CD to MP3 player?

Sorry about all the questions here - but I’m totally new to music on the computer.  I stopped evolving at the CD - so I’m trying to catch up here technology wise.

I’m looking to move CD media to MP3 player.   What’s the best way to get the soundtracks from CD media to player.  Should I go right from CD to Player via Media Player - or is there some other step  ( getting audio file onto hard drive first ?? ) I should be looking to do.   

The best CD to MP3 ripper out there.

No dont go straight from the CD to the player. It doesnt usually work. Use Windows Media Player to Rip the Files into MP3 format. In WMP 11, select the Rip Tab. then Click the little arrow below it,go down to more options, and when the window pops up, in the top section click change and browse around to find a place to save your files, under the rip settings section, Choose MP3 format, and then the quality you want. The options range from 128 kbps (smallest size) to 320 kBps (Largest Size). The largest Size offers the best sound, but you will not be able to fit as many files on your fuze, The smallest size allows the most files but offers the worst quality sound. (There are other formats that people suggest but since you are a beginner with digital music Stick with MP3.) Then Click Apply, and OK. Then Put the CD in and click Start Rip. 

BTW, before you Rip the songs, Make sure you have an internet connection so WMP can get the track info.

@conversionbox wrote:

No dont go straight from the CD to the player. It doesnt usually work. Use Windows Media Player to Rip the Files into MP3 format. In WMP 11, select the Rip Tab. then Click the little arrow below it,go down to more options, and when the window pops up, in the top section click change and browse around to find a place to save your files, under the rip settings section, Choose MP3 format, and then the quality you want. The options range from 128 kbps (smallest size) to 320 kBps (Largest Size). The largest Size offers the best sound, but you will not be able to fit as many files on your fuze, The smallest size allows the most files but offers the worst quality sound. (There are other formats that people suggest but since you are a beginner with digital music Stick with MP3.) Then Click Apply, and OK. Then Put the CD in and click Start Rip. 

BTW, before you Rip the songs, Make sure you have an internet connection so WMP can get the track info.

Thanks

I found an online manual - and had ripped them to Windows media format.  I just deleted them from library and am ripping them as mp3.  Thanks for the heads up on the internet too.  I was wondering how the computer knew all that info re: my CD which was made in the 90’s… lol

@fireball wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

Thanks

I found an online manual - and had ripped them to Windows media format.  I just deleted them from library and am ripping them as mp3.  Thanks for the heads up on the internet too.  I was wondering how the computer knew all that info re: my CD which was made in the 90’s… lol

Back in the Days of Dial up that kinda stuff (Gettin info) took forever… It was faster for me to type it all in. I love Cable Internet!

I ripped a few older music CD’s to library in mp3 format using Wind Media Player 11.

I tried ripping some business CD’s ( the main reason I purchased the player ) to mp3 format and I’m getting an error Message

Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD.

C00D0FAA

Windows Media Player cannot rip the track because a compatible MP3 encoder is not installed on your computer. Install a compatible MP3 encoder or choose a different format to rip to (such as Windows Media Audio).

Is this come kindof Write Protection on the CD - or is there something additional I could do to resolve this issue.

* The Win Player is ripping to Windows Media Audio format

* The Win Player is ripping to WAV format ( Lossless )

* The Win Player is NOT RIPPING to mp3 format

How should I handle this issue.  I still haven’t opened my Fuze player yet - b/c I need to know that I can get a library of content to use the player before I open it and take a hit for not being able to return the player if it doesn’t fit my needs.

Thanks

Message Edited by fireball on 01-18-2009 10:04 AM

Message Edited by fireball on 01-18-2009 10:05 AM

What is the format or codec of the 'business CDs"? What exactly are you trying to rip to .mp3 format? We can’t advise on something we don’t know. :wink:

What is the file format or codec of the ‘business CDs’? What exactly are you trying to rip to .mp3 format? We can’t advise on something we don’t know. :wink:

The series I’m having trouble with is a standard Compact Disk printed for retail sales from Nightingale Conant.  It’s a Brian Tracy program and it’s a factory original.  I’ve burned them to CD-R without any problems but getting hiccup ripping them to mp3.  I’d like to store them on a flash memory device to downsize.

Beyond that - I don’t know how to determine what format the CD is.  I assumed it was the same format as any other CD I own from a record label - but it isn’t ripping to mp3 format for some reason.

Can I just move the wav files or Windows Media to my Fuze - and have multiple file formats for varioius tracks in my library?  Or is this not advisable for some reason?  As I previously mentioned - I can rip them to wav and windows media format - I’m just having a problem getting them to mp3 format.

Message Edited by fireball on 01-18-2009 11:09 AM

Either .wav or .wma will play fine on the Fuze, so you could certainly do this with no problem.

