8GB Micro SD HELP!

I am having serious problems concerning a 8GB microsd class 2 and now a fuze (v2)

I am having serious problems concerning a 8GB microsd class 2 and now a fuze (v2).

I had a clip+ and it would give me the same problems with the microsd. I tried 3 different clip’s (all new in box) and all would give me the same problem, so I bought a fuze (v2) from craigslist and the problem remains the same. I had wondered if it was the sd card itself but highly doubted it because the same sd card worked perfect with my blackberry,g1 and other phone. I recently bought a new sd card, and the problem persists.

The problem is this : Whenever I load it into the player, it takes a long time to load and under the system settings, it lists the sd card as 0MB in size. Whenever I try to load music on it via WMP it fails and states that the disc is empty, however, when I load up the sd card via a sdcard reader, I can sync just perfectly.

I have no idea what the problem may be, rockbox reads the card just fine, but the stock firmware fails to. I have updated the firmware on both players and still the same problem.

What can it be?

Again , I tried it on 3 different, still in box new, Clip+ players…and on an use Fuze (v2)

and on a new 8gb sd

Have you tried formatting the card using the SD card formatting utility?

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

I suggest that you make sure the player’s USB mode  is set to  MSC when transferring songs to the card in the player. Putting songs on card memory in MTP mode can lead to problems. I suggest that you avoid MTP mode unless you are using protected music.

Yes, I have tried that…and stil the same problem…I am starting to think the sansa fuze refuses to get along with a micrsosd that is not by sandisk

Other brands of cards will work in the Fuze as long as they are high quality. I use Sandisk and another brand of card in my Clip+ and Fuze without problems. I did have some problems though when using a card with the players in mtp mode. I buy only high quality brands of cards and always buy them new in sealed retail packaging from a trustworthy dealer. There are some places that sell fake, defective, or used and worn out cards(yes, flash memory cards can wear out with use. Older 2 bit per cell cards might be good for 10,000 or more writes, but newer 3 bit per cell cards might wear out with 5,000 or fewer writes. I wonder how fast 4 bit per cell cards wear out)

well I normally buy Adata or Kingsinton brand.Both of wich have worked fine for me on other devices

Are you inserting the card when the player is off? Inserting or removing a card when the player is on may cause problems.

@smartinez281 wrote:

well I normally buy Adata or Kingsinton brand.Both of wich have worked fine for me on other devices

Nuthin’ beats a SanDisk card in a SanDisk device. :wink:

But all cards should be compatible. That’s the point of having industry standards. The Fuze should not be rejecting any card that adheres to the microSD standard.

Except it doesn’t work if you use a Class 6 SanDisk micro SDHC card.

I have bought one of these, tried to use it with the Fuze and after some correspondence and try&error we figured out that - even the SanDisk - class 6 micro SDHC cards keep my Sansa Fuze freezing everytime I insert them into the player.

Afterwards I bought another 8GB microSDHC, but class 2. It’s working now without problems. Anyways it would be nice to have known that BEFORE I  bought a class 6 card, even better this would get fixed with a firmware-update.

(No, the class 6 card isn’t defect, it’s working without any problems in my cellphone and I also checked it with several programs)

@cheesey wrote:

I have bought one of these, tried to use it with the Fuze and after some correspondence and try&error we figured out that - even the SanDisk - class 6 micro SDHC cards keep my Sansa Fuze freezing everytime I insert them into the player.

Afterwards I bought another 8GB microSDHC, but class 2. It’s working now without problems. Anyways it would be nice to have known that BEFORE I  bought a class 6 card, even better this would get fixed with a firmware-update.

(No, the class 6 card isn’t defect, it’s working without any problems in my cellphone and I also checked it with several programs)

Doubtful that there’ll be any more fuze firmware updates.  It’s more than two years old and two newer players have been released since, so any firmware updates will most likely be for those players.

Generally, a class 2 card is good enough for music players and the higher classes are meant for cameras and camcorders.  From what I understand, a higher class card will only make a difference when the card is being writing to and little to no difference during playback.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/sansa-freezes-when-memory-card-is-inserted/m-p/208256#M46197

@cheesey wrote:

The fuze does work with class 6 cards.  I just popped in my sandisk 4gb mobile ultra class 6 card into my fuze and it works just fine.  Has FLAC and mp3 files on it.  It also works on my cellphone too.  Don’t know why yours didn’t.   Strange.

