How do I display Japanese tags?

I have a Clip+. Half my songs are in english, the other is from ripps i got from Japanese CDs and some Japanese downloads (iTunes and other places). Tags show up in nonsense letters or “Unknown” for titles and artists. Is there some firmware/software i can install or some settings i can chage to make this work. I dont want to have to go into all my files and change the tags around. Thanks for any help.

What happens if you change the player’s language setting to Japanese?

Thanks,but i tried that, didnt work >_<

You could use a program like MP3Tag to make sure the tags are stored in ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1 format (the format Sansas are most compatible with).

I don’t know if ISO supports Japanese characters, though…

gwk1967 wrote:

You could use a program like MP3Tag to make sure the tags are stored in ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1 format (the format Sansas are most compatible with).

I don’t know if ISO supports Japanese characters, though…

I think therein lies the rub. ISO only supports ASCII characters if I recall correctly. Japanese would probably need UTF-8 or UTF-16.

I have a few mp3s in Japanese as well.  They came from CDs burned using Windows Media Player, and all the Japanese info shows up fine on my Clip+.  I’m sorry I can’t help more, but I just wanted to let you know that it should display with no problems.

My Clip is set to English.  I don’t think changing the language would help at all.

Hummm, I also used Windows Media Player, but on a Japanese computer using Japanese Windows - do you think that would have any effect?

Japanese software for windows will unfortunately usually save text in a Microsoft-modified form of Shift JIS, but windows itself uses UTF-16 internally.

But I have found that UTF-8 ID3v2 tags with japanese seem too work quite well, if you have a tager capable of saving in UTF-8 try re-saving the tags in it. I use Ex Falso and KID3 for my taging needs, but i doubt those work on windows, but I can recommend trying Foobar2000, that windows jukebox is awesome, it should be able to handle re-taging your files.

Good luck!