Volume levels with different firmware

I have recently reload firmware version 17 and have noticed the volume levels are much higher than with later updates. I remember that previous posts mention some kind of volume limiting creeping into later updates as a safety factor. Does anyone know which is the last update that did not implement volume limiting?

As far as I am aware, the volume limiting was with the EU firmware, to meet EU volume requirements.

I get plenty sufficient volume with 2.01.32F firmware, even though the volume control obviously is near the upper end for 600 ohm headphone antiques even in “High” volume mode. Maybe they increased internal processing headroom at some point, but certainly there is no volume limiting going on that would be worth noting. The EQ definitely has a negative input gain, maybe you’re using it and this wasn’t always the case. (I only apply EQ to my IEMs which require a volume setting near the other end of the adjustment range.)

In case it makes any difference, my interface language is set to English, and FM region is “world”. 

Message Edited by keyb_gr on 08-05-2009 11:39 AM

my volume level actually changed, it became higher, when i changed my location from “europe” to “other countries”( or whatever its called).

you could also try in the settings menu changing the volume option from “normal” to “high”.

hope this helps. 

OK, call me crazy but version 17 definitely plays louder than the current version 32 american firmware. I switched between both, playing the same song at mid volume level, with volume option set to high and no equalization. There was a noticable difference. If someone has the energy to try the same comparison I’d be interested to hear their findings. 

Interesting … I know that in version 20, the low end of the volume range was made quieter, as some people were complaining that even with the volume turned all the way down, it was still too loud.  But I don’t know whether that affected the rest of the volume range.

Not being a firmware expert I don’t see how only one portion of the volume range could be adjusted without affecting the whole range. My reason for asking about this is the thought that if my volume needs to be set higher for acceptable listening levels, would the battery drain faster.

@milesian wrote:
Not being a firmware expert I don’t see how only one portion of the volume range could be adjusted without affecting the whole range.

Also not being a firmware expert, I don’t know either; all I know is SanDisk described the .20 change as “Volume range is extended 10 steps (-15 db) at the lowest setting to allow quieter playback of MP3 and FM radio.”

@milesian wrote:
My reason for asking about this is the thought that if my volume needs to be set higher for acceptable listening levels, would the battery drain faster.

I would think so, as it would require directing more power to the internal amplifier, but maybe someone more knowledgeable could confirm that.  The question would then be, how much faster would it drain the battery.  A possible solution would be to get a small external amplifier, something like a Fiio:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2008/07/fiio-e3-headphone-amplifier-mini-review.php

Yeah I have had a FiiO for a month or so. It’s nice, but doesn’t add huge volume to any player, just cleans up the sound a little. Makes the whole package a little bulkier for when I’m cycling too. Think I’ll just stick with version 17. Thanks for all the feedback.