After WinXP re-install, can't communicate w/ Clip like I used to

Hi,

So this weekend I put in a new hard drive and had to reinstall winxp.  Getting it updated to SP3 and beyond took most of the day.  Anyways, now when I try to connect my Sansa 2GB clip to the same USB i’ve used for a couple years, something very different happens.  First thing was that instead of detecting a new USB Mass Storage device, winXP detected an MTP device.  A little icon appeared and disappeared in my system tray and winxp autoplay asked if I wanted to use winamp or media player to manage the device. Well, I wanted to use windows explorer like i’ve always done, but that wasn’t an option.  On a lark, I updated the firmware using Sansa updater, but there was no change.

I found an article online directing me to update the driver in Device Manager manually.  I figured out how to do that, but when I tried to switch it from MTB to Mass Storage Device, I got a “could not start device: Code 10” error.  So I did some more research and found out that there are two USB modes available on the device, MSC and MTB.  I’ve been using auto detect this whole time and never had a problem.  I followed the instructions on how to force-switch USB mode on the device to MSC and then I connected it to the PC again.  This time I was able to see the drive in windows explorer and access the sub folders, but they were all empty!  At least that’s how they appear in windows explorer.  However, all my mp3s are still located in the player and I can scroll through and listen to them as as soon as I disconnect from the PC.   Next I tried connecting to my laptop that runs Vista.  Worked perfectly, just like it used to on my PC. In fact, as I type I’m making a back up of all the songs on the device until I figure out what’s going on.

Obviously there’s something different about the winxp setup I have now compared to the setup I had prior to my reinstallation and it’s pissing off the Clip.  What other settings do I need to be looking at?  Any ideas?

Files added in 1 USB mode are not visible or accessible while connected in the other. So it’s best not to use the Auto Defect setting. Choose either MTP or MSC based on your usage and stick with that. If you use DRM-crippled files (CRhapsody, Napster, borrowed Audio books from the library, etc.) you’ll need MTP. Otherwise, just stick with MSC. It’s much simpler and trouble-free. Your device will appear to your computer as just another drive, like a thumb-drive, memory card or stick.

MTP makes your player appear to your computer as a musical device that has to be ‘managed’ by Windows Media Player. Hence the need for drivers (which are located in WMP 10 & up) and is prone to connection issues/problems.

So it’s good that you’re backing up your files. I’d format the player will will erase everything and give you a clean slate form which to start over, after selecting whichever USB mode is best for you.

Files added in 1 USB mode are not visible or accessible while connected in the other. So it’s best not to use the Auto Defect setting. Choose either MTP or MSC based on your usage and stick with that. If you use DRM-crippled files (CRhapsody, Napster, borrowed Audio books from the library, etc.) you’ll need MTP. Otherwise, just stick with MSC. It’s much simpler and trouble-free. Your device will appear to your computer as just another drive, like a thumb-drive, memory card or stick.

MTP makes your player appear to your computer as a musical device that has to be ‘managed’ by Windows Media Player. Hence the need for drivers (which are located in WMP 10 & up) and is prone to connection issues/problems.

So it’s good that you’re backing up your files. I’d format the player will will erase everything and give you a clean slate from which to start over, after selecting whichever USB mode is best for you.