Some songs won't play

I tried updating my firmware (to the 1.01.32 mark) and this did not fix my issue, which is:

Some songs simply won’t play. I select them in any list (be it songs, albums, whatever) and it flashes on the screen for about half a second, then skips to the next song. If It is the only song on the album, when I go to play it, it stays frozen at “pause” and when I try and play it, it reverts back to pause in about half a second, just as before. this has only happened for a few songs on my player, so I don’t know if it’s a problem with the files or the Clip itself.

Me too, I tried several times to sync Buckcherry’s album “15”, and Audioslave’s album “Out of Exile” with no luck. They went to my wife’s RCA player no problem. Songs show for one second and then go to next song. What’s up with that?

There are some things we need to know in order to help you folks… What Format are the songs? What are you using to rip the songs to the computer? What method are you using to transfer. Odds are that you are dealing with songs that are DRM protected. 

MP3 file format, using WMP to transfer/sync, Torrenting songs.

@trufant wrote:
MP3 file format, using WMP to transfer/sync, Torrenting songs.

My guess is it is the files themselves.

@marvin_martian wrote:


@trufant wrote:
MP3 file format, using WMP to transfer/sync, Torrenting songs.


My guess is it is the files themselves.

Assuming the torrents are legally licensed from the band… I would try MTP Mode and see if that helps. But Since I’m guessing these aren’t legal torrents I would suggest you find the songs some other way and try that, with an illegal torrent you never know what you are getting.

It could be many things, and since you got the file from the net you have no idea what it was made with.

Just because it is mp3, it can also be CBR, VBR, many different forms of VBR and encoders that make them. Some player won’t play a file if it is greater then 320 bit rate. VBR i have seen files as high as 608 bit rate and not paly on many player but play fine on a PC.

Next the TAGs may be funny. It may use characters the player don’t understand or be longer then the player supports. Clear all tags and re tags.

Next the file names may be to long for this player. Shorten the file name.

If i tried i could come up with a few more i thing.

Message Edited by Rainey on 05-09-2009 04:24 PM

I actually got downloads directly from the band’s website, but then when those didn’t work I resorted to torrents, and had the same problem. the thing is I DLed the album but only the first 7 songs won’t play, everything else is fine. I’ll try editing the track info.

@trufant wrote:
I actually got downloads directly from the band’s website, but then when those didn’t work I resorted to torrents, and had the same problem. the thing is I DLed the album but only the first 7 songs won’t play, everything else is fine. I’ll try editing the track info.

That sounds like the next logical step

Alright, well, I Fixed it. I took all the songs, converted them to .FLAC, and being as OCD as I am as far as how neat and clean libraries and stuff go on my MP3 player, I DLed winamp and synced them onto the Clip through Winamp so the Album and Artist info stuck.

Thanks! >_>

@trufant wrote:

Alright, well, I Fixed it. I took all the songs, converted them to .FLAC, and being as OCD as I am as far as how neat and clean libraries and stuff go on my MP3 player, I DLed winamp and synced them onto the Clip through Winamp so the Album and Artist info stuck.

 

Thanks! >_>

You do realize that converting them to FLAC probably doubled their size, I hope…must be great songs for that kind of trade-off :smileyvery-happy:

@rainey wrote:

 

Just because it is mp3, it can also be CBR, VBR, many different forms of VBR and encoders that make them. Some player won’t play a file if it is greater then 320 bit rate. VBR i have seen files as high as 608 bit rate and not paly on many player but play fine on a PC.

Message Edited by Rainey on 05-09-2009 04:24 PM

Although VBR is “variable” it is still supposed to stick to standard bitrates, and the highest is 320k.  You can get higher with the “freeformat” option on Lame but it is then no longer really MP3 (as in meeting the standard of mpeg-1 audio layer 3)

Whoa, you guys just flew right over my head! Get a load of this, I never download songs, I have these round things that come with the songs on them. I put them in my computer and rip them to Windows Media Player as Mp3s. Cool huh? Then I plug my clip in and sync to it by dragging and dropping what I want. I thought songs are songs right. 95% of my stuff plays after syncing, I just don’t understand why the others don’t.

Thanks in advance for dumbing it down…