Will viruses on pc transfer to my sansa fuze?

I had a virus on my pc a while back. It started with a bad mp3 file in my iTunes folder. I was able to get rid of the file but I know sometimes viruses can infect other files. Is it possible if other files have been infected that the virus can destory my sansa?

Yes, it could have corrupted other files, but . . .

No, I don’t think it would affect the operating system or firmware of your player.

Still, you may want to format it (the player) which will erase everything and give you a clean slate from which to start over. Run ChkDsk to look for & fix corrupted files before loading it back up again.

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 09-03-2009 05:59 PM

You might have an infected file on your Sansa, but it won’t hurt it. Viruses just don’t destroy every electronic device they touch, they have to be coded in a way the device understands to have any effect. I’ve never heard of a virus written for whatever processor is in the Fuze.

But if you use your Fuze with more than one computer, you could transfer the file to another PC and infect that one.

So it doesn’t matter what kind of virus it was? It was an Trojan.Brisv.A!inf

@oreomon wrote:

Ahhh . . . well, you shoulda used protection:

haha I don’t think stretching a condom over my pc will protect it. I’ll take that as a no then. Thanks everyone

Message Edited by oreomon on 09-03-2009 08:18 PM

@oreomon wrote:
haha I don’t think stretching a condom over my pc will protect it. I’ll take that as a no then. Thanks everyone

I don’t know about that . . .

Don that hood before you get caught, but good!

:stuck_out_tongue:

hahaha how long did it take to find that one? :smileyvery-happy:

@oreomon wrote:

Viruses and trojans are different things.Neither of them is something you might want to have on your computer, though.  Oh well, but they are 2-in-1 packs of trojan-virus, virus which act like trojans or trojans which replicate like a virus, and so on. It was just to clarify.

And they are windows-only. The worst thing they can do to your fuze is corrupt your music files. And if the virus copies itself to thefuze, and then you put it on a windows machine, that machine could be infected, too.  The best thing you can do is scan your fuze for viruses before and after connecting it to a windows computer, or even install in your fuze a portable antivirus, like clam-win from portableapps or something similar.

Oh, I forgot the ultimate and easiest solution for your problem: instead of using the most insecure OS of the world, use a Real OS. Any *nix flavour would do the job.And youwill onlremember what a virus or antivirus was only when hearing people complaining about them :slight_smile:

Call me a super noob but I lost you about the Real OS stuff. And I scanned my computer and had a trojan on an old maplestory file but no music files. I already added clamwin to my sansa but I’m a bit confused. If I connect it to another computer using my usb how do I run it and scan for viruses?

The “Real OS” comment was a jab at Windows and its seemingly never-ending security issues. He’s saying if you use Linux or one of cousins, you’d never have to worry about viruses again. But I don’t know about that. Sure, you don’t hear about viruses sweeping through the *nix community, but to say that it will never happen seems excessively optimistic.

You’re worrying way too much.

The key is to get a good virus program for your computer.  If you can’t afford to buy one, get the Free AVG.

Just scan everything on your computer before it goes to the Sansa. Then keep the Sansa in MSC mode (check Settings/USB Mode) so that if you connect to someone else’s computer, their Windows Media Player doesn’t start messing with the Sansa via MTP mode, which communicates with Windows Media Player.

Viruses attack operating systems: Windows. If a virus were to get onto the Sansa, the Sansa’s operating system isn’t Windows.

Sure, if you had a virus file, you could copy it onto the Sansa like any other file. I suppose it is possible that if you were using the Sansa as a flash drive, just to carry data around–not the mp3 files that you have already virus-checked on your computer–that a file you have on the Sansa might get onto another computer.

But when it’s in MSC mode, you would have to drag-and-drop that nasty file to the next computer manually. I don’t think you are that kind of person. 

@c1u31355 wrote:

But when it’s in MSC mode, you would have to drag-and-drop that nasty file to the next computer manually. I don’t think you are that kind of person. 

Don’t you know the legendary “autorun feature” of windows?

A lot of viruses expand thru computers using it: they copy themselves to all removable devices, for example, virus.exe. Then, they copy a ico file and a file named Autorun.inf to that drive, which tells windows to run the virus.exe immediately after the drive is connected. And most windows (still) have the “autorun feature” activated by default. I’ve made a little collection of this kind of viruses just plugging my usb key into classmates’ and university’s computers, they are all infested. And it’s annoying because the overwrited the autorun.if from my portableapps…

In MTP I don’t know what would happen.

For the guy asking how to run the portable clamwin from the fuze: just double click on it’s exe. I don’t think it’s that difficult.

And yes, when I said Real OS, i meant one of the following: [GNU][Plan9]/[kOpenSolaris][kFreeBSD][Linux] , [Open]Solaris,  [Free][Net]BSD, MacOSXand all those secure and efficient guys out there :).

And about their never-availability of viruses: it’s pretty easy to write a virus for them, for example, in python. But the sytem architectures makes the virus have a lot less power than in windows platforms, because: a) it needs execution permissions to be given,or a insecure desktop environment, plus a very stupid user[a species very common in win32 world, not so common in *nix world, but it exists, though], b) the virus will have no permission to do anything system-wide, it would only be able to touch the user’s  files and c) *nix users have at  least one official softwarerepository from where to download almost any software you’ll ever need (even if your are rather geeky, which is probable, if you are running a *nix) and therefore do not need to be downloading software from not-so-trusty sites on the net, reducing the infection vulnerability a lot. Ah, and there isn’t internet explorer;). Well, this subject is widely discused in a lot of places, so if anyoneis willing to continue on the viruses-on-unix subject, just pm me instead of contamining this post, not as I’ve just done xD.

[Don’t you know the legendary “autorun feature” of windows?

A lot of viruses expand thru computers using it: they copy themselves to all removable devices, for example, virus.exe. Then, they copy a ico file and a file named Autorun.inf to that drive, which tells windows to run the virus.exe immediately after the drive is connected. And most windows (still) have the “autorun feature” activated by default. I’ve made a little collection of this kind of viruses just plugging my usb key into classmates’ and university’s computers, they are all infested. And it’s annoying because the overwrited the autorun.if from my portableapps…]

Ah, very true. I immediately disable Autorun on everything I plug in, so I hadn’t thought of that. But still, if everything the original poster puts on the Sansa is mp3s that have been scanned first,  it’s unlikely one of those Autorun viruses is going to appear. 

okay I get you guys. Thanks for the advice. You guys were so much help!

I have the same problem as you. How did you get rid of the virus? I was suggested to use a software from this top ten, but I don’t really know what should I do. Could you give me an advice about what should I do?