SD Card problems

I just got my Express, and I inserted a newly formatted microSD card (2gb). The card is not recognised by the player and is not visible when I connect the device to the PC in MTP mode. When I connect in MSC mode, I can add music files, delete music files and reformat the card, but no matter what the player will not see it. When I connect in MTP mode, only the internal storage is visible Has anyone else seen this problem?

1gb Sansa Express firmware 01.01.12 

A-Data microSD card

• Ed

@edembowski wrote:

I just got my Express, and I inserted a newly formatted microSD card (2gb). The card is not recognised by the player and is not visible when I connect the device to the PC in MTP mode. When I connect in MSC mode, I can add music files, delete music files and reformat the card, but no matter what the player will not see it. When I connect in MTP mode, only the internal storage is visible Has anyone else seen this problem?

1gb Sansa Express firmware 01.01.12 

A-Data microSD card

• Ed

You may have multiple problems. You will need to try a few things to narrow down the problem.

If you are having problems connecting in MTP mode you should uninstall and then reinstall Windows Media Player, either Version 10 or 11, to ensure that your MTP drivers are up to date.

Did you format the card as FAT 32? If not, try FAT 32 and then insert the blank card into the Express. Check the system information on the player to check if the Express is showing the external memory.

Try using a card reader to place a few test files on your micro SD card and then transfer the card to your Express. That should at least show if the card is ok or if the Express is the problem.

The last item is to test your player with a Sandisk brand card. See the attached thread. It certainly seems to imply that non-Sandisk brand cards are hit-or-miss with the Express.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=1130

Mr_Moose,

• Windows Media Player is up-to-date. I recently had a HD crash, and this is a fresh install of WP Pro, all patches applied as well as the latest WMP 11.

• The card is formatted as FAT32. I was able to connect the device in MSC mode, format the card and then re-connect in MTP mode

• The card is only visible in MSC mode. The internal storage is always visible

• Connecting with an alternate device allows read write, as does connecting in MSC mode. The card is OK, I’ve been using it on my phone for about 6 months.

• For the last item, I’ve ordered a SanDisk brand 8g card. I really hope there are no issues with it.

Thanks for the help, I’ll post what happens with the new card. I’m hoping that it’s just a brand issue, I’ll be very disappointed if it doesn’t read the SanDisk card. I filed a ticket with tech support, but that was unusually unhelpful.

• Ed

@edembowski wrote:
Mr_Moose,

• Windows Media Player is up-to-date. I recently had a HD crash, and this is a fresh install of WP Pro, all patches applied as well as the latest WMP 11.
  • The card is formatted as FAT32. I was able to connect the device in MSC mode, format the card and then re-connect in MTP mode
  • The card is only visible in MSC mode. The internal storage is always visible
  • Connecting with an alternate device allows read write, as does connecting in MSC mode. The card is OK, I’ve been using it on my phone for about 6 months.
  • For the last item, I’ve ordered a SanDisk brand 8g card. I really hope there are no issues with it.

Thanks for the help, I’ll post what happens with the new card. I’m hoping that it’s just a brand issue, I’ll be very disappointed if it doesn’t read the SanDisk card. I filed a ticket with tech support, but that was unusually unhelpful.

• Ed

It appears that you have done everything that you can to get the card to work. Possibly the Express is not compatible with your brand of card. Before buying my micro SD cards I read about the problems some users were reporting with non-Sandisk brand cards, so when buying my cards I bought Sandisk brand. I have a few 2gb micro SD and 4gb SDHC cards, they all work.

But, I have not been able to get my 8gb card to work. According to this post from Sandisk the Express does not support 6 and 8 gb cards.  http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=1130

If you can, you may want to cancel your order for the 8gb card and get one or two 4 gb cards.

I did get the 8g card, and it works flawlessly. I’m really happy with it, and the 2g card is back in my phone. The post you refer to is for the previous version of the firmware, and the latest does indeed support 8g. I’d say that this is a brand compatibility problem. I’ve contacted support about this, and they have been singularly unhelpful. The responses have been as if they don’t even read the ticket. This forum is certainly much more useful. - Ed

Formating the card in FAT16 did the trick for me…

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=2834