WAV files does not show Album or Artist

I’m new to the Sansa community, I tried to put some WAV files into the Clip+ with seperate folders, but in the Clip it does not show Album or Artist and they are under Unknown, is there a way I can fix it? (there are tags when I play it on itunes and the ipod, its just “unknown” on the Sansa)

THanks!

I don’t believe that WAV files are tagable and that’s why you don’t see the artist or album information.  I would recommend encoding the WAV files you want on your Clip+ to a lossless format like FLAC.  You can tag FLAC files, so you’ll be able to add the artist and album info that you want.

whats the easiest way to enconde FLAC on a mac?

I agree that FLAC makes sense (I don’t know Mac encoders) – that said, have you tried the folder browsing feature in the clip? If you have your files in artist/album folders, you can still browse them that way via the folder view, which isn’t dependent on tags…

yep they’re in their own folder but it didnt show in the browser on the clip, they got moved to unknown

Vic225 wrote:
yep they’re in their own folder but it didnt show in the browser on the clip, they got moved to unknown

This means that you dont have proper Metadata with the file. This can be done by tagging the files in a program like Mp3tag (I dont know how it works with WAV files) or MediaMonkey. If you add Artist, Title, and Album Info to the file, and then add it to the player again, it should show up in the right place. 

I don’t use macs, but I’m sure if you did an internet search on FLAC for Macs, you would find some free programs that can encode to FLAC on Macs.  I know that there are a lot of Mac users who use FLAC.

richter wrote:
I don’t use macs, but I’m sure if you did an internet search on FLAC for Macs, you would find some free programs that can encode to FLAC on Macs.  I know that there are a lot of Mac users who use FLAC.

I bet you’d find that most Mac users used ALAC, not FLAC. So the answer here would be for the OP to use ALAC for his iPod, and find a Mac-compatible program that could transcode ALAC to FLAC. :wink:

this sounds really complicated…

Vic225 wrote:
this sounds really complicated…

It can get that way quickly. I personally would never use the huge WAV files on my portable player, or for that matter FLACs either. You gotta have outstanding headphones and “golden ears” to really notice the difference between a lossless and _ well-encoded _ lossy file. What are you ripping your CD’s with?

@vic225 wrote:

Just to be sure, did you go to the folder browsing view? ie:

Music > Folders – rather than – Music > Artists

I would expect that in Music > Folders you should then see folder and file names, rather than tags – (your files do have track names as the file names?)

i did, but it went to the “unknown” folder…

well actually… I’m using UM3Xand Monster turbine, and I’m a musician with a pretty good ear…

Vic225 wrote:
well actually… I’m using UM3Xand Monster turbine, and I’m a musician with a pretty good ear…

All right then…since we have established that you can hear the difference between lossless and lossy, next thing is to come up with a Mac-compatible CD-ripping/transcoding program. And the winner appears to be…Max . If I read correctly, you should be able to convert your WAV files to FLAC, which will have tags your Sansa can read, and you will save some space over WAV without losing any audio information. I can’t go any farther with it than that, because I don’t have a Mac…but good luck! :smileyvery-happy:

The “Unknown” folder problem has been discussed in a previous thread here, about ghosting.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&thread.id=1691

Vic225 … Not sure why you are using WAV files. The Mac’s version of the same thing is AIFF. All the software I’ve seen for the Mac will gladly deal with AIFF files. Garage Band will export “uncompressed” files as AIFF. I do believe you can export files with Audacity (1.3.9 Beta) to FLAC. Glad I don’t have keen hearing (smiles) the way you do. I am more than content to use iTunes AAC HE. Then again, I grew up with AM radio and a record changer.

But I thought Sansa does not read AIFF files?

OK, slow down. No, the Sansa does not play AIFF. Or ALAC. 

.wav files do not have metadata (tags), so they go to Unknown. 

If you convert .wav to FLAC, then you can tag them. 

You need to find a Mac program to convert .wav to .flac.  Or a CD ripping program that just goes directly to .flac.

Here’s one. 

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

But be careful when you install it, because unless you’re careful it will also install a bunch of other “trialware” programs and then start nagging you to pay for them. The basic Switch program is free. 

Message Edited by whatchamacallit on 12-05-2009 10:38 AM

whatchamacallit wrote:

OK, slow down. No, the Sansa does not play AIFF. Or ALAC. 

.wav files do not have metadata (tags), so they go to Unknown. 

If you convert .wav to FLAC, then you can tag them. 

You need to find a Mac program to convert .wav to .flac.  Or a CD ripping program that just goes directly to .flac.

Already found…http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=1887#M1887

I’m still missing something – if the Clip+ can play WAV files (I’ve never tried, nor looked into whether WAV is supported) – but assuming that WAV is supported – then shouldn’t it be easy enough to browse via the “folder” view, and not have this “unknown” problem?

Okay, here’s the deal. iTunes will hold the album and artist info in the WAV format. For some reason, the Clip+ can’t read it. If a person is going to use iTunes to manage music, which I suggest, then start with AIFF files. Then convert them to whatever pleases your ears. I believe you will have to purchase the Switch program to use all of the options once the free trial is over. Max is perhaps a better “free” choice. Also, Audacity 1.3.10 was just released this month. While it will only handle one file at a time, it will output a very decent array of file formats. As free, open source, programs go, it is excellent.

Message Edited by wplj42 on 12-06-2009 01:52 PM