

7. There are 2 versions of Fuze? What’s the go? Is the v2 better?

As far as anyone outside SanDisk can tell, the only difference is the firmware you have to download. It is logical to assume that the hardware internally must have enough differences that they require different firmware updates. As far as the functionality of the Fuze is concerned, they are identical.

If you are willing to sacrifice your Fuze and another Fuze with a different revision to find out what those differences are, then let us know what you found. :slight_smile:

8. The sound on my Fuze is terrible

Initially the headphone jack is really tight, it might seem like you have pushed it all the way in but you probably haven’t. After some use it will loosen up a bit and you won’t have to push as hard (it’s either that or you’ve built up some muslces… not sure ;))

9. The video and audio start to get out of sync when I watch a video

This is a very common issue with all portable devices where watching video’s is not their primary purpose. This issue is not just the Fuze, iPods suffer from this as well. Yes it is possible (and advertised) that you can watch videos on the Fuze but consider that a bonus feature rather than a primary one.

10. The Fuze connector looks the same, can I plug it into acessories designed for the iPod?

Short answer = No. Long answer, it may look the same but the connector uses different pins for diffeent purposes. If you tried then you are at risk of damaging your Fuze, the accessory or both.

11. I am getting an error message to free 90mb of space but I have heaps of room.

The internal database that tracks all of the music on the Fuze has become corrupt and the Fuze can no longer refresh that database. Format the Fuze using the internal function (Settings -> System Settings -> Format -> Yes) and reload your music.

12. None of those problems are what’s wrong with my Fuze

As stated in the first line, these are just the most common. You are more than likely not an island though, search the forum for someone that has had the same problem and the solution provided.

13. I tried the solution(s) I found but it didn’t work for me

Your problem might be similar but not exactly the same or there is another factor that is stopping the solution from working for you. Start a new thread asking for help but consider the following when you do:

a. Choose a good heading

It helps, no really it does. Bad = “Help me help me, it won’t work”, Good = “After manually updating the firmware the Fuze won’t turn back on”

b. Be polite

We understand that it can be VERY frustrating when your shiny new toy is not working properly. Do not use this forum to vent your frustration. The people on this forum are here because we enjoy using our Fuze and want to help other get enjoyment out of theirs as well. If you come in here bagging the Fuze then expect some unpleasant responses.

c. We don’t like lazy people

If you have not read or tried the solutions to the common problems above then you will be probably be ignored. People that sit there with their mouth open waiting for the spoon will be given a lower priority. If you have searched and tried different solutions then tell us. Tell us what you tried and what happened when you did.

d. We are not mind readers

The flexability of modern computers means that the number of different combinations of hardware and software is simply staggering. The people on this forum are not being paid to help you (well most of us aren’t, there are some SanDisk employees here). It is a waste of our time to play 20 questions with you trying to figure out exactly what your problem is. Each and every option can have an effect on what your problem might be and the solution provided.

It is easier for us to ignore information that is not needed than to try and provide a solution when you do not give us enough information. Use the following list as a guildline as to what information you should include in your post:

1. What operating system (OS) are you using? (Windows, Mac, Linux, ???)
  2. What version of OS are you using? (Vista, XP, Ubuntu, Redhat, OSX 10.4, ???)
  3. What service pack do you have installed? Right click “My Computer” -> Properties -> General (Tab) -> System (Section)
  4. What version of firmware does your Fuze have? Settings -> System Settings -> Info
  5. What version of Windows Media Player do you have? Help -> About Windows Media Player
  6. What are the steps you are doing?
  7. What do you expect to happen?
  8. What is actually happening?
  9. Any error messages.

An example of a bad post:

I can’t get the Fuze to add new songs to the playlist

An example of a good post:

I have a list of songs in WMP 11 on Windows XP SP2, my Fuze is at firmware 1.01.15. I have a bunch of new songs that I added and can play in WMP, I have also added them to an existing playlist.

When I try and sync the list with the Fuze it seems the files are transfered over but the updated playlist isn’t. If I select the altered playlist on the Fuze it only displays the songs that were already in the playlist. If I check under Artist the new songs are there. If I create a new playlist with all of the songs they will all be there.

Does anyone know why the altered playlist is not transferred?

e. Let us know how it went

The people that help you do it because they enjoy helping others. Let us know that our efforts are appreciated. Don’t forget that this forum is not just for your benefit, if our suggestion fixes your problem PLEASE let us know. In the future other people will know what to try and fix the same problem.

If the suggestion given to you is only part of the solution and you worked out the rest yourself, it is vitally important for you to give feedback.

An example of a good feedback:

Response to your post: Try formating the Fuze and syncing again.

Feedback from you: I tried formating but the playlist still did not sync correctly. After I updated to the latest firmware, I formatted the Fuze, tried syncing and hey presto the altered playlist transfers with no problems.

U** PDATES: **If you notice any errors or emissions in the information above please send me a PM, I would like to keep this thread as clean as possible. I will credit you with pointing out my mistakes:

2009-01-14 ByteEnable: Linux can use the Fuze in MTP mode.

2009-01-14 Added information about the 2 different hardware versions.

2009-01-14 daytona955: Added information about ALL the files on the microSD card being accessable in both USB modes.

2009-01-15 GuyScharf: Added information about the headphone jack being tight.

2009-01-16 Dalaug234: Added information about the video/audio sync issue.

2009-01-16 Clarified the manual update process.

2009-01-16 Added the feedback section.

