Vista and the firmware updater

I’m running Vista. After installing the firmware updater and plugging in my Express everything works ok, meaning the litle white box appears in my system tray. After a reboot I can see sansadispatch.exe running in my system tray but when I plug my Express in no little white Sansa updater box appears. If I stop sansadispatch.exe with task manager and run it manually with admin rights and in xp service pack 2 compatibility mode and plug the Express back in it works again.

Any ideas about how to have it automatically work (without having to restart sansadispatch.exe)?

Also what is starting sansadispatch.exe? I have a number of tools that monitor and display startup programs via location or registry entry etc, but I can’t locate where sansadispatch.exe is being automatically started from… seems kinda of strange or sneaky or clever depending on how you look at it.

Thx.

Well rest assured, they haven’t started a global takeover of everyones computer… … … yet?.. :slight_smile: But anyway, the updater will only appear when there’s a update available… normally. If you’re having trouble, try to uninstall it and reinstall… as for what program or process starts it… not too sure about that one myself…

You can uninstall the firmware checker if you want.

Since I have no internet now I did, and will just install it again someday…

The file that runs the updater is located here:

C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Updater\sansaupdater.exe

Create a shortcut to the file and put it on your desktop.  Edit the shortcut and in the Target properties, add the following to the end of the line:

-iloveit

So, the line will look like this:

“C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Updater\sansaupdater.exe” -iloveit

Remember, there is a space between the closing double-quote and the hyphen.  Launch the shortcut and the Sansa Updater will show in the SystemTray.

I have an issue with Vista 64, I installed the Sansa Updater as admin… now, every time I boot up, the UAC comes up asking if I want to allow it to run. Any advice to remove this annoyance short of turnng UAC off?

Same problem with Vista home premium.   Question remains: Any advice to remove this annoyance short of turnng UAC off?

set the task scheduler to start it up

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Applications/autostart_admin_program.aspx