Still a fast forward problem on large files?

In reading through previous posts, it seemed this problem had been fixed in one of the firmware updates.  However, running .20A, and playing this file:

http://media.grc.com/sn/SN-132-lq.mp3

which is over an hour long, I can’t fast forward.  I press the >> button, and it seems to be fast forwarding, but when I release that button it goes immediately to the next mp3.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Edit:  This file was a 16k mp3.  I went back and downloaded the 64k version, and it fast forwards ok.  So I guess this means that while a 16k mp3 will play, it may not behave quite right.  Does that sound correct?

Message Edited by Peabody on 02-21-2008 10:49 PM

Yes, it has been mentioned on this board before and you can find it in the manual that “The Sansa Clip player will support 64-320Kbps for MP3 and 32-192Kbps for WMA.”

I record a radio show every day, convert from asf to 16k mp3, and they FF fine…Jack

I download audiobooks from my public library (not Audible files).  They are DRM protected WMA files at 32kbps (which falls within the 32-192 range, right?).  They transfer to my Clip okay and play okay, but I still have the fast-forward problem.  Forwards okay up to about 20 minutes into the file, then jumps to beginning of the next chapter, section or whatever.

I gather the Sansa Clip can’t transcode to other bit rates.  Anyone know of any 3rd party software that can do this?

The next firmware release should address this issue.  The fix we did had a “hole”  with some very long content.  Its about a month away.

Message Edited by sansafix on 02-29-2008 12:13 PM

Thank you for listening to your customers, to improve the experience even further …

Thanks for letting me know, first, that it wasn’t something I was doing wrong, and second, that help is coming.  I look forward to the fix.

The audio book files I get (Overdrive Media Console files) are intended to be about the length of an audio CD – up to 80 min long.  If I get 50 minutes into a chapter on my commute to work, I can’t sit in the parking lot another 20-30 minutes to finish it.  So I’ll have to jot down the time, I guess.  Even so, it takes a lot of fast forwarding to get to 50 minutes, and god forbid I hit the wrong button before noticing the stopping point time, or lose the paper I wrote it on, or whatever.

Any add-ons to the Clip’s software to help deal with this would be really appreciated!  Best would be the ability to store and return to the point where we left off in a long file.  Another option would be a way for the user to manually place a bookmark in the file (e.g., by holding the Pause button for 5 seconds).  Another helpful thing would be if the Clip could read the “Media Markers” that are already placed in the Overdrive files – these are about 15 minutes apart, which is an improvement over 80 min.

I know this is asking a lot in an inexpensive player.  Do your higher-end players have this capability?  If so, which ones?

Thanks.

@sansafix wrote:

The next firmware release should address this issue.  The fix we did had a “hole”  with some very long content.  Its about a month away.

Message Edited by sansafix on 02-29-2008 12:13 PM