2009-01-20 Rearranged the wording of section 12d.

2009-01-20 daytona955: Added information about the iPod accessory compatablity issue.

2009-01-22 Added the 90mb free space section

BTW I live in Australia so the aboves dates are for when I edited the thread, we are 10 hours ahead of GMT, so you may be a day behind.

Message Edited by hazza on 01-23-2009 12:12 AM

Message Edited by hazza on 01-23-2009 12:12 AM

Thanks for the helpful post.T

Agreed… If more people would follow some basic rules we could aviod alot of problems and alot of wasted time when we try to help people. If we have to beg for information in order to properly diagnose issues then it takes longer than you want it to, and it makes life miserable for you. Some of us get on here and try to help and take time out of our day to help other people, so the more information would make a shorter time for us as well because it cuts down wait times. Way to go Hazza. Now Can we get this Stickied?

@conversionbox wrote:
Way to go Hazza. Now Can we get this Stickied?

I hope so, I have sent a PM to slotmonsta, they are the only admin I have seen on this forum. Are there are any mods that can change this to a sticky?

BTW To get around the “session time out” losing my entire post like yesterday I created the post in one tab, in another tab I continued to read the forum. When I was finished I clicked the “New message” in the tab I was using to browse the forum. I then copied and pasted from one tab to the other… I tell you, yesterday I felt like jumping down the network cable and kicking the cr*p out of the forum server.

Linux can operate in MTP mode.

@hazza wrote:

4. When I connect the Fuze to the computer I can’t see all of my files

Files transfered in one USB mode cannot be seen when you have the Fuze connect in the other mode. To see those files change modes. The Fuze can see all files no matter what mode you use to transfer them.

This is not true for files on the microSD card - they can be seen by the PC regardless of whether they were loaded via MTP or MSC, and regardless of the mode now being used to connect the Fuze.

I have sent several PM’s to some of the admins of the forum in an effort to get this changed to a sticky, no response yet.

This should give you something to hazza about.

@sansafix wrote:
This should give you something to hazza about.

Thank you Sansa Fix! If we could get everybody to read this it would be insanely helpful!

I have a slight problem with my sansa fuze…

My friends borrowed my sansa player and brought it back all screwed up, the disk used for scrolling through music is BARELY turning. Apparently someone spilled sprite on it and gave it back to me like this.

I can still turn the disk but only with 2 fingers on it. It will still browse on the screen so you can say that theres nothing wrong with it being able to play music and ect. Can anyone give me some tips on how to lubricate the disk without ruining it?

Plz n Thanks 

@skullpeng wrote:

I have a slight problem with my sansa fuze…

My friends borrowed my sansa player and brought it back all screwed up, the disk used for scrolling through music is BARELY turning. Apparently someone spilled sprite on it and gave it back to me like this.

I can still turn the disk but only with 2 fingers on it. It will still browse on the screen so you can say that theres nothing wrong with it being able to play music and ect. Can anyone give me some tips on how to lubricate the disk without ruining it?

Plz n Thanks 

I’m not sure why you thought it appropriate to post this here in the FAQ thread, but this has been discussed several times already.

Do a search using keywords such as ‘sticky wheel’ or ‘Fuze scroll wheel’ or ‘cleaning scroll wheel’ and you should find some answers.

Here’s one to get you started.

about number 9 the synch in the videos: i did’nt fin your awnser very helpful at all. Isn’t it possible for sandisk to make a better version of SMC? one that works? how is it possible that they say it plays videos and does not???

@ewany2 wrote:
about number 9 the synch in the videos: i did’nt fin your awnser very helpful at all. Isn’t it possible for sandisk to make a better version of SMC? one that works? how is it possible that they say it plays videos and does not???

you can use rhapsody to convert videos. it does not have the audio vidio sync isues.

A question that seems to come up often is, how to get album art on the Fuze?  Is there a FAQ answer for this?  It would be useful to have the Fuze’s requirements spelled out:

1. Size of the image (width x height)?

2. In MP3 tag, and/or file?

3. If file, how should it be named?  Where should it be placed?  What formats are allowed?

Thanks.

@promisedplanet wrote:

A question that seems to come up often is, how to get album art on the Fuze?  Is there a FAQ answer for this?  It would be useful to have the Fuze’s requirements spelled out:

1. Size of the image (width x height)?
  1. In MP3 tag, and/or file?
  1. If file, how should it be named?  Where should it be placed?  What formats are allowed?

Thanks.

I’ll second that. 

I just added album art to a few of my albums and it took me a while to figure it all out.  Why it would show up in Media Monkey and MP3tag, but not on the fuze had me really stumped for a while.

@byteenable wrote:
Linux can operate in MTP mode.

If this is true, how do you get it to work?  Mine won’t mount on my system (or at least won’t automount) if it’s in MTP mode, but will in MSC mode.

Search on “linux” and “mtp” in this forum.  This has been discussed several times.

I’m not sure how to make a new thread but, I do need help.

I have the Sansa Fuze 8G and when i plug it into the computer it says connected but it says battery low and will not charge.

what should i do?

I’m not sure whether the Fuze requires a high-power USB port.  Some computers have a mix of low- and high-power USB ports; the ports on the back of the computer are high-power.

If you have a wall charger (AC adapter), you might also want to try that.

tianna_r wrote:

I’m not sure how to make a new thread but . . .

In the upper left of the page listing the threads, directly under the Search box, click on the words New Message. :wink: