USB Driver Failing To Install

Hi, i was wondering if anyone knows what i should do. I got my Sansa Connect just 3 days ago, early x-mas present. And it worked fine for a day and half. Then i realized the yahoo launch was recongizing I had it plugged into my computer. So i went and checked the driver. I realized that was the problem uninstalled the driver went to install it again and it wont install it, it fails everytime. It said Please contact manufacture about installing device MTP device Failed. Any one know what i should do?

The MTP driver is included with Windows Media Player 11.  Early versions of WMP11 had bugs with the driver, be sure you are running the latest version of WMP11.  Try uninstalling WMP11, which will roll it back to version 10, then reinstall version 11 from the Microsoft site.

If you can see the Connect and files in Windows Explorer, you should be able to see and use it in WMP and in Y! Music Jukebox.   Y! Jukebox uses the drivers and many .dll’s from WMP11, so having the latest version of WMP11 is important for both to work properly.

One known issue:  sometimes the Connect won’t be visible when you plug the USB cable in when it has been in sleep mode.  If this happens, shut down the Connect and restart, it will become visible once rebooted.

Message Edited by GnisiBrianJ25us on 12-24-2007 09:01 AM

You likely also need a firmware update. There was a problem with the original ship firmware that required power off/on to clear the MTP recognition problem. The latest firmware does not have this problem. You should review the FAQs for tips on updatting the firmware and SLEEP vs OFF mode.

Check out this link:

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1541

I will make sure my windows player is updated, not 100% postive that it is. But I dont know if this makes a difference, I know the player isnt asleep and i just tried it again to to be sure :slight_smile: As soon as i plug in the USB cable the driver little icon comes on at the bottom…it the green circle goes around and around the finally it will pop up and say “Device Driver Software was not Successfully Installed”.  Then if i click for more info it said that message i wrote up above.

Uninstalling and reinstalling WMP11 may help ensure that the MTP driver is available and up to date.  After the confirming you are up to date with WMP11, attach the Connect to USB after you have restarted the Connect.  To obtain the latest firmware for your Connect, make a WiFi connection, and it should downlaod and install within 20-30 minutes.  From direct experience, the MTP recognition issue which occurs occasionally when the device has been previously been put to sleep is not resolved with the new firmware, but the firmware provides many great new features, including video and advanced subscription music search features.   

See link elsewhere in this thread for a hotfix for WMP11 to resolve the MTP hang.

Message Edited by GnisiBrianJ25us on 12-25-2007 08:22 PM

Thanks for at least raising the question.  My sansa-connect worked for about a week, then I started having the same problems you’re having.  Tried to download updated drivers for sansa, but they don’t have them.  Tried to download version 11 of Microsoft’s Media Player, but that required that I UN-install the existing WPM - which (even though I’m the administrator of this computer, I was not allowed by VISTA to do).  Tried to download the ver 11 Windows Media Player anyway, but it wouldn’t install with the older version in there.  COME ON, SANDISK, - - -  WHY DON’T YOU JUST GIVE US A DIRECT WAY TO DOWNLOAD THE DRIVERS FOR SANSA CONNECT WITHOUT HAVING TO JUMP THROUGH ALL THESE HOOPS???    My sandisk player worked perfectly until two days ago –   I made the mistake of recommending it to several people.  Now I want my money back.  If anyone finds a EASIER way to install the drivers for sansa-connect, please let me know!

hermitdog42@gmail.com

BRIAN’S SUGGESTIONS WERE VERY HELPFUL.  I REINSTALLED WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER VER.11 AND ALSO RAN THE SANSA RECOVERY TOOL (RETURNING THE PLAYER TO ITS FACTORY CONDITION) AND ALSO RAN THE HOTFIX BRIAN SUGGESTED - - -  THE ‘SYNC’ OPERATIONS FROM WITHIN WMP-11 ARE WORKING PERFECTLY NOW, AND I’VE RELOADED ALL OF MY PREVIOUSLY SAVED TRACKS ONTO THE PLAYER. 
THANKS FOR HELPING ME THROUGH THE FRUSTRATION!    MERRY CHRISTMAS, TOO! 

p.s.  GOOD LUCK TO XCRYSTALX - - -   I HOPE YOU HAVE THE PROBLEM SOLVED BY NOW.  IF NOT, JUST FOLLOW BRIAN’S SUGGESTIONS – THEY WORK!  :smileyvery-happy:

There can sometimes be difficulties in uninstalling WMP in Vista.  If you have problems, you can instead try applying the following hotfix which may resolve many issues with MTP devices ceasing to respond.  Follow this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935552/en-us

I have a sansa clip that i got just recently. Having problems getting it to charge on my computer. For some reason It will charge on other peoples but not mine. Im running windows xp 2003. when i plug it into the usb port, it dosnt register. Like you cant open it or see it on the my computer tab.  Ive tried hooking it to all 4 usb ports but that didnt do ■■■■. The clip actually will come on and act like its charging, but then it just starts running up a half charge on the little icon. when you unplug it it is still at a dead charge. I have no idea why it only does this on my computer. can anyone give me some tips or advice.

A real idot when it comes to this stuff…

jj