I thought Mobile Ultra comes in Class 4 only. Apologies for my wrong information above

Mobile Ultra

@jamieson wrote:

I thought Mobile Ultra comes in Class 4 only. Apologies for my wrong information above

Mobile Ultra

I purchased the card a couple of years ago from Amazon for my cellphone.  It looks like the 4gb one has been discontinued, with only a few that are still left out there to be sold.  I certainly didn’t paid what the asking for price is now at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Mobile-microSDHC-SDSDQY-4096-Packaging/dp/B001QLEW5Q

I guess they have indeed discontinued that card. Probably they were thinking that it will just be an overkill to use a class 6 card with Mp3 players or mobile phones. :smiley:

For anyone interested, here’s the read/write results of the Sandisk 4gb mobile ultra class 6 card and a Sandisk class 2 card.  I used H2testw and put the card into a reader/writer and  not a sansa player.

class 6 card

Writing speed: 15.3 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.3 MByte/s

class 2 card

Writing speed: 6.73 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.3 MByte/s

The write speed of the class 2 card is far above the required minimum standard and quite good, in my opinion.  There’s no noticeable difference in playback performance for music nor short video that I can tell.  Only when media is being transfered to the card with a reader/writer is there a difference, of course.

@mags1230 wrote:

For anyone interested, here’s the read/write results of the Sandisk 4gb mobile ultra class 6 card and a Sandisk class 2 card . . .

Good to know. Thanks for testing that. As your results prove, there’s no reason why one should buy a faster, or higher Class card for use in their player unless one is really pressed for time when _ loading _ the card. Playback speed seems unaffected.

That’s weird, I didn’t know anyone was having trouble with class 6 vs. class 2 micro SDHC cards in the Fuze.  Apparently some Fuzes don’t like particular brands of cards.

I bought three Ritek 8 GB, Class 6 micro SDHC cards last fall, one for each Fuze plus one for general use.  Specifically, they’re model RDMICSDHC8G-LIG-2.

At about $17 each, they were a pretty good deal.  They’ve actually dropped in price by about $2 since I bought mine.  You can pay more for a Class 2 SDHC card of the same capacity.  So I didn’t see any reason to save $1 or $2 for a significantly slower card.  I’ve been glad I got class 6 when I had to copy a lot of data to or from the cards.

That said, speeds of “class 6” cards seem to vary a lot.  I’m running H2testw on one of my 8 GB Ritek cards now, and writing speed is only about 7 MB/s.  That exceeds the minimum requirement for class 6 rating (6 MB/s), but is nowhere near as good as the results posted above.  However, I may get different results with a freshly formatted card, or with some other file system beside NTFS.

All three of my Ritek 8 GB microSDHC cards have been absolutely trouble-free.  Both of my 4 GB Fuzes (v2’s) recognize the cards, so I have nearly 12 GB storage total, per Fuze.

@confuzeduser wrote:

That said, speeds of “class 6” cards seem to vary a lot.  I’m running H2testw on one of my 8 GB Ritek cards now, and writing speed is only about 7 MB/s.  That exceeds the minimum requirement for class 6 rating (6 MB/s), but is nowhere near as good as the results posted above.  However, I may get different results with a freshly formatted card, or with some other file system beside NTFS.

For my test, I used a formatted card to get the most accurate results.  And it was formatted FAT32.   Also, the time it took to run the test on the class 6 card was less than 8 minutes. 

As you seem to be aware, there’s only a minimum writing speed requirement since it’s expected that different manufacturers will produce cards that have various writing speeds.

Yes, formatting made a very big difference!

I used the official SD formatting utility to change my Ritek 8 GB SDHC card to FAT32, then ran H2testw again.

This time around, write speed was 10.9 MB/s, and read came in at 19.8 MB/s.

It’s possible that the micro-to-standard SD adapter I am using has some effect on performance, but it’s unavoidable.  I don’t have a microSD slot on my desktop computer, or a direct micro-to-USB adapter.  My card reader/writer is a Rosewill RSD-CR106.

On a related note: The micro-to-standard SD adapter sleeves are complete rubbish, or at least Ritek’s are.  I’ve had to RMA mine twice. They keep cracking, without even being used much.

Fortunately, it’s easy to return the adapter sleeve, because it fits in a 1st class letter (42¢ “shipping”).  Ritek is really fast sending out the new adapter sleeves, so I haven’t been without one for more than a week or so.