Most music CD’s are in a.cda format. You should be able to determine the format on your problem discs in Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the CD drive (with the CD in it) and selecting Explore or Open.

I think it’s formatted as CDFS file - I right clicked the disk in my computer and went to properties.

It says it’s an audio CD

with a File system - CDFS

According to this site - it’s a legacy format

CDFS - The CDFS format has a number of restrictions due to its’ simplicity.

1. Directory and file names must be fewer than 32 characters long.
  2. Directory trees can be no more than eight levels deep.

CDFS is considered a legacy format because the industry has adopted the Universal Disk Format (UDF) as the standard for read-only media.

http://www.buildorbuy.net/udf.html

Do you think CDFS is the format - or should I be looking somewhere else.  When I opened the explorer - I just got a list of the tracks labeled  " CD audio track "

@conversionbox wrote:

The one I mentioned isn’t a cd to player ripper if that’s what you mean :wink:. You can rip cd tracks to different types of codecs.

@d_headshot wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

The one I mentioned isn’t a cd to player ripper if that’s what you mean :wink:. You can rip cd tracks to different types of codecs.

Actually you posted while I was typing. Had you posted before I started i wouldnt have said a word. I love that ripper, it is on my parents PC. 

@fireball wrote:

I think it’s formatted as CDFS file - I right clicked the disk in my computer and went to properties.

It says it’s an audio CD

According to this site - it’s a legacy format

CDFS - The CDFS format has a number of restrictions due to its’ simplicity.

1. Directory and file names must be fewer than 32 characters long.
  2. Directory trees can be no more than eight levels deep.

CDFS is considered a legacy format because the industry has adopted the Universal Disk Format (UDF) as the standard for read-only media.

http://www.buildorbuy.net/udf.html

Do you think CDFS is the format - or should I be looking somewhere else.  When I opened the explorer - I just got a list of the tracks labeled  " CD audio track "

Is the disk like a lecture or like somebody talking that needs to be played sequentially? The best example I can give is My Geroge Carlin Live Cd (it will rip) which needs to be played sequentially. If so Take those files that say CD audio Track, highlight it, and then right click and choose copy, then paste them to your desktop. Use a tag editor, to make tags for them. Thats All I can think of if WMP or The Ripper That d_Headshot posted wont work. 

Yes it is a lecturer that should probably be listened to sequentially.  But I can shuffle the tracks on my CD player like any other disk. 

I’ll try those approaches as soon as I get my device recognized with my computer and resolve the Firmware updater issues.  Right now - my device is just an expensive poor reception FM radio and I’d like to get a little more for my money. 

Thanks for your patient help.  It’s much appreciated

@fireball wrote:

It says it’s an audio CD

No, CDFS is not the format. As the Proerties indicated, it is the File System, like NTFS, FAT, or FAT32.

Right-click on the drive containing the CD, but instead select Open or Explore as I previously suggested. This will open up and show the tracks as files like any other folder or directory. Now, what is the 3 letter extension of the filename (example: Track01.cda)? This is the format.

If they are indeed .cda format, they should be able to be ripped and converted to .mp3 w/o problems unless whoever created it in the first place changed the attributes soemhow preventing copying the disc by anybody else.

If they are not .cda, let us know what it is, so maybe we can help. It may just be a case of a different ripping program being needed. WMP can be persnickety at times.

But like I said, there’s nothing wrong with .wma or .wav either. They’ll play fine on your Fuze.

@tapeworm wrote:

Right-click on the drive containing the CD, but instead select Open or Explore as I previously suggested. This will open up and show the tracks as files like any other folder or directory. Now, what is the 3 letter extension of the filename (example: Track01.cda)? This is the format.

If they are indeed .cda format, they should be able to be ripped and converted to .mp3 w/o problems unless whoever created it in the first place changed the attributes soemhow preventing copying the disc by anybody else.

If they are not .cda, let us know what it is, so maybe we can help. It may just be a case of a different ripping program being needed. WMP can be persnickety at times.

But like I said, there’s nothing wrong with .wma or .wav either. They’ll play fine on your Fuze.

I did that earlier - and I am lookign at the tracks right now.  There is no format - I have a list of Tracks -

Track 1

CD Audio Track

1kb

I can view it as Icons, Thumbnails, Tiles, List, or Detailed viewing options and that’s all the information that’s available in Explorer

You probably have Windows set to hide file extensions (the default setting). In Windows Explorer, go to Tools>Folder Options>View and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”.

@gwk1967 wrote:
You probably have Windows set to hide file extensions (the default setting). In Windows Explorer, go to Tools>Folder Options>View and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”.

That’s the ticket. 

It’s a .cda format. 

Everything’s working now.  I got one of the CD’s to mp3 format and into library - and synched up with my Fuze.

I don’t know what the hangup was - but the issue of this post seems to be resolved.