Winamp and playlists

Does anyone here use Winamp to manage their playlists and trransfer music to their Sansa Clip? It should be easy, but I’m finding it quite difficult. Currently I perform the following steps:

Add one or more mp3 files to my library in Winamp.

Right click on a mp3 in Winamp and “Send to” my Sansa clip.

However at this point I then have to find the song on the Sansa clip view in winamp and the right click and send it to a specific playlist. Sometimes I just can’t find it in the Sansa clip view in Winamp and the whole process becomes very tedious.

Anyone got any tips or explanation of how they do this? I would like to try and stay with Winamp if possible.

Piece of cake!

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Adding-Playlists/m-p/55917#M40804

The instructions don’t make any sense:

1. Open a Windows Explorer pane with your player’s MUSIC folder in it ( **NOT ** your music folder/library  on your computer! ).
  2. Drag’n’drop the files you want on the playlist from the Explorer window to the large playlist pane in Winamp.

…well I don’t have any files on my player. I want to create playlists and then add my music to the music player.  If the music was already on the player then half the benefit of playlists is already lost.

First things first . . .

Step 1. Transfer song files to player.

Step 2. Follow directions in linked-to post to create playlist(s) from said files on player.

Step 3. Do not reverse Steps 1 & 2. You’re trying to do it

This method causes an error in Winamp. If I try and play an mp3 from the device in Winamp it throws up a dialog saying ‘Cannot open file’ - and then plays the file any way. But it’s not really acceptable to have this error displayed ervery time I playa  song from the connected device Sansa Clip+.

It also has the problem that Winamp doesn’t show the playlist or files until you disconnect and reconnect the device.

I don’t know what to tell you on that. It works perfectly fine for me (and others).

A further problem with this method is that you’re left with a playlist in Winamp which contains songs which are located on the device (this happens when you save the playlist in Winamp onto Sansa Clip). Consequently, when you eject the device and try and play the playlist that appears in Winamp - none of the songs will play!

Surely there is a proper way to manage playlists on Sansa Clip using Winamp?

@fofx wrote:

A further problem with this method is that you’re left with a playlist in Winamp which contains songs which are located on the device (this happens when you save the playlist in Winamp onto Sansa Clip). Consequently, when you eject the device and try and play the playlist that appears in Winamp - none of the songs will play!

Surely there is a proper way to manage playlists on Sansa Clip using Winamp?

Of course; the path is different. If you want to manage playlists on both your Clip and computer, you will need to create 2 different [versions] of each playlist (named differently); one where the path is to the songs on your Clip and the other pointing to your songs stored on your computer.

@fofx wrote:

Of course; the path is different. If you want to manage playlists on both your Clip and computer, you will need to create 2 different [versions] of each playlist (named differently); one where the path is to the songs on your Clip and the other pointing to your songs stored on your computer.

The latter part of this is a problem I’ve been having for some months now.

Tranferred files using winamp don’t show up in the interface for the device.

If you have a newly transferred file and want to put it in a playlist,… the only way seems to disconnect and re-connect…, after which the file is visible to work apon.

An inconvenient work around thus,… made 10x more inconvenient by the excruciatingly long time the clip insists apon to refresh its media even for one added song!

(I love the clip,… but something really has to be done about the frequency and length of refreshing media…:confounded: )

This change just began about 6 months ago,… I suspect its something to do with winamp.

Does anyone have any ideas on this??? Thanx.

@gauguin wrote:

The latter part of this is a problem I’ve been having for some months now.

Tranferred files using winamp don’t show up in the interface for the device.

If you have a newly transferred file and want to put it in a playlist,… the only way seems to disconnect and re-connect…, after which the file is visible to work apon.

An inconvenient work around thus,… made 10x more inconvenient by the excruciatingly long time the clip insists apon to refresh its media even for one added song!

(I love the clip,… but something really has to be done about the frequency and length of refreshing media…:confounded: )

This change just began about 6 months ago,… I suspect its something to do with winamp.

Does anyone have any ideas on this??? Thanx.

Provided you have Winamp set to “watch” the Music folder on your player as the default (instead of your computer’s Music folder, you can just go to Media Library Preferences > Local Media > Watch Folders tab and click the Rescan Now button. This will add the newly transferred track(s) to Winamp’s library and make it ‘visible’ to Winamp.

Hi Tapeworm,…thanks again for the quick response.

I should have thought of that,… seems logical enough.

So,…I added the 2 sansa drive letters to winamps scan,…scanned the lot,… and oddly enough, it still didn,t /doesnt work.

If you click under the drive you’ve transferred to on ‘‘tranfers 100%’’ you’ll be shown what you’ve just transferred on a seperate pane

but you can’t drag it or get a right click menu.

I’ve found that closing and re-opening Winamp is in any case a faster solution than disconnecting and re-connecting.

… but that seems like a pretty 20th c way of doing things,… can’t be right.:laughing:

I seem to remember transferring things and just seeing them appear under ‘‘disc F’’

…Maybe I just dreamt that.