UTF-16 support?

Hi,

I’m using a Clip 2GB, revision 1, and I can’t get some of the tags in my music to display correctly. I have used Mp3tag to convert the tags to ID3v2.3 UTF-16. The tags show up correctly in Foobar2000 and Mp3tag, but when I transfer the songs to my Clip, I end up with strange characters. I have the latest firmware installed on my Clip (1.1.30).

Examples of one of my title tags would be “Cô Gái Việt Nam” or “Mẹ Hiền”.

After much searching, I came to the conclusion that the Clip doesn’t yet support ID3v2.4 with Unicode characters, but its latest firmware is supposed to support ID3v2.3 UTF-16. Unfortunately, I wonder if that support is limited to only certain characters. 

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello iveal and welcome to the forum.

The Clip fully supports Unicode tags (ID3v2.3 for now, possibly v2.4 in the future).

The problem seems to be that it just cannot display the Vietnamese characters. The font probably does not contain the appropriate glyphs. It’s up to SanDisk to add them in. I’m not sure how (if) the Clip handles combining diacritics though.

Hi, thanks for your explanation and for the warm welcome.

I don’t suppose there’s any way for me to request the ability to display Vietnamese characters for future firmware revisions, is there?

SanDisk seems to be actively monitoring all boards, but it might be better to also post a request to the Product Feature Suggestions.

It may depend on what Language is selected in Settings.  If you choose English then maybe the characters foreign to English don’t display correctly.  Try changing the Language to the language used in the tags to see if this helps.