Some optional help

We have two computers in my house: My PC with XP, no problems; and my craptacular laptop with 2000 (don’t knock on it). My trouble is that files put onto Clip from the laptop are inaccessable on the PC, and vice versa. This also applies to my (new) XBOX 360, only reading files put on from the laptop. Playing files on the Clip is unhindered (except for the fact that an artist will occaionally appear twice rather than once). Help would be greatly appreciated.

Message Edited by RockLobster on 01-01-2008 08:04 PM

What’s happening, RL, is that your XP system has the Clip’s minimum requirements (XP SP2 and WMP10) and your laptop does not.  And so your Clip uses MTP (media transfer protocol) mode when hooked up to the XP system, and MSC (mass storage capacity) mode when hooked to the laptop which cannot “achieve” MTP mode.  The issue that comes up is, neither mode can see the other mode’s files; install files using one mode and they are invisible to a computer using the other mode.  A sweet dilemma, huh?

And so the answer is, get used to it; or only use 1 “level” of computer with the player; or update if you already haven’t to the .18 firmware (see the sticky above) and then set Settings/USB to MSC no matter what the computer’s capabilities.  While I default to the 3rd option, note that MSC is not compatible with Rhapsody and with DRM (digital rights music) files–that may answer what you need or want to do.

I hope this helps.

Fantastic. Thanks for the help, not much I can do. I guess that’s what I can use my ■■■■ 256mb flash drive for now if all else fails. I’m guessing it works for Winamp, so eh. So how do I edit USB Settings?

(<----nooblet)

Message Edited by RockLobster on 01-01-2008 08:26 PM

miik is rite… after you update,  set to connect msc as default… unless you have a good reason, dont ever use mtp.  really no reason is good enuf for drm handcuffs – i mean files…
use mp3gain in msc on clip when you load songs…

Fantastic. Thanks for the help, not much I can do. I guess that’s what I can use my ■■■■ 256mb flash drive for now if all else fails. I’m guessing it works for Winamp, so eh. So how do I edit USB Settings?

(<----nooblet)“”

what?.  what about flash drive? . are you talking portable winamp?  if you got winamp, all files on clip will play on it …what are you talking about the usb settings?  msc mtp?? update bin, then find option in settings on device
what ??

Message Edited by amkoas on 01-01-2008 08:31 PM

I’m talking about using teh flash drive as a fall back, because it’s ■■■■, trust me. As for Winamp, my lappy has Winamp, PC has WMP11. Sheesh, calm down. I should’ve clarified…but…dang…

To edit the USB setting after you upgrade to .18 firmware, just go to Settings/USB, and then choose MSC.  Again, if you don’t have DRM files, it’s no big deal.  (Note that the freebie songs that came with the Clip were put on under MTP mode, I think; if you want to be able to see them in the future under MSC mode, simply move them to your computer, switch to MSC mode, and then move them back.)

Sweet. Thank you.