Sansa Updater Question

Is it possible to setup the Updater NOT to load automatically.

And if so, how do I start it manually?

Thanks 

I suggest uninstalling Sansa Updater and installing manually from the sticky at the top if this forum.

@tweet wrote:
I suggest uninstalling Sansa Updater and installing manually from the sticky at the top if this forum.

I have the newest firmware already.

I take it there is no way to manually start and stop the Updater software? Meaning I need to check the forum frequently to remain up to date?

Or have I misunderstood?

Thanks

I believe you are right.  I guess you could uninstall the updater and then re-install it when you want to check and see if there is updated firmware, but it seems to me easier just to check here.

There may be a way to turn the updater off via a Windows screen somewhere.  But again, easier to just check here?

@miikerman wrote:

I believe you are right.  I guess you could uninstall the updater and then re-install it when you want to check and see if there is updated firmware, but it seems to me easier just to check here.

There may be a way to turn the updater off via a Windows screen somewhere.  But again, easier to just check here?

No, there is no screen, at least none that I could find.  I don’t mind checking occasionally. Just wanted to be sure I understood you correctly.

I appreciate  the advice.

Have a nice weekend. 

Sorry, when I referred to a Windows screen, I meant a Windows operating screen somewhere, as versus something as part of Updater. Again, not really worth the effort, it seems to me.

@miikerman wrote:
Sorry, when I referred to a Windows screen, I meant a Windows operating screen somewhere, as versus something as part of Updater. Again, not really worth the effort, it seems to me.

You have given me an idea!

I can use Startup Inspector to disable/enable the updater!

That way I can choose to check for updates perhaps once a week, or once a month, or whatever.

Thanks.

I am very glad you chose to further clarify.

It triggered a solution.:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:!!!

The Sansa Updater can be set to check for updates automatically, or you can manually select “check for updates” by clicking on the “S” in the system tray when the Sansa is connected.  You can turn off the auto update if you wish.

Once you get a feel for installing the firmware manually, it’s quite simple to install updates based upon feedback here on the forum.

The beauty of the Sansas’ design is that they behave like a hermit crab: the Sansa will take the new firmware copy from its root directory, automatically upgrading the existing firmware upon disconnect.  SanDisk made a clever move in the design phase, integrating the “firmware check” into the operating system.  One doesn’t have to put the device into a special access mode in order to upgrade.

The v1 player, with its PortalPlayer processor, has the Recovery Mode for occasions when the bootloader gets tweaked, but we still can upgrade these devices via drag and drop into the root directory!

For those who are curious, MSC mode is not required for the firmware update, as long as the device is operating and communicating normally.  All that is needed is a double click on “Internal Memory” to access the root directory, while in MTP mode.

I may have spoken prematurely about using the Sansa Updater to reinstall a new copy of the current firmware build, as I had a concurrent registry issue on my PC.  I’m going to try checking the box for a copy of the existing firmware build and we’ll see what happens this time around. I have grown accustomed to manual installation as well; you guys have ruined me.

My wife is convinced I’m a masochist, as I intentionally mess up the devices to duplicate problems discussed here.  In every case, my Lil’ Monstas bounce right back.  Next in the pipeline is a second machine with Kubuntu to play with mounting these devices in linux. 

Bob  (earbuds on)   :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

The Sansa Updater can be set to check for updates automatically, or you can manually select “check for updates” by clicking on the “S” in the system tray when the Sansa is connected. You can turn off the auto update if you wish.

Snip

My wife is convinced I’m a masochist, as I intentionally mess up the devices to duplicate problems discussed here. In every case, my Lil’ Monstas bounce right back. Next in the pipeline is a second machine with Kubuntu to play with mounting these devices in linux.

Bob (earbuds on) :smileyvery-happy:

On my rather old and slow computer it takes the updater FOREVER to start, tying up my entire system.

I’m going to use my way (Startup Inspector) for the time being.

But Thanks. More useful information. Neve a bad thing to have.

Message Edited by itisonlyi on 06-06-2008 06:52 PM

The v1 player, with its PortalPlayer processor, has the Recovery Mode for occasions when the bootloader gets tweaked, but we still can upgrade these devices via drag and drop into the root directory!

Please clarify this statement for me. I do not know that a Clip has different versions. 

@itisonlyi wrote:

That way I can choose to check for updates perhaps once a week, or once a month, or whatever.

Thanks.

It triggered a solution.:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:!!!

And thanks for the information about Startup Inspector.  Although, in the end, probably as fast just to check the stickies at the top of the forum here–and then get information besides!

:wink:

Hello Tweet-

The discussion was about the Sansa Updater, and its automatic firmware installation.  The “v1” I mention is the e200 series player.  It’s unique in that there are two families of processor for the e200- the new version shares the Clip’s AustriaMicrosystems processor.

With the v1, many users are forced to use the “recovery mode”, making the Sansa Updater useless to update.  This is the “special access” mode I am referring to.

The Clip, the Fuze, and the e200v2 all share the same method for firmware installation.

Oh, the Updater will indeed NOT allow installation of the same firmware level as the version on the device, meaning that if your firmware is corrupted, manual installation will save the day.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@miikerman wrote:

@itisonlyi wrote:

Thanks.

And thanks for the information about Startup Inspector. Although, in the end, probably as fast just to check the stickies at the top of the forum here–and then get information besides!

:wink:

I hope you find Startup Inspector useful. I have been using it for a couple of years, and my startup time has been greatly reduced, and my available memory significantly increased.

And I am pleased that I was able to in some small way return the favor!:wink:

Have a happy