Will the latest firmware harm my player?

Many have got many sorts of problems after updating to the latest firmware.Will it harm my player too?

Every firmware has bugs that have to be dealt with, and some have had larger issues but those are often resolvable. Downloading a new update will not hurt your player. If you do have issues just come back and ask. And Just FYI you wont be on the firmware you are about to download very long (If you keep up to date) because a new one is due out before the end of March.

@sr_rox wrote:

Many have got many sorts of problems after updating to the latest firmware.Will it harm my player too?

That’s hard to say. I’m not having any trouble with mine, and I updated it the day it became available. Even the “soft reset” you see us recommend people sometimes, I’ve had to do maybe 5 times total since the beginning of September when I bought my Fuze. So either I’m lucky, or I’m just not messing anything up, or the digital music gods really like me:smiley:

I, too, have been using the latest firmware since it came out. So far, I’ve yet to see any of these bugs that are mentioned in the post.

@pikidalto wrote:
I, too, have been using the latest firmware since it came out. So far, I’ve yet to see any of these bugs that are mentioned in the post.

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see any bugs mentions in the original post at all. Just a vague reference to ‘many’.

@sr_rox wrote:

SR -

Maybe you could elaborate on what & where ‘all these bugs’ are? More than half of ‘reported’ bugs usually wind up being unfamiliarity or misunderstanding on the part of the user, or they simply haven’t updated to the firmware that addresses the issue. But yes, sometimes fixing 1 problem creates another un-related and un-foreseen one. Kinda like taking drugs for some health malady. Yeah, the pill fixes what it’s supposed to, but the side-effects create another problem that requires yet another pill. Pretty soon, you & your pharmacist are on a 1st-name basis. :wink:

@pikidalto wrote:

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see any bugs mentioned in the original post at all. Just a vague reference to ‘many’.

@sr_rox wrote:

SR -

Maybe you could elaborate on what & where ‘all these bugs’ are? More than half of ‘reported’ bugs usually wind up being unfamiliarity or misunderstanding on the part of the user, or they simply haven’t updated to the firmware that addresses the issue. But yes, sometimes fixing 1 problem creates another un-related and un-foreseen one. Kinda like taking drugs for some health malady. Yeah, the pill fixes what it’s supposed to, but the side-effects create another problem that requires yet another pill. Pretty soon, you & your pharmacist are on a 1st-name basis. :wink:

If you look at the firmware post, you will see at the end of the original post:

@slotmonsta wrote:

Known Issues
• It takes a long time (2+ min) to delete song if device has lots of content
• There is a pause (less than 1 second) when selecting “Play All” – transition not smooth
• Rating info is lost following database refresh on songs loaded in microSD
• With Rhapsody channels content, press and hold to add Artist to GoList may not work.  Work around is navigate to Album level to add entire albums from one Artist

@pikidalto wrote:

If you look at the firmware post, you will see at the end of the original post:

@slotmonsta wrote:

Known Issues
• It takes a long time (2+ min) to delete song if device has lots of content
• There is a pause (less than 1 second) when selecting “Play All” – transition not smooth
• Rating info is lost following database refresh on songs loaded in microSD
• With Rhapsody channels content, press and hold to add Artist to GoList may not work.  Work around is navigate to Album level to add entire albums from one Artist

Ahh, but that’s a horse of a different color! The original post of this thread does not mention any bugs or make reference to the firmware or any other thread.

Besides, I wouldn’t consider these ‘known issues’ as ‘many bugs’ and there’s no proof the latest firmware update caused them. Some could be leftovers that couldn’t be fixed in time from the last update.

But, in answer to the OP’s question (in this thread). . . No, it won’t harm your player, and you can always back-date or revert to a previous firmware version if for some reason you don’t like something about it.

I’ve never had any issues with updates before, and I’ve never had to to reset mine since I bought it which was somewhere in the summer of 2008. Am I the only one?

My wife and I have a 4gb Fuze and a 8gb unit and when the latest firmware came out( v01.01.22A ) I updated both units. Something I don’t normally do… I passed on the v01.01.15A verison.  Like others said it’s not going to harm your Fuze… If you don’t like it reinstall the earlier version of your choice…  Just do it manually!  Bugs, what I have seen with the v01.01.22A version is with the sleep timer function. It works fine if you don’t cancel it. If you cancel the sleep timer by re setting back to 00 time it will still shut off your fuze, not a big deal… The other thing I seen that i don’t think is a bug is when your watching a video and pause it you can turn the volume up with out it showing your adjusting it on the display so when you start to play the video again you could get blown out with a high volume level. Again I don’t consider this a bug just a small inconvenience…  I don’t rip my music to to anything but mpg3’s so I have not seen some of the other issues others have mentioned… I agree with the other posters that most are just not familiar with the functions and get called bugs… I was lucky enough to acquire a second 8GB Fuze from my sister that just didn’t use it. It has the org. v01.01.11A firmware in it… I may use it for AB-ing the two firmware versions for sound quality…  In any case good luck and enjoy your Fuze! It’s a amazing unit!  

@sr_rox wrote:

Sansa has a quality software engineering program,  new releases of firmware are tested prior to release.  Every effort has been made to make sure it doesn’t cause harm to your player   ^_^    And if there is any harm due to the firmware, Sansa would stand behind it.

However, be sure to charge up your Fuze prior to updating, and be sure to follow the instructions.

THANKS A LOT PEOPLE!!!   I got the answer I needed.Guess ill try out the latest firmware…

Thanks again,

SR

TOTAL BULL niko_sama!!!

A couple of months ago I updated (or tried to) the firmware for my m260 and it it has not work since, I tried all possible solutions mentioned in these and other forums to no avail, it only displays “finalizing update” then the display goes “black”, plus it’s not recognize by the PC.

To add insult to injury Sandisk basically told me “too bad, your player is out of warranty and up yours”…well people in Sandisk: :angry:

So Bull !!! and as many :robotmad:as they can handle.

Edited post, not really what it meant, maybe try anger management?  Keep the language clean.

µsansa

Message Edited by microsansa on 06-22-2009 05:17 PM

Anger management editor?

How about returning my $240 (that’s what it costed then) for screwing my player from your site?

Maybe if you try losing the 'tude & calmly explaining your problem in a new thread in the Sansa m200 board, and not tack on to the back of a thread started 2 years ago like you did here, you just might get some help.

That is of course, if you want help.

Maybe if you try losing the 'tude & calmly explaining your problem in a new thread in the Sansa m200 board, and not tack on to the back of a thread started 2 years ago like you did here, you just might get some help.

That is of course, if you want help.