Using media player to convert cd music to MP3 files for shaker

Like many of you, I’ve spent hours trying to load my daughter’s cd music onto the shaker.  Using windows media player, I finally discovered that a simple change did the trick.  Once you get the media player window on screen, go to the “Tools” menu bar at the top, and scroll down to the “Options” bar and click.   After that, click on the “rip music” tab.  Under “rip settings” format, click on mp3.  Click the “Apply” button, and then the “ok” button.  Finally, at the top of the media player, click on “Rip” and your cd soundtrack should be ripping.  Once that is completed, hit synchronize, and this should send it to the shaker.  Magically, the music played on the Shaker!!  Hope this helps all of you like me who have struggled with something that should have been much easier to accomplish.

Thanks, very useful

I have tried doing this several times.  Media Player would not let me use the mp3 setting to copy from the CD.

Getting very frustrated!!!

Try updating your codecs for Media Player from MS.

It sounds like this might fix it.

I am running Media Player 11. I have tried looking for the codecs on the mediaplayer plugin website but I am not sure of what I need to look for.

I am getting really frustrated at this point and not sure what to do!

OK, let’s get this straight.

If your goal is to rip CD-Audio (cd tracks) to MP3, then you might want to give CDEx a try. 

CDEx is a great freeware and Open Source CD-Audio extractor. It comes bundled with the Lame MP3 encoder and OGG Vorbis encoder, and provides support for various other encoders as well. It’s loaded with nice features such as CDDB query, automatic file naming, ID3 field completion and ID3V2 tag format as well. And is capable of converting WAV files to MP3 and vice versa.

It’s faster than Nero and WMP 11 hands down, and most importantly it’s FREE!

And on another note, it might solve the codec problem with your installation of WMP 11, although I can’t be sure of that.

And finally, another option might want to try is Codec Guide, they are the keepers of the K-Lite Codec Packs.

I myself use the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 3.6.2.  Sure this might be overkill, but it’s full of functionality and will solve many issues that Microsoft has seen fit not to address.

With the K-Lite Codec Pack you should be able to play/encode all the popular audio and video formats and even several less common formats.

Below is a list of what the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 3.6.2 will install.

Media Player Classic - What Windows Media Player was before Microsoft turned it into Internet sucking bloatware.
DivX Pro - This is what MP3 is to CD-Audio, except it is for DVD-Video.  This is only the codec, the rest of it cost money.
XviD - Same as above, except it’s all there and totally free
Windows Media 9 VCM
Windows Media
On2 VP3
On2 VP6 [Decoding]
On2 VP6 [Encoding]
Ligos Indeo XP
Intel Indeo
Intel I.263
huffyuv
MS MPEG-4
DivX :wink: MPEG-4 Low and Fast motion
Cyberlink DVD decoder
Elecard MPEG-2 demuxer
MainConcept MPEG-2 demuxer
Ligos MPEG-2 decoder
Cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder
MainConcept MPEG-2 decoder
Fraunhofer MP3 DirectShow decoder
WMA DirectShow decoder
AC3 DirectShow decoder
AC3 ACM decoder
Ogg Vorbis DirectShow decoder (CoreVorbis)
AAC DirectShow decoder (CoreAAC)
3ivX Pro
Nero Digital MPEG-1/2 decoder
MusePack DirectShow decoder
Voxware DirectShow decoder
Monkey’s Audio DirectShow decoder
DivX :wink: Audio
LAME MP3 Encoder - This is what you might need.
Ogg DirectShow splitter
Matroska DirectShow splitter
Matroska DirectShow muxer
DirectVobSub (vsfilter)
Matrix Mixer
SHOUTcast Source
Morgan Multimedia Stream Switcher
DivX Anti-Freeze
GSpot Codec Information Appliance
FourCC Changer
Bitrate Calculator

WARNING - Unless you are very sure of what you are doing, give this codec pack a long hard look before installing.  I’ve been using it for years and I have never seen it cause any problems, but if you choose to step outside of its installation reccomendtions, it might cause quite a mess.

RevGary

THANK YOU!  Too bad this was not in the Quick Start guide, would have made the quick start actually “quick”!

Thanks for the Info. I will let you know how it turns out!!!

Michael

REVGARY… Thanks so much for the help.  I was just about to give up on this. Everything works fine!!!

Michael