windows media player 11 crashes when i plug in sansa fuze+

Hi -

I’m excited about my new Sansa Fuze+ but WMP 11 crashes (a) when it’s already running and i plug in the Fuze+; or (b) WMP is NOT running, I plug in the Fuze+ and select ‘open with windows media player’ from the three options that appear (other options are open in explorer or do nothing); or (c) I have the Fuze+ plugged in and then start up WMP. Without the Fuze+ plugged in, WMP 11 starts up fine (though I don’t have any need for it outside of managing Fuze+ playlists). I found a thread outside this forum that recommended deleting the DRM folder from C:\docs and settings\all users. That took some gymnastics as it’s a hidden system folder but i was successful yet the problem (WMP crashing) remained. Then I completely removed and re-installed WMP and I’m back where i started. Another user in this forum posted a helpful how-to on how to create a playlist using Explorer; that works, but I prefer the ease of use of WMP over that option. I’d be grateful for any help with this issue.

PS my OS is Win XP SP3

Is WiMP 11 actually crashing, or is the application busy?  Have alook at the device while the interface appears “frozen”.  Are you still seeing a “reading” display on the device?  If data transfer is showing on the Fuze’s display, it’s possible that WiMP 11 is busy reading the device.

With a large database, WiMP12 and Windows 7 give me an occasional “Not Responding” message at the top of the screen.  The Sansa tells me otherwise, with read / write messages active on the display.  Using the Sansa e200, with its slightly slower read time, this is more apparent than with the Fuze+.

Bob  :wink:

Or you could use some other program to do the same thing. Here’s a small list of a few programs I’ve used (or at least heard of): MediaMonkey, Foobar2000, Winamp, Real Player (I’ve created playlists with this one before), Rhapsody, and aTunes (not to be confused tiwh iTunes)

Also,

@neutron_bob wrote:

Is WiMP 11 actually crashing, or is the application busy?  Have alook at the device while the interface appears “frozen”.  Are you still seeing a “reading” display on the device?  If data transfer is showing on the Fuze’s display, it’s possible that WiMP 11 is busy reading the device.

With a large database, WiMP12 and Windows 7 give me an occasional “Not Responding” message at the top of the screen.  The Sansa tells me otherwise, with read / write messages active on the display.  Using the Sansa e200, with its slightly slower read time, this is more apparent than with the Fuze+.

Bob  :wink:

This has happened several times with me while using RealPlayer. Plug your deice in, with WMP open, and wait and see if anything happens.